Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cadillac’s CLK Killer?: CTS-based coupe may be headed for dealerships by 2008

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-06, 05:50 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cadillac’s CLK Killer?: CTS-based coupe may be headed for dealerships by 2008

Cadillac plans to re-enter the coupe segment with a powerfully styled CTS-based two-door, possibly by 2008 as a 2009 model.

Cadillac had hoped to keep a lid on the project, which was pushed back because of General Motors’ financial situation. The program has not been officially approved, but work is well under way—and “Bob Lutz really wants it,” sources familiar with the project tell AutoWeek. “The biggest problem for this car is GM has other, more urgent business to take care of right now.”

Insiders describe the coupe as a “bold and elegant” design statement. “This car is a new and powerful interpretation of the two-door coupe theme,” one source says.

The coupe wears now-familiar Cadillac design cues—a big, V-shaped grille, a high, wedge-shaped beltline and vertical taillights on a short trunk.

Cadillac’s coupe will be based on the upcoming, second-generation CTS sedan, which was partially unveiled April 2 by GM vice chairman Lutz on the CBS newsmagazine 60 Minutes. On the

program Lutz pulled back a car cover revealing a dramatic Cadillac grille and headlight cluster, along with a taillight, but stopped short of showing the rest of the car. Now that our spies have snapped these photographs of the actual next-generation CTS in testing, it is obvious the car Lutz showed on 60 Minutes was the 2008 CTS.

The Cadillac coupe will share its platform, front end and fender styling with the CTS, along with some other sheetmetal, to help Cadillac keep down the cost of the coupe. The coupe could come to market following the 2007 launch of the next-generation CTS sedan.

The same V6 engines offered in the CTS will power the coupe, but a V-Series coupe with a 400-hp-plus Northstar V8 under the hood is likely as well. Cadillac also is mulling over a convertible version. “It would add cost, but convertibles are where the volume is generated in this segment,” says a source.

The shrinking coupe market could be a worry for Cadillac. Main contenders include the Mercedes-Benz CLK, BMW 3 Series coupe, Infiniti G35 coupe and the upcoming Audi A5, a 2008 model year coupe based on the next-gen A4. Cadillac’s problem: Its new coupe will be significantly larger than the CLK, 3 Series and G35, raising questions of pricing and market positioning against larger and more luxurious coupes like the A5 and BMW 6 Series.

An insider estimates volumes of 25,000 to 30,000 cars annually. “They don’t know whether that is enough,” the source says. “It is a difficult market, with high initial volumes that tend to drop sharply after 18 months or so.”

While the CTS-based coupe could be developed quickly, there is speculation of a larger coupe with a V12 engine that carries design cues of the Cadillac Sixteen concept car and could be sold in the $75,000 range.

“The new vehicle is definitely a Cadillac,” an insider says. “There is a lot of enthusiasm for it within the company.” GM can probably expect that enthusiasm to extend to fans of the marque who appreciate its history.

Cadillac has a rich heritage of high-class coupes, including the 400-hp, 500-cid Eldorado of the early 1970s, and the Pininfarina-styled and built Allante convertible of the late 1980s and early 1990s. Cadillac’s last coupe was the Seville-based Eldorado Touring Coupe that ceased production in 2003.

Coupe Contenders
2007 BMW 328CI
BASE PRICE: $35,000 (est.)
POWERTRAIN: 3.0-liter, 230-hp, 200-lb-ft I6; rwd, six-speed manual
0 TO 60 MPH: 6.2 seconds (mfr.)

2006 Mercedes-Benz CLK350

BASE PRICE: $46,525
POWERTRAIN: 3.5-liter, 268-hp, 258-lb-ft V6; rwd, seven-speed automatic
0 TO 60 MPH: 6.4 seconds (mfr.)

2006 Infiniti G35 Coupe

BASE PRICE: $33,850
POWERTRAIN: 3.5-liter, 280-hp, 270-lb-ft V6; rwd, five-speed automatic
0 TO 60 MPH: 6.0 seconds (est.)

Source: http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...305090001/1065
Old 05-09-06, 07:35 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Caddy CTS coupe on the way

Coupe Contenders

2007 BMW 328CI

BASE PRICE: $35,000 (est.)
POWERTRAIN: 3.0-liter, 230-hp, 200-lb-ft I6; rwd, six-speed manual
0 TO 60 MPH: 6.2 seconds (mfr.)

2006 Mercedes-Benz CLK350

BASE PRICE: $46,525
POWERTRAIN: 3.5-liter, 268-hp, 258-lb-ft V6; rwd, seven-speed automatic
0 TO 60 MPH: 6.4 seconds (mfr.)

2006 Infiniti G35 Coupe

BASE PRICE: $33,850
POWERTRAIN: 3.5-liter, 280-hp, 270-lb-ft V6; rwd, five-speed automatic
0 TO 60 MPH: 6.0 seconds (est.)

Cadillac plans to re-enter the coupe segment with a powerfully styled CTS-based two-door, possibly by 2008 as a 2009 model.

