Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

End of a Carrera: Porsche Announces Wrap-Up of Production on $440,000 Carrera GT

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-06, 07:18 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default End of a Carrera: Porsche Announces Wrap-Up of Production on $440,000 Carrera GT

End of the line: Porsche Carrera GTs receive final ministrations at the plant in Leipzig, Germany. (Photo courtesy of Porsche)

ATLANTA — Production of the 605-horsepower Porsche Carrera GT, which had earned kudos from critics as "the best dream car," came to an end at the company's factory in Leipzig, Germany, on May 6, the company said in a statement on Tuesday.

Porsche said the vehicle sold in "unprecedented numbers," even "in an economic climate that did not favor products in this segment of the market." More than 1,270 Carrera GTs have been sold since the car's introduction in late 2003; 604 of those went to buyers in North America. Porsche notes that it sold more Carrera GTs than the total combined production of the McLaren F1, the Ferrari Enzo and the Pagani Zonda. The Carrera GT first went on sale in North America on Jan. 31, 2004.

The Carrera GT, which has roots in the racing world, was a production car with manners. It churned out 605 hp at 8,000 rpm from a 5.7-liter V10, but it also came equipped with a standard matched-leather luggage set. The Carrera GT's performance stats are memorable. The car can leap from zero to 62 mph in 3.9 seconds and has a top speed of 205 mph.

What this means to you: Raise a glass to the passing of one of the most successful supercars of all time.

Source: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...cleId=115306#2
Old 05-10-06, 07:24 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

The cars a classic. Looking forward to a new Porsche Supercar.
Old 05-10-06, 07:24 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Porsche Carrera GT Production Ends
Text & photos courtesy PCNA
05-10-2006
The Most Successful Supercar in History

An offshoot of Porsche’s racing program and a technological tour de force, the 605-horsepower Carrera GT is a carbon-fibered symphony of speed.

The manufacture of the most successful supercar in history has come to an end. Production of the Carrera GT at Porsche’s facility in Leipzig, Germany, concluded on Saturday, May 6, 2006, bringing to a close the latest series in a line of ultra-exclusive and ultra-performing automobiles from Porsche.

In its brief production run, and befitting its ethereal performance, the award-winning Carrera GT was named “Best Dream Car 2004” by Road & Track magazine, and “Best Dream Machine” by the popular MotorWeek television program in 2005. “Even a short ride in this carbon-fiber wonder-car will spoil you for the rest of your life,” said MotorWeek host John Davis. “The Carrera GT is the best motivation to get rich that we’ve ever driven.”

Even in an economic climate that did not favor products in this segment of the market, Porsche’s V-10 powered supercar has sold in unprecedented numbers. More than 1,270 Carrera GTs have been sold since its introduction in late 2003. To date, 604 have found homes in North America. This figure represents a greater number than the total production of the McLaren F1, Ferrari Enzo, and Pagani Zonda models combined.

The Carrera GT is a storied member in a line of limited edition supercars, a lineage born from Porsche’s experience at the highest levels of world-class endurance racing. The Carrera GT owes its product modeling as an exclusive, racing-derived, ultra-high-performance roadcar to Porsche’s first supercar, the 959. Storming the world automotive stage at the Frankfurt Auto Show in 1985, the 959 was intended for “Group B” racing competition, and served as Porsche’s technology flagship—a rolling paradigm of automotive performance from which future models could draw even loftier benchmarks.

The Carrera GT supercar also had its genesis in the racing program, but instead became a street-only machine. The Carrera GT evolved from a 5.5-liter V-10 engine program originally developed for endurance competition. Enlarged to 5.7-liters for the production car, the naturally aspirated Carrera GT’s V-10 produces 605 (SAE) horsepower at 8,000 rpm, and this power is routed through a production car first—Porsche’s Ceramic Composite Clutch (PCCC®). Only 6.65 inches (169mm) in diameter, the race-caliber clutch easily handles the Carrera GT’s prodigious output while allowing the entire powertrain to sit lower in the chassis, dropping the center of gravity for even sharper handling.

The Carrera GT’s wide use of cutting edge materials prompted Popular Science magazine in 2003 to name the exotic machine the “Best of What’s New” for its advanced technology and chassis development. The Carrera GT’s monocoque chassis is constructed from bonded layers of carbon fiber tissue, resin, and aluminum and plastic honeycomb materials that are incredibly light, but strong. The entire chassis weighs just over 220 pounds (100 kg), and is mated to equally esoteric materials including forged magnesium wheels, and the staggering 380mm Porsche Ceramic Composite Brakes (PCCB®).

Thanks to near fanatical attention to weight savings, the performance results are stunning. The Carrera GT will accelerate from a standing start to 62 mph (100 km/h) in only 3.9 seconds, at which point, things really get going. The 99 mph (160 km/h) mark arrives in less than seven seconds, 124 mph (200 km/h) in under 10 seconds, and the Carrera GT can achieve a top test-track speed of 205 mph (330 km/h). Despite the otherworldly performance, the Carrera GT is still one of few supercars that can be driven every day. Traction control, air conditioning, GPS navigation, a Bose audio system, and a fitted, 5-piece, matched-leather luggage set are standard equipment.

The Porsche Carrera GT first went on sale in North America on January 31, 2004, and pricing for this ultimate Porsche supercar is $440,000 (USD).

source : worldcarfans
Old 05-10-06, 07:28 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Old 05-10-06, 08:53 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

That red one is not real....lol. It's a model.. there are a few flaws.

It seems like only yesterday this car was introduced doesn't it?
Old 05-10-06, 09:08 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

oh damnit, i am still saving up for the car......

j/k. sad to see it go, but for sure it's one dream car for a lot of people. and the fact that porsche sold so many of them, that's just incredible!
Old 05-10-06, 09:53 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

kind of funny, but Porsche did lower their production for this car - I believe they originally intended to produce around 1,600, not quite sure, but it was news half an year ago when they announced it.

Also, look wise car is nothing special really, front is more Ferrari than Porsche, despite a lot of Porsche clues.
And if I had that mesh grille on the top of my engine, I would be called ricer ;-).
Old 05-10-06, 09:56 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

If I remember correctly, I thought they originally only planned to build 1000 ?
Old 05-10-06, 01:33 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 213 Likes on 117 Posts

I saw one of these monsters for the first time on a public road here in Toronto downtown and it was some sight to behold! The sound of that high-pitched engine was so sweeeeet!!!! It was a yellow colored one.

Watch how it's value goes up even higher now that production has stopped.
Old 05-10-06, 01:52 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The GT is just stunning. When I was running errands around Rodeo Drive last weekend, there was crowd gathered around a parked red GT.
Old 05-10-06, 02:32 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

We have the only Porsche dealer in Mexico City a stone's throw away from where I live, and one of these beautiful vehicles sits inside as you drive by. Simply amazing and sad to see it leave.
Old 05-10-06, 03:22 PM
Lexwang07

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw few Carrera GTs at Beverly Hills! Dame sexy! Porsche Carrera GT stop productions anymore! My dream car! It's not really bargain supercar!

Old 05-10-06, 10:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
If I remember correctly, I thought they originally only planned to build 1000 ?
that's what i think too, but they continued the manufacturing coz' of how hot the car was selling
Old 05-11-06, 05:32 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

most successful supercar in history? on what grounds