Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota President Steps Down Amid Lawsuit

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-06, 09:39 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Toyota President Steps Down Amid Lawsuit

Toyota President Steps Down Amid Lawsuit
May 9, 12:27 AM EDT
By YURI KAGEYAMA
AP Business Writer

TOKYO (AP) -- The president and CEO of Toyota Motor North America, who was accused last week in a sexual harassment lawsuit, is leaving the post, the automaker said Tuesday.

In response, the world's No. 2 automaker chose its first American as president of the region's operations.

Hideaki Otaka, 65, who had been scheduled to leave his post in June, has voluntarily left earlier. He said his staying on went against the company's interests, but said he was innocent of the charges. Jim Press, now president of Toyota Motor Sales USA, Toyota's U.S. sales unit, will replace Otaka as president.

Otaka was accused in a $190 million sexual harassment lawsuit filed last week in New York. In that lawsuit, Sayaka Kobayashi accused him of harassing her when she worked as his personal assistant, making repeated unwanted sexual advances after she began working for him last summer. She said the conduct continued until winter, when she was involuntarily transferred out of the job.

Toyota Motor Corp.'s U.S. unit named a new executive team, including Press and Yuki Funo, 59, now chairman of Toyota Motor Sales, as the new chairman and chief executive of Toyota Motor North America.

Toyota Motor North America is a subsidiary of Toyota Motor Corp. It oversees Toyota's manufacturing and sales operations and 31,500 employees in the U.S., Canada and Mexico.

The company, based in Toyota City, central Japan, said it will strengthen measures against harassment and discrimination, including thoroughly reviewing Toyota's practices and increasing training for senior executives to prevent misconduct.

Toyota Motor Corp. President Katsuaki Watanabe said the company hoped to build its reputation for excellence under the new North American team.

Kobayashi's lawsuit said Otaka manipulated her travel and work schedules so they were alone together, had her accompany him to social functions, and groped her at a Washington D.C., hotel and in New York's Central Park.

When she reported the inappropriate conduct to Toyota officials, they urged her to work it out privately with her married boss, the lawsuit says. Kobayashi, 42, said that as a result of her complaints she was removed from the job and told she could either leave the company or return to a former position in the planning department.

Toyota, which is also targeted in the lawsuit, has not commented on the lawsuit.

"While I expect to be fully vindicated in the recently filed litigation against Toyota and me, I have regretfully come to the conclusion that my continued service as president would serve as a distraction and ultimately not be in the interests of the company," Otaka said.

Japanese companies have often been castigated for their slow cultural changes regarding views on the role and advancement of women in the workplace.
http://customwire.ap.org/dynamic/sto...05-09-00-27-44
Old 05-08-06, 09:43 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Legally it's not sexual harrassment until 1.) A complaint is made and/or 2.) sexual assualt occurs

I'll never figure out why it is that those who are supposedly being harrassed refuse to report it.

She said the conduct continued until winter, when she was involuntarily transferred out of the job.
Uh huh ....

M.
Old 05-08-06, 10:50 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by whipimpin
Legally it's not sexual harrassment until 1.) A complaint is made and/or 2.) sexual assualt occurs

I'll never figure out why it is that those who are supposedly being harrassed refuse to report it.

Uh huh ....

M.
Are sexual harrassment laws universal?
Old 05-09-06, 03:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

If he IS guilty, of course, then fine...he's probably doing the right thing, but if he is not, then he certainly is not doing the company any good by letting an overzealous ( and perhaps lying ) woman browbeat him out of his job...that is ludicrous.

I personally believe in strong action taken against sexual harassers, but also strong action taken against those who try to abuse the system and file false charges.
Old 05-09-06, 06:33 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by whipimpin

Uh huh ....

M.
I would have to guess that Sayaka Kobayashi is Japanese and at age 42 is a bit old school. I'm a big fan of Japan, but it was, and to an extent still is a different world for women in and out of the work place. And their culture as a whole is very different. Everything is done for the good of the society as a whole. Your personal problems and struggles are of a lesser consequence and they are also a very private society.
Old 05-09-06, 07:17 AM
LexFather

Crazy, I mean just nuts. WELL GOOD LUCK TO OUR PAST PRESIDENT AND TO OUR NEW ONE!

They are very honorable there, I am sure he did it so Toyota could be taken out of the negative spotlight.

She needs to swim with the fishes.

Old 05-09-06, 07:21 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

They are very honorable there, I am sure he did it so Toyota could be taken out of the negative spotlight.

