Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

DOT proposes 80 mph limit on West Texas interstates(updated)

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-06, 05:14 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts
Default DOT proposes 80 mph limit on West Texas interstates(updated)

May 15, 2006, 5:05AM
DOT proposes 80 mph limit on West Texas interstates
Associated Press

SAN ANTONIO — Speed limits would increase to 80 mph on two West Texas interstate highways under a proposal by the Texas Department of Transportation.

The Texas Transportation Commission could take up the proposed change, which would apply to Interstate 10 and Interstate 20 in West Texas, when it meets in Austin next week.

Some advocates for fuel conservation and safety have questioned the wisdom of boosting speed limits, but transportation officials said most drivers are already cruising at nearly 80 mph.

Carlos Lopez, director of traffic operations for the department, said a survey of both interstates found that 85 percent of motorists were driving up to 79 mph.

"If people begin to think that the number on the sign is unreasonable, then they won't respect it," Lopez said. "Just putting up a lower number on the highway isn't going to slow down traffic."

The change was made possible by state legislation passed last year making 10 counties in West Texas eligible for higher speeds, starting with Kerr County and stretching to the El Paso County line.

But with gas prices at a premium, some groups said drivers should be encouraged to slow down rather than speed up.

Increasing the speed limit "will have a perverse reaction," said Peter Iwanowicz, director of environmental health at the American Lung Association. "Increasing the speed limit will increase fuel use."

U.S. Department of Energy studies show gas mileage usually decreases rapidly at speeds above 60 mph. The agency's Web site says that motorists generally pay an additional 20 cents per gallon of gas for each 5 mph they drive over 60.

Lopez said fuel conservation is already lost for most drivers, who are traveling at 77 to 79 mph.

Safety advocates also fear that raising the limit will lead to more traffic fatalities.

"Our concern is that the two biggest contributors to traffic accidents is speed and alcohol," said Jerry Johns, president of the Southwestern Insurance Information Service, an industry group. "That has been consistent for years and years and years."

Statistics kept by the Texas Department of Public Safety show each time the state has changed its speed limits, there has been a correlating effect on the number of traffic fatalities.

Department spokesman Randall Dillard said the 80 mph speed limit is intended to make driving on the interstate safer.

"It's generally considered a safer condition when motorists are traveling at a uniform speed," Dillard said.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...n/3863416.html
Old 05-16-06, 09:29 PM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so they raise the speed limit to 80, people will go 85-90. i don't see raising it to 80 accomplishing much really other than legalizing what people are already doing. if they want people to slow down, find ways to enforce it better. easier said than done i realize.
Old 05-16-06, 09:44 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Hmmmm heres an interesting thing. If you wanna drive faster you do it at your own risk. No punishments, no tickets, no points. You wreck, you injure yourself and maybe you learn a lesson. IF you want to drive slower you can. I believe that the lowest you are legally allowed to go on the highway is 45? Anyway, if you increase the limit people wont really be tempted to go much faster than 90 or so.....imo. Thats a max safe speed most people would feel comfortable at. And remember if you did increase the limit, its not like people are forcing you to go 80, you can still go 60-65 if you want to save gas.....this needs to be implemented nationwide.....stoping people for speeding is just another BS method to get easy money to the city......
Old 05-16-06, 10:14 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most vehicles have rediculously inadequate braking systems; many or even most drivers push the upper limit of safety in their SUVs and older cars - both active safety (handling, 4-wheel discs, ABS, traction, etc) and passive safety (airbags, safety cage, headrests, etc) - at anything over 60 mph. 80 mph on a high-volume road would be disaster because, as has been noted, drivers will automatically drive 5-10 mph beyond the posted limit no matter what it is. And that's just not safe at all.

Jewthiest, if there were no collateral damage caused by accidents - that is if those causing the accidents due to negligence were the only ones affected - then your idea would be fine. But that's hardly ever the case. There need to be incentives for safety - I think provisions of law and insurance provide the necessary incentives.

M.
Old 05-16-06, 10:15 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

So true Jewtheist.

In Mexico, I can drive as fast as I want. Gas ain't cheap and its pretty poor quality. We don't have license points (since foreigners living down here generally carry only their Mexican license). However, only like 15% carry any insurance down here. I do see some horrific and strange car crashes here.

If we did this in the U.S., I guarantee you there would be a lot of problems at first, but eventually it would be a lot like Mexico where people just have to get along on the roads at some point.
Old 05-16-06, 10:25 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

I like this idea. I've been traveling I-10 and I-20 for many years with family from SoCal to San Antonio or SoCal to DFW. There is literally nothing between El Paso and San Antonio other than the small towns like Van Horn, Ft. Stockton, Ozona, Sonora, Kerrville and etc. If you've travelled that stretch through Texas, you will see the reason why 80 mph is imperative through that section.

