Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My Opinion: Toyota Has the Best-Looking Lineup on the Road Today

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-06, 06:46 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Opinion: Toyota Has the Best-Looking Lineup on the Road Today

About five years ago, it hit me one day that every single car Mercedes-Benz produced was a looker. Across their entire line-up, there was a presence and a beauty that really made me admire their styling. That was one generation ago, and now their cars are less impressive: generally blander, more generic, and less distinctive (with obvious exceptions, but I'm talking about the entire line).

Then the other day it hit me again: Toyota now holds that honor. From the Scion to the LS460, virtually every Toyota product offered today or promised soon looks good to great. Even the Yaris, the new Camry, the new Rav4... they have that "presence". And the Lexus lineup is... well, quite impressive. I have to say that the new ES is better looking than any previous iteration, the new IS is, for the first time, a head-turner, and even the RX is attractive in its own way. While hardly ugly, the new GS is the least impressive of this new breed, but across the board Toyota simply has a beautiful lineup of cars, trucks, and SUVs.

I realize this is very subjective, but does anyone else agree?
Old 05-08-06, 06:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman
About five years ago, it hit me one day that every single car Mercedes-Benz produced was a looker. Across their entire line-up, there was a presence and a beauty that really made me admire their styling. That was one generation ago, and now their cars are less impressive: generally blander, more generic, and less distinctive (with obvious exceptions, but I'm talking about the entire line).

Then the other day it hit me again: Toyota now holds that honor. From the Scion to the LS460, virtually every Toyota product offered today or promised soon looks good to great. Even the Yaris, the new Camry, the new Rav4... they have that "presence". And the Lexus lineup is... well, quite impressive. I have to say that the new ES is better looking than any previous iteration, the new IS is, for the first time, a head-turner, and even the RX is attractive in its own way. While hardly ugly, the new GS is the least impressive of this new breed, but across the board Toyota simply has a beautiful lineup of cars, trucks, and SUVs.

I realize this is very subjective, but does anyone else agree?
Yes and no. Toyota / Lexus DOES make some lookers, but the xA, xB, Yaris, Echo, and SC430 are not among them. The center-mount gauge cluster in some of these products, IMO, is especially awkward, and the xB has all the beauty of a shoe box. On the other hand, I especially like the looks of the Corolla, GS300 / 430, and FJ Cruiser.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-08-06 at 06:59 PM.
Old 05-08-06, 07:10 PM
CHIS350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes and no. Toyota / Lexus DOES make some lookers, but the xA, xB, Yaris, Echo, and SC430 are not among them. The center-mount gauge cluster in some of these products, IMO, is especially awkward, and the xB has all the beauty of a shoe box. On the other hand, I especially like the looks of the Corolla, GS300 / 430, and FJ Cruiser.
You have to remember though, that the xA and xB fill a niche for people that like those boxy cars! Just look at the G-wagon and MB's "smart" cars or whatever they call them.
Old 05-08-06, 09:49 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, xb and xa are fugly as hell, but IMO SC430 is one of the sexiest cars in the world.
Old 05-08-06, 10:03 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I totally agree. The Scion vehicles are doing well. Their looks are subjective and the xA, xB and tC have grown on me. The new Camry's exterior looks great but alot of people aren't diggin the interior. I think the new Tacoma and the new Tundra rocks. Lexus of course is very impressive. I just saw the new ES 350 commericial where it's a black ES 350 and is looks really good. L-finesse has taken Lexus to the next level. After I purchase the next generation Tundra I think I'm going to get the new IS...

Toyota - Moving Forward
Lexus - The Passionate Pursuit of Perfection
Scion -

Last edited by Trexus; 05-09-06 at 08:18 AM.
Old 05-08-06, 11:02 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Ive always liked every sedan and coupe in the Lexus lineup since 1989. As far as Toyota, I dont really like the Corolla especially with that bodykit. Th Matrix was cool when it was first released, but now it looks dated IMO and there are a ton of them in the baseline trim package with no rear tint and small hubcaps. Looks ugly like that. Same for the xA, but the xB has grown on me some, but still kinda wierd to look at. The rest of the Scions and Toyotas are okay to very nice in my book. The only Lexus design I dont like that much is the GX. To tall and narrow for me, but damn that interior is nice and it rides beautifully. I could make a case for it.
Old 05-08-06, 11:59 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think the New Lexus lineup is the best-looking one on the road today!
Old 05-09-06, 03:54 AM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
Well, xb and xa are fugly as hell, but IMO SC430 is one of the sexiest cars in the world.

i agree with ya, i to believe that the SC is one sexy car, especially if that baby is in black for read or blue, that car is hott
Old 05-09-06, 03:59 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

For me, mercedes has got to be the best looking lineup. They have fine little details with amazing curves (ie. cls-series).

Even I think the c-class looks better than any current lexus' offering
Old 05-09-06, 04:24 AM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSteg
For me, mercedes has got to be the best looking lineup. They have fine little details with amazing curves (ie. cls-series).

i think the only C model that looks good is the Kompressor and AMG model because of the aggressive bumper and such, the other ones are nice but not aggressive
Old 05-09-06, 10:15 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree, except that the C and CLK really don't do anything for me. But IMHO, the rest of the MB lineup is simply great. Heck, I even like the design of the new ML.

If MB could somehow improve reliability to a level somewhat near Lexus, MB would be unstoppable.

However, I do like the direction Lexus has taken with L-Finesse. Each succesive model released keeps looking better. Too bad, since my GS is the first of the L-Finesse models
Old 05-09-06, 11:04 AM
LexFather

Sometimes I wonder is it that Toyota/Lexus is good looking or is it the fact most cars/SUV are just ugly?

I think its a mixture of both. I have never seen so many ugly, ungainly, robot turds in my life. There are A LOT of ugly vehicles on the road, including Toyota.

Old 05-09-06, 12:24 PM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I must agree Mercedes has the best looking cars.
Lexus has gotten a lot better.
Old 05-09-06, 01:50 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Actually...out of all the Lexus, the IS-series looks the best to me, but the side profile is too bland. there are no curves or distintive line. Just a panel of metal. THe front and rear looks great the way it is.