Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Chrysler 300 slated for interior update

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-06, 05:25 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Chrysler 300 slated for interior update

Chrysler 300 slated for interior update
Chris Vander Doelen, CanWest News Service
Published: Friday, May 05, 200

Design - DaimlerChrysler Inc.will completely redo the still-fresh interiors of several of its vehicles, including the two-year-old Chrysler 300, says Ralph Gilles, one of the creators of the phenomenally successful car.

While the Chrysler Group has found the 300 is still gaining sales on the basis of its bold exterior design -- its best sales month was February, nearly two years after its launch -- the company has decided it needs to upgrade its interiors to better compete with its mainly German and Japanese competition.

"We need an update" of the 300, Gilles said after a panel discussion between some of Detroit's top automotive designers. He called interior quality "a deal closer" that is particularly important to female car buyers, who make up 52 per cent of the market.

The interior of the 300 -- and that of its stablemate, the Dodge Magnum -- were designed between 2001 and 2003. That was in the midst of a do-or-die corporate restructuring that saw Chrysler close plants in the U.S. and Canada and shed 30,000 employees. The company couldn't risk spending as much as it wanted to on the quality of the interior finishings.

"You're going to see a significant improvement in the interior of that car" when the new version hits the market, Gilles said at a meeting of the Automotive Press Association. He refused to say when that would be. "I can't tell you. It's coming."

Gilles said other models in the Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep lineup have also been targeted for an interior refresh, and a budget allotted for each of them
http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/...3-0d6d048300f4
Old 05-07-06, 05:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Good. Despite a lot of surface glitz, the underlying quality of the interior materials was ( and is ) one of the greatest weaknesses in these cars.....along with a second-rate paint job. A better-quality interior and a little more care in the painting process would go a long way toward making these cars some very credible alternatives to Japanese-nameplate designs....they already have well-designed Mercedes-dervied chassis and transmissions.
Old 05-07-06, 05:53 PM
BlkGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great, im thinking about buying one!
Old 05-07-06, 07:01 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

I'm looking forward to see this update. Smart move for Chrysler. They are not sitting on their ****.
Old 05-07-06, 07:21 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This cannot happen soon enough!
Old 05-07-06, 07:27 PM
CHIS350
Pole Position

I have a Dodge Magnum...I kind of like the interior. It's soft rubberish unlike most Domestics that are hard plastic....nice color coordination too.

It's a great car, very happy with it.
Old 05-08-06, 03:51 PM
LexFather

If they do this, it will only show that hte CTS and STS and Lincoln Sedans should basically not be made. The 300C is on par with them for a much cheaper price already. With an improved interior, it will not be a true import killer.

Old 05-08-06, 04:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
If they do this, it will only show that hte CTS and STS and Lincoln Sedans should basically not be made. The 300C is on par with them for a much cheaper price already. With an improved interior, it will not be a true import killer.

Well, the CTS's interior itself could use a lot of improvement as well. The new STS interior, however, is stunning, especially with the luxury wood trim option. So are most of the new Lincoln interiors, at least looks-wise, especially with the white seats and dash.....I'm sure you saw some of them at the Atlanta show.

Remember those pictures of the Lincoln Zephyr's interior you posted for me when I reviewed that car?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...lincoln+zephyr

As nice as that car looks inside, the new flagship MKS's interior is even more stunning.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-08-06 at 04:21 PM.
Old 05-08-06, 04:37 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Hopefully they ditch the SUV steering wheel... it's pretty awful.

"How do Germans pronounce Daimler Chrysler?"

"The Chrysler is silent..."
Old 05-09-06, 02:22 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Its about time. I traded my 05 Magnum RT in for a GX. One of the more painful things on the DC LX cars (300, magnum, charger) is the very hard rubber they use on the door armrests and the center console cover. They would give me a calluses on both of my elbows. Very, very uncomfortable. But the front seat legroom on those cars is unbelieveble. I'm 6'3" and even I had to move the seat 3" forward to be able to reach the pedals confortably. And the thing also had adjustable pedals making it even more comfortable.
Old 05-09-06, 03:35 PM
CHIS350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
Hopefully they ditch the SUV steering wheel... it's pretty awful.

"How do Germans pronounce Daimler Chrysler?"

"The Chrysler is silent..."
No I think it's pronounced "Daimler-Benz"