Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Civic Si VS VW GTI

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-06, 11:05 PM
Lexwang07

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Civic Si VS VW GTI

Volkswagen GTI and before a single wheel was turned, we got sidetracked doing what car people like to do best: argue.

We arrived at Pomona raceway ready to pit the latest Honda Civic Si against the Volkswagen GTI and before a single wheel was turned, we got sidetracked doing what car people like to do best: argue.

The older editors (read: those who get up at 7 a.m. on Saturday ’cause it’s the thing to do) started yapping in favor of the GTI.

The GTI’s strongest attribute is its versatile 2.0-liter turbocharged inline-four that has been praised for its broad powerband and flexibility. However, it isn’t the engine’s 200 hp, but its meaty 207 lb-ft of torque that comes on at just 1800 rpm that had those editors leaning toward the Volkswagen.

While the Honda, with the same displacement, also manages close to 200 hp—197 to be exact—the normally aspirated Si achieves that with its tried-and-tested VTEC formula of high rpm. The tradeoff is a torque figure of 139 lb-ft at 6200 rpm for the Civic. The senior editors maintained that torque deficit and the Si’s “Drive it like you stole it” style would likely be enough to nudge the GTI into the winner’s circle.

But the rise-at-the-crack-of-noon staffers begged to disagree. High revs come as no surprise for a Honda. This has been so for VTEC motors for more than 15 years, and it hasn’t quelled anyone’s excitement, young or old, for prior Civics, the S2000 or the Acura RSX, among others.

With no turbocharger, the Civic has no turbo lag. And since it makes almost the same horsepower as the GTI, the Si’s proponents expected it to hold its own in a race. History also shows Hondas shine on smooth corners, and if this Civic handled to those usual standards, that could tip the scale in its favor.

We could have argued all day, but we realized that settling this debate was the very reason we had come to Pomona. One thing everyone could agree on was this test was going to be close—perhaps the closest DoubleTake ever. So without further ado, this is what we found:

First up was the drag strip, the sacred battleground for players in the world of sport compact cars. The problem enthusiasts face at the strip is finding traction with their powerful front-drivers.

Squeeze on too much throttle after dropping the clutch and we found both cars will aimlessly spin their front tires to redline. The GTI is most prone to smoke its tires due to its ample torque. We tried several launches between 2000 and 4000 rpm and discovered the VW hooks up best at 2400 rpm followed by judicious modulation of the throttle until there is enough grip. Our best time to 60 mph was 6.33 seconds and a quarter-mile of 14.72 seconds at 94.9 mph for the GTI.

We predicted the GTI would be faster at the drag strip, but we didn’t think the Si would be so close. And we actually found it faster than the GTI the higher we explored the speedometers.

The Si is easier to control at launch, thanks to a standard front limited-slip differential. We got the most traction at 2500 rpm, and the car needs a sensitive foot to avoid excess wheelspin. The Honda is around two-tenths of a second slower than the VW, posting a 6.53-second time to 60 mph, and a 14.93-second run at 95.7 mph for the quarter-mile.

So while the Si loses in a controlled test, in a real-life drag race bragging rights would ultimately come down to who gets off the line best, because after that it’s simply a matter of snatching the next gear. Keep going to 100 mph, and the Si catches the GTI, actually reaching the century mark earlier, 16.4 seconds vs. 16.44.

The gap narrows further in the braking department. We had to use dusty asphalt on one of Pomona’s neighboring lots, thanks to a vast unpaved, mid-construction section just 50 yards to our north, so keep in mind the brake and slalom results should reflect this specific test only and aren’t useful for comparison to previous tests. Both cars have antilock brakes.

In these circumstances the GTI beats the Si by three feet in stopping from 80 mph. From 60 mph and 30 mph the Si wins, by a foot. We told you it would be close.

With both cars trading punches up to this point, it would come down to a sudden-death showdown in the slalom and skidpad.

Despite dusty pavement, the Si carved around the cones with shifter-kart precision. The front end never seemed to push, yet the rear stayed planted under abrupt liftoffs. The steering is communicative and quick (13.62:1 compared to 15.6 in the VW), wasting nary a millimeter the instant you start to rotate the wheel. With roostertails of dust trailing each run, we flew through the cones at 45.7 mph in the Civic.

