Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What are your Driving Peeves?? (Top 10 list)

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-06, 08:54 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Default What are your Driving Peeves?? (Top 10 list)

So, What Aggravates You the Most on the Road?
/ Hagerty Collector Network

To put an end to the more than 30 million Americans expected to hit the road this Memorial Day weekend, Hagerty Collector Network polled its members to uncover America’s “Top 10 Driving Pet Peeves.” The results revealed some surprising, yet common “sins” of the road every driver should know as the summer travel season officially begins!

To end the guessing, here are the Top 10 Pet Peeves of the Road, in order of their “irritation index”:

1. Distracted drivers talking on cell phones (Motor Mouths) Americans love to multi-task so it comes as no surprise that drivers drifting into other lanes while dialing, downloading, texting or just good old fashioned phone chatter, makes Motor Mouths the survey’s number one pet peeve.

2. Slow drivers in the fast lane (Turtle Racers) It doesn’t matter to these Turtle Racers that the average traffic flow is 15-20 mph faster than they are traveling; they just “cruise” at their own pace!

3. Pushy drivers who tailgate (Piggybackers) Unless you’re at Daytona racing Dale Jr. for the lead, there’s no reason to climb up another driver’s bumper. Piggybackers should leave the bump-drafting to NASCAR.

4. Drivers who weave through traffic to gain one or two car lengths (Wacky Weavers) These Wacky Weavers employ what’s known as “cut and thrust” motoring techniques, chopping off fellow motorists, changing lanes with abandon – all in an effort to roll up to the next red light 10 seconds before you do.

5. Obnoxious drivers who speed up to keep you from changing lanes (Gap Snatchers) It’s a mystery why these Gap Snatchers, who can clearly see fellow drivers’ signals to change lanes, find it necessary to keep other drivers “in their place.”

6. Hasty drivers who change lanes without signaling (Space Invaders) Over the years, auto manufacturers have refined the operations of that little stalk that extends from every vehicle’s steering column (turn signal duh). Space Invaders obviously haven’t caught on to this radical, cutting-edge technology yet.

7. Road Rage (Road Ragers) We’ve all experienced Road Ragers. These offenders obviously will not stop until you respond to their “need to communicate” which comes in many forms including “sign language” (flipping of the middle finger), the “shout out” (using words that no good Samaritan should say), as well as the ever-popular “Honk-a-holic” (no description needed!)

8. Motorcyclists who race down the middle of a lane, between cars (Speed Racers) This is the kind of behavior that gives some motorcyclists a bad rap. Not surprisingly, some of these Speed Racers end up high-sided, face down on the pavement, but not before they’ve left a new contour on your favorite ride or nearly given you cardiac arrest as they speed in between vehicles.

9. Women applying makeup and men shaving (Driving Divas) Don’t these Driving Divas have indoor plumbing? Please, spare the rest of us and handle personal grooming habits at home.

10. Drivers who leave their turn signal on for miles (Morse Coders) Now let’s be fair. Perhaps these Morse Coders are part of the SETI project, their turn signals beaming out across the galaxies in search of other life forms – or not.

We also had many respondents who came up with their own pet peeve prankster names. Here is a list of them:

Clueless Cruisers: People who drive like they just bought the road, and haven't a clue that anyone else might be using it.

The Egoist: The road is his, so get out of his way or just deal with it.

Fake Outs: People who, while stopped at a red light, don’t have their indicator on but once the light turns green, they hang out in the middle of the intersection waiting to turn left – with you stuck behind them.

Flame Throwers: People throwing lit cigarettes out the window when they are done with them.

Four-Way Fatheads: Those drivers at four-way stop intersections that quickly push ahead before you have (within your rights) completed a turn within, or have exited the intersection.

Inattentives: Persons who wander back and forth or can't seem to maintain a constant speed, gradually slowing down until you try to pass, then suddenly waking up and accelerating.

Leap Froggers: Drivers that pull onto shoulders or entrance ramps to leap frog ahead of their place in stopped traffic.

Monkey-See, Monkey Do’s: Drivers that will only drive at the speed of the car next to them.

Reluctant Rampers: People who enter the expressway so slow that that they endanger other drivers.

Road Readers: People who read the newspaper or a book while driving.

And one particularly funny one: Tighten the nut behind the wheel! Thank you to everyone who wrote in and helped us end the guessing.
http://www.hagerty.com/NewsManager/t...=979&zoneid=52
Old 05-06-06, 10:12 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default My Ten

1) People who never use turn signals.

2) People that spit out of their car. (Especially when I'm on my motorcycle.)

3) People that cross the double yellow line of a carpool lane. (Especially when I'm on my motorcycle.)

4) Slow people in the fast lane.

5) People that drive on the freeway shoulder during traffic.

6) Teenagers on cell phones.

7) People that own expensive racing/performance cars but drive 10 mph below the speed limit.

8) People that think that their loud music is good for everyone on the road.

9) People that have spinners and think they're cool.