Cadillac had hoped to keep a lid on the project, which was pushed back because of General Motors’ financial situation. The program has not been officially approved, but work is well under way—and “Bob Lutz really wants it,” sources familiar with the project tell AutoWeek. “The biggest problem for this car is GM has other, more urgent business to take care of right now.”

Insiders describe the coupe as a “bold and elegant” design statement. “This car is a new and powerful interpretation of the two-door coupe theme,” one source says.

The coupe wears now-familiar Cadillac design cues—a big, V-shaped grille, a high, wedge-shaped beltline and vertical taillights on a short trunk.
KGP Photography
Cadillac’s coupe will be based on the upcoming, second-generation CTS sedan, which was partially unveiled April 2 by GM vice chairman Lutz on the CBS newsmagazine 60 Minutes. On the

program Lutz pulled back a car cover revealing a dramatic Cadillac grille and headlight cluster, along with a taillight, but stopped short of showing the rest of the car. Now that our spies have snapped these photographs of the actual next-generation CTS in testing, it is obvious the car Lutz showed on 60 Minutes was the 2008 CTS.

The Cadillac coupe will share its platform, front end and fender styling with the CTS, along with some other sheetmetal, to help Cadillac keep down the cost of the coupe. The coupe could come to market following the 2007 launch of the next-generation CTS sedan.
KGP Photography
The same V6 engines offered in the CTS will power the coupe, but a V-Series coupe with a 400-hp-plus Northstar V8 under the hood is likely as well. Cadillac also is mulling over a convertible version. “It would add cost, but convertibles are where the volume is generated in this segment,” says a source.

The shrinking coupe market could be a worry for Cadillac. Main contenders include the Mercedes-Benz CLK, BMW 3 Series coupe, Infiniti G35 coupe and the upcoming Audi A5, a 2008 model year coupe based on the next-gen A4. Cadillac’s problem: Its new coupe will be significantly larger than the CLK, 3 Series and G35, raising questions of pricing and market positioning against larger and more luxurious coupes like the A5 and BMW 6 Series.

An insider estimates volumes of 25,000 to 30,000 cars annually. “They don’t know whether that is enough,” the source says. “It is a difficult market, with high initial volumes that tend to drop sharply after 18 months or so.”
Courtesy CBS News
While the CTS-based coupe could be developed quickly, there is speculation of a larger coupe with a V12 engine that carries design cues of the Cadillac Sixteen concept car and could be sold in the $75,000 range.

“The new vehicle is definitely a Cadillac,” an insider says. “There is a lot of enthusiasm for it within the company.” GM can probably expect that enthusiasm to extend to fans of the marque who appreciate its history.

Cadillac has a rich heritage of high-class coupes, including the 400-hp, 500-cid Eldorado of the early 1970s, and the Pininfarina-styled and built Allante convertible of the late 1980s and early 1990s. Cadillac’s last coupe was the Seville-based Eldorado Touring Coupe that ceased production in 2003.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...305090001/1024
Old 05-09-06, 07:38 AM
Milla...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am starting to respect caddy more and more.
Old 05-09-06, 07:44 AM
LexFather

THis could be a GREAT move for them. I mean, a GREAT one.

Old 05-09-06, 08:23 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Definately a needed coupe. The XLR is too much of an upgrade.

It's like Lexus; we only have the SC. Where's the IS coupe?!?
Old 05-09-06, 08:27 AM
CHIS350
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This IS coupe is coming!

There is no way I can every take Cadillac seriously. They will always be an "also-ran"
Old 05-09-06, 08:37 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Though this looks outstanding, sporty Caddys just dont work for me. Big floaty cars like the Fleetwood and Deville is what I will always think about when someone mentions Cadillac, not a CTSv or a XLRv.
Old 05-09-06, 08:47 AM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Cadillac has come a long way but they still even a longer way to go. The Cadillac coupe looks interesting. We'll have to wait and see when it hits the streets...
Old 05-09-06, 08:55 AM
GUNRU-GS4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A lot of people don't like the way the newer style Cadillacs look. I like them! I like the new STS, CTS and XLR. I've never owned one and probably never will but I kinda like their body styles.

Whats funny is my local Lexus dealership is also a Cadillac and Hummer dealership too. They are all owned by the same person, on the same huge lot, but totally different buildings. I wonder if they all get along Harvey Lexus, Cadillac, and Hummer = Mr. Harvey is rich$$$$
Old 05-09-06, 01:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by magneto112
Though this looks outstanding, sporty Caddys just dont work for me. Big floaty cars like the Fleetwood and Deville is what I will always think about when someone mentions Cadillac, not a CTSv or a XLRv.
You're STILL thinking about Fleetwoods? They haven't been built for 10 years.

However, I agree with you to this extent.......Caddies are not supposed to be drag-racers or corner-carvers. In trying to compete with BMW, Cadillac has almost completely forgotten the silver-haired crowd ( and those of all ages who like a soft, easy-riding car ) who traditionally kept them in buisness. It may have helped them a little in short-term sales but will hurt them in the long run.....today's corner-carvers and aggressive drivers will probably someday want mushmobiles too.