The GTI managed 44.6 mph in the slalom. Where the Si stays flat, the GTI leans. It is skittish at the limit and not as sorted, preferring to juggle its weight in quick transitions and oversteering even when lifting moderately off the throttle on turn-in. The GTI can put up a respectable time; it just takes more work and concentration.

On the skidpad the GTI again lags, producing 0.83 g of lateral grip, which took a few tries to get up to speed. The Si, helped again by the limited-slip differential, pulled away on its first run, eventually settling on a grippy 0.87 g.

One variable hindering the GTI’s reflexes is that it wore all-season Continental tires, a no-charge option that replaces a dedicated high-performance summer set. Summer tires are a $200 option on the Si, and our car was so-equipped. While dry-weather rubber for the VW would certainly close the handling gap, the GTI also carries an extra 431 pounds. That would hurt in any class of car.

In real-world traffic the GTI justifies the kudos the older editors threw its way at the start of the test. The car’s softer suspension and torque make for relaxed everyday livability, with downshifting to pass merely an option.

n typical Volkswagen fashion, the GTI brings a more mature, if not upscale interior to the game that will satisfy many drivers. But surprisingly, the Si beats the GTI in sound isolation by a substantial margin. At idle the Si is 8 decibels quieter and holds a 5-decibel edge when cruising at 60 mph. Even at full throttle the Si is 1 decibel quieter, despite the VW’s turbo—think wind and road noise. The Honda’s better-isolated interior is no economy cabin either.

Our Si came with a standard sunroof and optional navigation and satellite radio. Add a navigation system to the GTI’s options list and the VW would sticker for $3,000 more than the Honda.

When looked at from a statistical standpoint, the Si’s price and large advantage in the handling department hand it the win, but there is more to this car than just the numbers. Behind the wheel the Si makes you feel like an integral part of the experience and engages you in the process like sports cars twice its price.

Every shift slices through its tight gates with short throws, the pedals are positioned for flawless matching of revs, and when asked to turn left or right, the Si’s qualities unite as a single entity focused on one objective: speed.

The Si does lack the low-end torque of the turbo GTI, but this time around that issue isn’t nearly as pronounced as with past four-cylinder Hondas; sure, you need to shift more, but that’s not a bad thing when the shifter is this good.

When you sweep past 6000 rpm, the engine piles on the acceleration accompanied by that deep classic VTEC induction note that hasn’t sounded so in-tune since the Integra Type-R. It is music to the ears.

The GTI is one potent car, and if you need its added civility, you can’t go wrong with the hatch from Wolfsburg. But at this magazine, older folks included, the driving involvement part comes first.

The VW won the drag race, but the Honda tucked neatly into its draft and when the corners arrived, pulled away both statistically and subjectively. So when the Pomona dust settled to the ground—literally—the Civic Si emerged on top.
More Views
I like high-revving engines, but I prefer the GTI’s turbo. The Civic provides quicker turn-in and rolls less through corners than the VW. That’s a big plus for the Honda, but the GTI is a more appealing package top to bottom. I like the interior design and quality more; the car feels like an expensive piece, and you don’t have to drive the wheels off of it to extract the fun. —MAC MORRISON

The GTI needs a racier shifter and could stand more roll stiffness (is this a performance model or not?). The Si is more fun, but is more plaything than useful automobile if you need functional back seats and a cargo hold. The aftermarket can fix the VW’s shifter and suspension, but no one can add legroom or cargo space in the Si. —KEVIN A. WILSON

I like VTEC revs and the Si’s handling and responsiveness over the GTI, but I sure wish I could get the Si powertrain in a GTI-looking package. If I took a value approach, the Honda we tested is cheaper, so it would probably win the pocketbook battle too, but it would be closer if you dumped the sunroof and satellite radio. —BOB GRITZINGER

Count me in as a GTI guy. While the Si may be a tick or two better here or there at the track, to me the GTI is a more refined package. I fit better in it, I’ll take the more conventional interior and the hatch functionality, the clutch seems more fluid, and I like my power to come on earlier in the rev range. —MIKE FLOYD

