Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

An opinion on the new GS, IS and ES

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-06, 12:44 PM
NYlexus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default An opinion on the new GS, IS and ES

I may seem biased as i have always liked the Lexus brand of cars except the old ES and LX but after seeing the new ES350 in person (several times) this weekend i have some thoughts.

For some reason, i think, all the new generation Lexus cars i.e GS, IS and ES look much much better in person as compared to pictures, ads etc.

When i saw the 3GS pic from the NAIAS i was not impressed but i saw live at the LA auto show and I bought it

Kinda liked the 2IS but i saw a black one one yesterday behind me and told my wife WOW that looks very nice, very evil

Finally the ES. Saw about 3 yesterday 2 tan and 1 black rimmed up. WOW!!! BEAUTIFUL car.

It seems the L-finnesse design needs to be seen to be believed. All the sharp yet cury at the same time defined lines on the car really make a difference when you are look at the car in person.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-14-06, 01:18 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I agree, the new ES is a beautiful car. So is new IS and so is new GS! go lexus!
Old 05-14-06, 01:23 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I like all the cars over more than their predecessors.

The 3GS interior wins my vote though. It looks stunning and the interior quality is amazing.
Old 05-14-06, 01:24 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

that new ES is hot but im still not feeling the IS. the GS is coming around for me.the LS460 and 600h is smashng everything. my 2cents
Old 05-14-06, 01:25 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For some weird reason, the "L-Finesse" designs work only in person. Pictures cannot show the detail in the curves and symmetry of the car. There are subtle details such as chrome accents, the "pearl" paint glitter, and LED lighting effects in the interiors. Also, there is a difference when you touch the car. Things such as where buttons are placed, accessibility of handles and *****, height and distance of features: they are all driver friendly. If you want something, it's right there. Lots of cars don't think about these small nuances, but Lexus has got it down right.

There is also a huge difference when you feel the car: some people love it (such as the feel of the leather) and some people hate it (like the feel of the plastics). It's best to have the car in front of you, instead of on a showroom platform or magazine.
Old 05-14-06, 01:32 PM
CHIS350
Pole Position

I think my signature says it all...
Old 05-14-06, 04:28 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by NYlexus
I may seem biased as i have always liked the Lexus brand of cars except the old ES and LX but after seeing the new ES350 in person (several times) this weekend i have some thoughts.

For some reason, i think, all the new generation Lexus cars i.e GS, IS and ES look much much better in person as compared to pictures, ads etc.

When i saw the 3GS pic from the NAIAS i was not impressed but i saw live at the LA auto show and I bought it

Kinda liked the 2IS but i saw a black one one yesterday behind me and told my wife WOW that looks very nice, very evil

Finally the ES. Saw about 3 yesterday 2 tan and 1 black rimmed up. WOW!!! BEAUTIFUL car.

It seems the L-finnesse design needs to be seen to be believed. All the sharp yet cury at the same time defined lines on the car really make a difference when you are look at the car in person.

Just my 2 cents.

I agree, they look better in person.

Old 05-14-06, 04:31 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
For some weird reason, the "L-Finesse" designs work only in person. Pictures cannot show the detail in the curves and symmetry of the car. There are subtle details such as chrome accents, the "pearl" paint glitter, and LED lighting effects in the interiors. Also, there is a difference when you touch the car. Things such as where buttons are placed, accessibility of handles and *****, height and distance of features: they are all driver friendly. If you want something, it's right there. Lots of cars don't think about these small nuances, but Lexus has got it down right.

There is also a huge difference when you feel the car: some people love it (such as the feel of the leather) and some people hate it (like the feel of the plastics). It's best to have the car in front of you, instead of on a showroom platform or magazine.
One thing Lexus has always been good at is attention to detail. There are subtle curves and lines in these cars pics can't really show. On the IS for example, if you really look in the C-pillar in person, you will notice in the middle, there is another "L" shape that goes to the roof.

The GS has subtle shapes like the rear bumper cut into the metal on the sides, well the exact same "S" shape is in the doors of this car.

"God is in the details".

L-finesse makes the cars look like Lexus but not with the German same shape different size approach.

Old 05-14-06, 04:55 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's very clear Lexus is bringing the cars more closer together in terms of style, features and performance. The family resemblance is more evident than in the past. iMO the interiors look good but are a little less luxurious than the past...except for the SC. The new LS will probably have an opulent interior also.
I do wish the 3GS looked a little sportier but most of you guys seems to like it as is. Love the 2IS but I would raise my hands in praise if it came in a coupe. The interior is still a little too tight for big guys. The ES350 is the proper evolution of a very successful car.
Lexus looks to be headed in the right direction.
Old 05-14-06, 11:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

hehe could be you, but to me the 3gs and 2is still dn't really look that good on pictures or in person. i agree they look better in person, but i still dont' think they are that good

but the es350 though, i like it since first saw the pictures, and seeing them in person only made me like the car even more
Old 05-14-06, 11:20 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Styling wise I like all of them. I own a 2IS personally and I could see myself in a GS, but I like the feel of a RWD vehicle too much to own an ES.
Old 05-14-06, 11:51 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

I didn't like the 3GS in pics when I first saw it, but likes it better in person,

but still IS350 > ES350 > 3GS for me

I also agree that all Lexus cars look better in person because you can see & appreciate the details.
Old 05-15-06, 05:44 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with you the new GS, IS, and ES look a lot better in person. I will always remember my first reaction when I saw the 3GS I thought of the Nissan Maxima and then now seeing it in person looks nothing like it but a beautiful vehicle. However I always thought the 2IS always looked good and the ES 350 was a good looker too. However I think the LS holds the best design.
Old 05-15-06, 06:06 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
hehe could be you, but to me the 3gs and 2is still dn't really look that good on pictures or in person. i agree they look better in person, but i still dont' think they are that good

but the es350 though, i like it since first saw the pictures, and seeing them in person only made me like the car even more
I agree completely.

The 3GS has an arc that sweeps from front to back along the side making it look huge but with a tiny trunk (the trunk isn't THAT small, just a miniscule opening).

The 2IS is an 'abbreviated' GS and is more 'wedge' from the side. It looks good (but not in white, sorry Mike) but the design has meant there's no rear leg room which is kind of pointless.

The new ES (5th gen?) isn't a beauty queen absolutely, but it's so much better looking than any ES before that it surprises greatly. It seems well proportioned and of course the rear seat and trunk room are excellent. The rear end/lights seemed to look better than either the IS or GS too.

So a lot of how I feel I guess comes from how the new models compare to the older ones.
Old 05-15-06, 07:31 AM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They all look OK to me not spectacular, but they at least have more personality
than previous Lexus cars.

The LS460 rules and is IMHO the best Lexus design to date L-finesse or not.
Hopefully I can afford to upgrade to one in a few years.

Quick Reply: An opinion on the new GS, IS and ES