I got pulled over once doing 75 in the all 70 zone of eastbound I-10 just in the limits of Sonora, TX (Exit 400) headed towards San Antonio. The Sutton County Sherriff was hiding in the median under a bridge which is not seen around the long bend. He clocked me going 5 over. He let me go but advised to me if he was the Texas State Trooper, he would have given me a ticket on the spot...plus having an out of state license, he would have made me pay that ticket on the spot. Luckily the guy was nice enough to let me go with a warning. I've learned my lesson since....that's why I roll with a V-One today.
Old 05-17-06, 12:19 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by flipside909
I like this idea. I've been traveling I-10 and I-20 for many years with family from SoCal to San Antonio or SoCal to DFW. There is literally nothing between El Paso and San Antonio other than the small towns like Van Horn, Ft. Stockton, Ozona, Sonora, Kerrville and etc. If you've travelled that stretch through Texas, you will see the reason why 80 mph is imperative through that section.

I got pulled over once doing 75 in the all 70 zone of eastbound I-10 just in the limits of Sonora, TX (Exit 400) headed towards San Antonio. The Sutton County Sherriff was hiding in the median under a bridge which is not seen around the long bend. He clocked me going 5 over. He let me go but advised to me if he was the Texas State Trooper, he would have given me a ticket on the spot...plus having an out of state license, he would have made me pay that ticket on the spot. Luckily the guy was nice enough to let me go with a warning. I've learned my lesson since....that's why I roll with a V-One today.
The speeding tickets I've gotten have been for $520, $200, and $284, in order. I don't carry that much coin on me ever. Do they take CC?
Old 05-17-06, 12:30 AM
Ichigo
Pole Position

Posting a higher speed limit is not going to change how people drive at all. I drove around 75 mph back when speed limits were 55, when it changed 65, I still drive around 75 on avg. It really all comes down to the discretion of the officer(s) patrolling the high ways. If they feel you are a danger to yourself or to others, they will stop you and give you a ticket.

The DOT acknowlegdes the fact that people drive the speed where they feel is appropriate, the changing of the speed limit would be nothing more than a formality.
Old 05-17-06, 12:55 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ichigo
Posting a higher speed limit is not going to change how people drive at all. I drove around 75 mph back when speed limits were 55, when it changed 65, I still drive around 75 on avg. It really all comes down to the discretion of the officer(s) patrolling the high ways. If they feel you are a danger to yourself or to others, they will stop you and give you a ticket.

The DOT acknowlegdes the fact that people drive the speed where they feel is appropriate, the changing of the speed limit would be nothing more than a formality.
That's probably true. However, I typically go anywhere from 10 to 30 mph over, on average. If the speed limit were raised to 80, I think I'd be going well over 100 always. I imagine they take into account people going 20 over the limit when they designate highway speeds, though... (If they don't, they should.)
Old 06-01-06, 07:51 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Someone on another forum decided to take pics of the new signs going up. Yall sure are lucky.

Old 06-01-06, 07:52 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by magneto112
Someone on another forum decided to take pics of the new signs going up. Yall sure are lucky.

Woo hoo this is great. I'll be driving to San Antonio with family at the end of this month, this will definitely save us a few hours going through boring West Texas.
Old 06-01-06, 07:59 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by flipside909
Woo hoo this is great. I'll be driving to San Antonio with family at the end of this month, this will definitely save us a few hours going through boring West Texas.
Yea tell me about it. Is there atleast ONE curve?? Damn.

Old 06-01-06, 08:31 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

I'll take some pics of I-10 going to and from when I go later this month. That is a common sight to see traveling that highway. Straight for 30+ miles on end...and alot of dead armadillos, deer, coyote and birds on the side of the road. That part of Texas is so desolate, there are some that say "Next Services 58 Miles". That pic that was taken is I-10 West just outside of El Paso.

Last edited by flipside909; 06-01-06 at 08:34 PM.
Old 06-02-06, 03:25 AM
Skulinex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here in Atlanta, I go to work at 5am and once you reach the hwy <speed limit 55>, if you dont want to get run over, you HAVE to go with the pack.. their speed? 77-80mph.. it doesn't seem/feel that fast after you join the 'pack' , as long as everyone drives properly <not the case after 6:45am>

Id say raise it to 80 BUT strictly enforced
Old 06-02-06, 04:39 AM
aliti19
Lexus Test Driver

Man, you guys are lucky. The speed limit in the Chicago area is capped at 55. NOBODY here drives under 70, but the state troopers still nail people going 65 or 70 - it's so pathetic.

Quick Reply: DOT proposes 80 mph limit on West Texas interstates(updated)