2006 Volkswagen GTI

BASE PRICE (INCLUDES $630 DELIVERY): $22,620
AS-TESTED PRICE: $23,990
HORSEPOWER: 200 @ 5100-6000 rpm
ENGINE
Front-transverse 2.0-liter/121-cid dohc turbocharged I4
Output: 200 hp @ 5100-6000 rpm, 207 lb-ft @ 1800-5000 rpm
Compression ratio: 10.3:1
Fuel requirement: 91 octane
DRIVETRAIN
Front-wheel drive
Transmission: Six-speed manual
Final drive ratio: 3.94:1
CHASSIS
Unibody two-door hatchback
DIMENSIONS
Wheelbase: 101.5 in
Track (front/rear): 60.4/59.7 in
Length/width/height: 165.8/69.3/58.4 in
Curb weight/GVWR: 3308/4167 lbs
SUSPENSION
Front: MacPherson struts with coil springs, gas-charged shock absorbers, antiroll bar
Rear: Four-link with coil springs, gas-charged shock absorbers, antiroll bar
BRAKES/WHEELS/TIRES
Vented discs front and rear, ABS with electronic brake force distribution; alloy wheels, 225/45R-17 Continental Conti ProContact
CAPACITIES
Fuel: 14.5 gal
Cargo: 15.1 cu ft
OPTIONS AS TESTED
Package No. 1, with sunroof, XM or Sirius satellite radio ($1,370)
STANDING-START ACCELERATION
0-60 mph: 6.30 sec
0-100 km/h (62.1 mph): 6.82 sec
0-quarter-mile: 14.72 sec @ 94.9 mph
ROLLING ACCELERATION
20-40 mph (second gear): 2.4 sec
40-60 mph (third gear): 3.2 sec
60-80 mph (third gear): 4.7 sec
BRAKING
60 mph-0: 129 ft
HANDLING
490-foot slalom: 44.6 mph
Lateral acceleration (200-foot skidpad): 0.83 g
FUEL MILEAGE
EPA combined: 26.33 mpg
AW overall: 17.60 mpg
INTERIOR NOISE (DBA)
Idle: 47
Max first gear: 78
Steady 60 mph: 71

2006 Honda Civic Si

BASE PRICE (INCLUDES $550 DELIVERY): $20,840
AS-TESTED PRICE: $22,790
HORSEPOWER: 197 @ 7800 rpm
ENGINE
Front-transverse 2.0-liter/121.92-cid dohc I4
Output: 197 hp @ 7800 rpm, 139 lb-ft @ 6200 rpm
Compression ratio: 11:1
Fuel requirement: 91 octane
DRIVETRAIN
Front-wheel drive
Transmission: Six-speed manual
Final drive ratio: 4.765:1
CHASSIS
Unibody two-door coupe
DIMENSIONS
Wheelbase: 104.3 in
Track (front/rear): 59/60.1 in
Length/width/height: 174.8/68.9/53.5 in
Curb weight/GVWR: 2877/3795 lbs
SUSPENSION
Front: MacPherson struts with coil springs, gas-charged shock absorbers, antiroll bar
Rear: Double-wishbone with coil springs, gas-charged shock absorbers, antiroll bar
BRAKES/WHEELS/TIRES
Vented discs front and rear, ABS; alloy wheels, 215/45R-17 Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2
CAPACITIES
Fuel: 13.2 gal
Cargo: 11.5 cu ft
OPTIONS AS TESTED
Navigation system and XM radio ($1,750);
performance summer tires ($200)
STANDING-START ACCELERATION
0-60 mph: 6.53 sec
0-100 km/h (62.1 mph): 6.89 sec
0-quarter-mile: 14.93 sec @ 95.7 mph
ROLLING ACCELERATION
20-40 mph (second gear): 2.9 sec
40-60 mph (third gear): 4.1 sec
60-80 mph (fourth gear): 5.8 sec
BRAKING
60 mph-0: 128 ft
HANDLING
490-foot slalom: 45.7 mph
Lateral acceleration (200-foot skidpad): 0.87 g
FUEL MILEAGE
EPA combined: 25.3 mpg
AW overall: 23.55 mpg
INTERIOR NOISE (DBA)
Idle: 39
Max first gear: 77
Steady 60 mph: 66
Old 05-17-06, 11:14 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so where is the FAST? great write up!
Old 05-17-06, 11:14 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Civic is a much nicer looking car to me and it's a Honda.

Considering the way gas prices are going through the roof, I was considering getting a Civic
to take the place of my SC for daily duty.