Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

$10 Million Hydrogen Prize Offered by Gov't

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-06, 03:36 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $10 Million Hydrogen Prize Offered by Gov't

WASHINGTON - Scientists, inventors and entrepreneurs will be able to vie for a grand prize of $10 million, and smaller prizes reaching millions of dollars, under House-passed legislation to encourage research into hydrogen as an alternative fuel.

Legislation creating the "H-Prize," modeled after the privately funded Ansari X Prize that resulted last year in the first privately developed manned rocket to reach space twice, passed the House Wednesday on a 416-6 vote. A companion bill is to be introduced in the Senate this week.

Full Story:
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...drogen_prize_2
I wonder what will consititute the "major breakthrough" required for this prize to be awarded. I also question just how much of a breakthrough 10 million dollars could buy.

Do you guys think the government is doing enough to support hydrogen research?

Also, I don't know about you, but I'd rock this hydrogen-powered Opel van in a quick second (see below).

M.
Attached Thumbnails  Million Hydrogen Prize Offered by Gov't-hydrogen3.jpg  
Old 05-11-06, 03:43 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

"Major Breakthrough" would probably be something like the effect that the GS450h had on the hybrid market.

As far as specfics go, I'm guessing range?
Old 05-11-06, 03:46 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TheRupp
"Major Breakthrough" would probably be something like the effect that the GS450h had on the hybrid market.

As far as specfics go, I'm guessing range?
Yeah, I'm sure range will have something to do with it - but it'd be pretty easy to hook a trailer up to a hydrogen-converted 18-wheeler or convert the rear 2/3 of a bus to H storage and make some range spec. I sure hope there are other requirements governing size and weight ... and perhaps even performance.

M.
Old 05-11-06, 05:43 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What happened to the FINE-S? That's one hydrogen car that I definitely won't mind having.
Time to put some of your cool concepts into production, Toyota!
http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/future/fines.html

Old 05-11-06, 07:19 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

repost, but I don't remember the original thread. I do remember my response though.....

$10 mil is not an incentive when it'll cost $50 mil to get it to a working prototype.
Old 05-11-06, 09:56 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
repost, but I don't remember the original thread. I do remember my response though.....

$10 mil is not an incentive when it'll cost $50 mil to get it to a working prototype.
Yep - those were my thoughts exactly.

This isn't anywhere close to enough money for people to innovate.

Sorry about the repost.

M.
Old 05-11-06, 10:08 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by videcormeum
Yep - those were my thoughts exactly.

This isn't anywhere close to enough money for people to innovate.
If an idea is truly what the market wants the real reward will not be the prize money but the profit from selling the resulting products.

Sadly, the infrastructure for hydrogen vehicles is simply not there to genereate enough interest from the market just yet. It's a chicken or egg thing. The prize money would be better spent in building distribution channels and refueling infrastructure for hydrogen vehicles. Once the chicken is there, eggs will be hatched naturally.
Old 05-11-06, 10:23 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
If an idea is truly what the market wants the real reward will not be the prize money but the profit from selling the resulting products.

Sadly, the infrastructure for hydrogen vehicles is simply not there to genereate enough interest from the market just yet. It's a chicken or egg thing. The prize money would be better spent in building distribution channels and refueling infrastructure for hydrogen vehicles. Once the chicken is there, eggs will be hatched naturally.
I don't know - I see pretty quick technology cycles once the hydrogen bust begins. That could mean the patented technology developed at a cost of 50 million might never get picked up at all.

Good point though.

M.