Oh of course they did. Matter of fact...

Jim Press is new president of Toyota Motor North America
Automaker replaces exec accused of sexual harassment

Toyota Motor Corp., moving quickly to squelch the bad publicity over charges of sexual harassment against its top executive in America, on Monday replaced that executive.

Jim Press, 59, president of Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. Inc., has been promoted from the sales company to become president of Toyota Motor North America in New York. Respected as one of the brightest minds in the automotive business, Press will oversee the holding company for the corporation in America.

Also, Yuki Funo, 59, chairman and CEO of Toyota Motor Sales in Torrance, Calif., will add the titles of chairman and CEO of Toyota Motor North America. Funo's change takes effect immediately, Toyota said.

They will replace Hideaki Otaka, who has resigned as president and CEO of Toyota Motor North America.

Otaka, 65, was subject of allegations that over several months last year he twice groped and sexually harassed his executive assistant, Sayaka Kobayashi, 42. On Monday, May 1, Kobayashi sued Otaka and Toyota in New York Supreme Court, seeking $190 million. The lawsuit got widespread publicity.

Toyota Motor North America handles investor relations and government affairs for the automaker. It also coordinates messages on those areas from Toyota's sales and manufacturing operations in North America and the parent company in Japan. But it is not an operating company. Toyota's North American sales and manufacturing report directly to Japan.

At Toyota Motor Sales, Toyota Division General Manager Jim Lentz, 50, will become executive vice president and take over Press' operational duties. But Press' post of Toyota Motor Sales president will not be filled immediately, the automaker said.

The job changes for Press and Lentz must still be approved by Toyota's board of directors, which meets June 23.

Task force formed
In addition:

Former Secretary of Labor Alexis Herman will head a seven-person task force to review Toyota's sexual harassment policies and procedures. Herman is chairman of the automaker's Diversity Advisory Board. In addition to Herman, four other members of the task force are women.

All Toyota executives in the United States will be given special training "to enable them to better recognize, prevent and handle any instances of inappropriate behavior," the automaker said in a statement.

A policy change will now require that any charges of harassment or misconduct against a chairman, CEO or president of a Toyota affiliate be reported directly to the unit's board of directors.

The policy change is significant.

In her lawsuit, Kobayashi says she reported her allegations first to Ko Takatsu, Toyota Motor North America's vice president of human relations. But she says the company did not investigate.

Then in early December, Kobayashi says she took her complaints to Senior Vice President Dennis Cuneo, the second-highest executive in Toyota's New York office. Otaka was Cuneo's boss.

Kobayashi says Cuneo arranged a private meeting between her and Otaka. But instead of an apology, Otaka criticized and humiliated her.

Toyota's announcement of the executive changes makes no mention of Cuneo.

Toyota spokesman Irv Miller said, "From what I can tell, Dennis will continue to perform his job functions at TMNA. Other than that, I cannot comment."

In Toyota's announcement, Otaka said he expects "to be fully vindicated" in the lawsuit.

"I have regretfully come to the conclusion that my continued service as president would serve as a distraction and ultimately not be in the best interests of the company," Otaka said in a statement.

Otaka has withdrawn from being considered for a job as in-house auditor at Toyota affiliate Daihatsu Motor Co. in Japan. He will be a Toyota retiree, and won't pursue another job within Toyota until the legal case against him concludes, a company spokesman said.

Lentz on fast track
The personnel move is a major boost for fast-tracker Lentz, Toyota group vice president and Toyota Division's general manager.

While Lentz keeps the responsibility over Toyota Division, he also assumes all the operational oversight that Press previously held. His new corporate title will be executive vice president, instead of the president's title that Press held.

With this move, Lentz has vaulted past numerous other Toyota veterans in the executive hierarchy, an impressive move considering Lentz was working in the shadows just a few years ago.

Although he joined Toyota in 1982, Lentz first came to the public eye when he led the launch of the Scion youth brand in 2002, a position he surrendered to become vice president of Toyota Division marketing later that year. Lentz, 50, was promoted to his current job in March 2005.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../60509001/1041
Old 05-09-06, 08:21 AM
Milla...

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Crazy, I mean just nuts. WELL GOOD LUCK TO OUR PAST PRESIDENT AND TO OUR NEW ONE!