10) Ricers that want to race when a red light turns green.
Old 05-07-06, 09:50 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

OMG all of those are dead-on

I have 4 more:

1. Picknosis-nose picker
2.The ten minute right turn
3. Vampire syndrome-afraid of the sun so have to use a piece of paper/newspaper to cover the whole face
4. Lane hogger-they get into your lane after you signal to get in and block you

I like philips #7
Owning an S/SL/E 55 amg or sports cars and driving 50 on the #1 freeway lane
Doesn't mean you have to be a speed demon and wreckless but come on.......

Last edited by GS3Tek; 05-07-06 at 09:53 AM.
Old 05-07-06, 11:02 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

People who throw cigarettes out the window. One got stuck on my windshield the other night. I wasn't happy.
Old 05-07-06, 11:18 AM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This morning, 7am-ish on the way to the office. Decided to 2-lane it there, nice day for a drive thinking no idiots out this early.

I get tailgated all the way there for nearly 25min, to the point to where I couldnt see the ladys headlights. After a nice "lockup" and a finger did she back the F off.

I am already going 5-10 over in a place that is twisty\2-lane with homes and streets on this main road, I am really not in the mood to clip someone doing 55-60 in a 40.............

Idiots...........
Old 05-07-06, 11:40 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Women who ride the brakes halfway between one stop light to another.
Old 05-07-06, 12:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

What do I hate about driving the most?

1. Unnecessary DO NOT ENTER signs and barricades.

2. Unnecessary speed bumps

3. Traffic lights that alternate red and green and make you stop unnecessarily when they could be flashing yellow instead during periods of light traffic.

4. Unnecessary traffic lights / stop signs, period....especially on hilly terrain. This places an extra....and unnecessary.....load on the engine, transmission, and brakes by forcing you to start and stop on hills where gravity is sometimes working against you.

5. NO PARKING signs where parking space is in high demand and restrictions are unnecessary.

6. People who go to town council meetings ( typical of many civic association groups ) and downright LIE to those in authority about " speeding " in their neghborhoods that doesn't really exist....or doesn't exist on a significant scale, in order to get more traffic " calming " devices when those calming devices are in fact NOT needed.....and of course the people in power who actually listen to this garbage and believe it. I have actually seen this myself at council meetings.

7. The attitude on the part of these people that this is MY ( or OUR ) neighborhood and MY street and traffic doesn't BELONG on it ( in spite of the fact that we ALL pay taxes to support that street and use it )

8. Roads and streets that are crumbling and pothole-strewn, not because we don't tax enough, but because of spending priorities.....the tendency to spend HUGE amounts of money on schools and little or nothing on road maintenance.

9. Idiots in 4WD or AWD vehicles that think that they are beyond the laws of physics and drive on snow or ice like it was dry pavement.....with predictable results.

10. Drivers, that when they DO speed or drink and drive, and get caught, come up with ENDLESS excuses for why they were doing so and why they should not have to pay the price.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-07-06 at 12:36 PM.
Old 05-07-06, 03:13 PM
AJ
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All of the above I'll also add:

- People who stop in the shade with a mile away from the red light .
Old 05-07-06, 04:44 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

A lot of them are all true.. We have all experienced this at one time or another and even done some of this stuff..

i think PhilipMSPT said few good others ones for example about the expensive car driving done the road doing 10Mph under the speed limit.. Very true Philip.. I saw this today on I -95..
Old 05-07-06, 04:58 PM
tuddy
Negative Nancy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tmf2004
A lot of them are all true.. We have all experienced this at one time or another and even done some of this stuff..

i think PhilipMSPT said few good others ones for example about the expensive car driving done the road doing 10Mph under the speed limit.. Very true Philip.. I saw this today on I -95..

they do it for the attention, saw a lambo murc today and he was holding up traffic on the westside highway

i hate the shoulder passers where are the cops then
Old 05-07-06, 05:11 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

From Mexico City in no apparent order:

1) Driving on the lines, not between them.
2) Talking on the phone and obtaining the imaginary right to drive as you please due to that fact
3) Nudging out into traffic since you are too impatient to wait
4) Look at the pretty lights, red, yellow, green, what do they mean?
5) Using the left turn signal in the left lane when you are too slow to be there
6) Driving vehicles you can't handle
7) Jaywalkers
8) My car is new so get out of the way
9) Avoiding the use of turn signals to save those extra centavos (cents down here) on buying new bulbs
10) My personal favorite: Racing against Lexmex's modified RX300 and thinking you can win since you just put an extra weight aerodynamic kit on your (insert Mexican market vehicle not available in Canada or the U.S.)
Old 05-07-06, 07:54 PM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i hate it when your slowing down to a stop sign but the guy on your right waits until I fully stop before they slowly go across the road. and yea every thing on that list and yes I am a leap-frogger haha
Old 05-07-06, 08:50 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1. Teenage Female drivers.

Scott

Last edited by sonyman; 05-07-06 at 08:54 PM.
Old 05-08-06, 02:44 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

6. Hasty drivers who change lanes without signaling (Space Invaders) Over the years, auto manufacturers have refined the operations of that little stalk that extends from every vehicle’s steering column (turn signal duh). Space Invaders obviously haven’t caught on to this radical, cutting-edge technology yet.
Absolutely!

And also:

-- Impatient drivers that honk while you are trying to be careful around pedestrians, other cars, etc.

-- Cars that speed out of driveways onto streets without looking.