She needs to swim with the fishes.
Why do you say this? Is this based on an assumption or fact? Were you there in the office with the two of them, or outside the office with your ear up against the door? What if shes not lying, you know not all accusations are false, and we can't assume this one is simply because hes a some top exec. This doesn't automatically make her a lier simply trying to get paid and it surely doesn't make him infallible, chances are this guy is a perverted jerk, I've met too many in my line of business, and that too doesn't mean that they all are either I'm just saying we don't really know so we can't respond as though we do.
YOUR past president (cuz he surely isn't mine) could be one of the biggest perverts in the company and just might be a good reason why he's taking it upon himself to step down, yeah before all the rest of his victims come foreward and put Toyota in some serious light.
Old 05-09-06, 08:26 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think 1SICK's attitude comes from the fact that the woman filed a $190 million lawsuit.

one hundred and ninety million dollars and "not just trying to get paid" ?

yeah. right.
Old 05-09-06, 08:53 AM
Milla...

I don't give a rats crack how much the suit is for the fact of the matter is is what possibly happen to this women and if she was victimized she has the right to clean their clock if she can, thats about the most damage you can do to these people anyway without shooting their freakin knee caps off and then being put into prison for it.

You know what? I really think that you men have to be sexually harassed to understand, I really do and no not by a women either, for you guys to really get the point you'd have to be sexully harassed by another man, I think then you wouldn't put up so much resistance to these sort of things. Ha you guys would be talking more like a 200 mill suit. and for the guy to be put in jail. Oh yeah that is if you didn't first blast his knee caps off and went to prison first.

So please... spare me the wet laundry here fellas.

Last edited by Milla...; 05-09-06 at 08:58 AM.
Old 05-09-06, 08:55 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by whoster
i think 1SICK's attitude comes from the fact that the woman filed a $190 million lawsuit.

one hundred and ninety million dollars and "not just trying to get paid" ?

yeah. right.
yeah but you would of done the same thing so dont throw stones......
Old 05-09-06, 09:01 AM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Milla...
Why do you say this? Is this based on an assumption or fact? Were you there in the office with the two of them, or outside the office with your ear up against the door? What if shes not lying, you know not all accusations are false, and we can't assume this one is simply because hes a some top exec. This doesn't automatically make her a lier simply trying to get paid and it surely doesn't make him infallible, chances are this guy is a perverted jerk, I've met too many in my line of business, and that too doesn't mean that they all are either I'm just saying we don't really know so we can't respond as though we do.
YOUR past president (cuz he surely isn't mine) could be one of the biggest perverts in the company and just might be a good reason why he's taking it upon himself to step down, yeah before all the rest of his victims come foreward and put Toyota in some serious light.
I don't think 1SICKLEX was accusing her but seeking $190 million is far too exessive...

Were you there in the office with the two of them, or outside the office with your ear up against the door? What if she's lying, you know not all accusations are true, and we can't assume this one is simply because he's a some top executive.

These were your words which I saw the other side as well...

Last edited by Trexus; 05-09-06 at 09:05 AM.
Old 05-09-06, 09:15 AM
Milla...

Originally Posted by Trexus
I don't think 1SICKLEX was accusing her but seeking $190 million is far too exessive...

Quite possibly, and I'm sure he can clear that up. And too I realize that he didn't directly say that shes a lier either which I'm sure he may bring to our attention. I'm just repsonding to the attitude and mentality some here expressed in this thread toward women who are possibly victized. It takes a lot courage for most women to stand up against ones in a male dominted industry when it comes to their rights, even more so in that culture. I mean dang the mentality in this thread alone gives us some clue of that.
Then too the fact that these thing are often abused doesn't help any, so for these women with legitimate cases its a serious up hill battle.
Old 05-09-06, 09:29 AM
Milla...

Originally Posted by Trexus
Were you there in the office with the two of them, or outside the office with your ear up against the door? What if she's lying, you know not all accusations are true, and we can't assume this one is simply because he's a some top executive.

These were your words which I saw the other side as well...
This is true she very well could be lying her tail off I mean I wasn't there either she could be the biggest jerk of them all and if so her knee caps need to be blasted. All I'm saying is its possible that she was harassed its not impossible. I guess the thing that got me uptight was the attitude right off the bat, maybe 190 is excessive maybe not I don't know what the man did to her or didn't do, but just to assume or should say here insinuate without facts based on some report that shes being foul is unfair.

Last edited by Milla...; 05-09-06 at 09:34 AM.
Old 05-09-06, 09:37 AM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Yes, it is difficult to believe who is right. There's three sides to every story, your side, my side and the truth...

Congratulations Milla you're about to hit a thousand posts...

Quick Reply: Toyota President Steps Down Amid Lawsuit