Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

1SICKREVIEW (long)-the Atlanta Auto(reviews, surprises, let downs and brutal honesty)

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-06, 10:24 AM
LexFather

Talking 1SICKREVIEW (long)-the Atlanta Auto(reviews, surprises, let downs and brutal honesty)

So I went to our Atlanta Auto Show and if you have been to auto shows in other cities, this is as exciting as buttering your Thomas English muffins. Some of it is the fact, even though Atlanta is a car heavy city and Atlanta revolves around cars, the people there, are just not enthused people. Not many kids either, who bring a lot of energy (And noise and running and drooling) to the show. Not sure why.

I don't think the layout has changed in 10 years. Every year the same thing, you come down the escalator, Toyota to your left, Ford to your right, Nissan across from Toyota and the parent companies stay together (Toyota/Lexus Honda/Acura, Ford/Volvo etc etc etc).

Its so PREDICTABLE.

Now I went by myself, b/c I was going to try to sit and review every damn car there, no matter I liked it or not, so I can speak better of the car here on Car Chat. I had MMarshall in mind with his fair reviews.

So below, I will name a few cars and things that stuck out and if I don't mention a car/truck you want my opinion of, please ask. I didn't take pics b/c there was nothing new there.

Old 05-06-06, 10:29 AM
LexFather

Honda Fit totally owns the Toyota Yaris.

For those that insist I am biased, kiss my entire rear. The Yaris is cuter, IMO to look at but goodness, the interior is just cheap. And those central gauges SUCK. I hate it, its ridiculous, all you see is an expansive cheap plastic. The seats were like sitting on a basketball and for a Toyota, I was just stunned. Fit and Finish wasn't great either. THere were clever storage bins all over.

The Fit for one felt roomier. And the dash is far superior, typical great Honda gauges. Both cars doors shut with the authority of an econo car, not great. To me the Fit had better fit and finish. The seats were more comfy. To me it was also easier to see out of.

For those that don't know, interiors to me, may possibly be the most important aspect of a car, BECAUSE THAT IS WHERE YOU SIT AND DRIVE. IMO, **** poor interiors will get blasted by me.

Its like sitting in a living room with a 15 year old worn out sofa, a 10" black and white t.v and no tables. You don't want to be there.

Old 05-06-06, 10:34 AM
LexFather

Toyota display, no new Tundra . As a matter of fact, they had a road course to drive the current Tundra and Tacoma.

No thanks.

The hybrid Highlander was on the display turning and had lots of interest, Toyota clearly will sell more of these.

The FJ Cruiser is not bad, bigger in person than I thought, the interior is roomy, for 25k, wow, what a different vehicle!!! The rear though, wasn't that spacious and with that huge pillar right there and black interior, screamed Funeral home.

The Prius, another central Dash I don't like but its very spacious and its hard to say but just sitting in it, you feel good about yourself. Its like the test you studied for and you get an A and you feel smug b/c you ACTUALLY STUDIED!!!

The Camry, they are going to sell tons of these. Looks better in person, its just HUGE in size, its a big car. The interor, some don't like it but I thought its class leading. I loved it. And tons of room front and rear, the rear clearly gained more room. The doors shut with a good authority and its quiet inside.

The Avalon, wow what a big car. I think the aluminum trim is a bit much though, c'mon, its an Avalon. Very roomy and IMO, well built and great fit and finish. Too many buttons for me, glad you can cover them up You know its for the Buick crowd but it is more avante garde than, well, a Buick.

Old 05-06-06, 10:35 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Mike, was that one Toyota Tacoma exhibition there? the one where you can take the trucks around the dirt course?
Old 05-06-06, 10:40 AM
LexFather

LEXUS

Well, to my surprise, there on the display, the LS 600h!!!!

First things first, the car is purple. Dark purple. Its not black, its not dark blue. Its purple, like my ex-girlfriends thong. Why purple? I mean, only under the light can u tell, otherwise, it does look black.

Second, Lexus was nice enough to leave doors open so u can see the inside. My goodness, its awesome. And the rear seat recliner and t.v and rear vanity mirror and swivle table, its a place for a KING!!!

THis is clearly the most advanced and most luxurious Japanese product ever made. Incredible.

I looked under the car, its as flat as a Porsche. I mean, the bottom is smooth! You can see that there isn't much space for anything under the car, they used every square inch and filled it with tech.

The brakes are huge, front AND rear. The rear caliper is the biggest I have ever seen on a Lexus. I think as big as a RX 400h front caliper.

As for looks, in pics, I still was skeptical but its a good looking car. Has PRESENCE, people clammored around it. The front is DYNAMIC and the headlight assembly is very nice, like a mirror.

I actually like the rear I think most.

Overall, the way I overheard people talking, Lexus has another instant hit.

Old 05-06-06, 10:44 AM
LexFather

LEXUS

The new ES 350 was there as well. Wow, not bad looking! Again, I like the rear, the front could be on any car quite frankly. THe rear seats have much more room. My head did hit the headliner though.
This car was quiet as a tomb with the doors closed. Scary. The interior was top notch, but IMO, I prefer the 4ES interior. I just was not floored by it. But you can tell fit and finish is top notch. Seats more comfy than the last ES and IMO, more front legroom which is good.

I was surprised by the people checking the ES out, as its not exactly and exciting car. I think another hit is here as well.

The IS, what a good looking car, its really grown on me. I like the front the best, what an aggresive and badass front end!! It is small inside, tons of room up front, the rear is a lol, very tiny.

The GS, fits me like a glove. It is small too in the inside, very coupe-like. The fit and finish IMO was better than the LS 430 and SC 430 so I bet the LS 460 fit and finish will be incredible.

Not many buttons, you feel like you will concentrate on driving and not playing with some dumbass ****. The wood, IMO, is very glossy though, much more than the 2GS.

I see a 3GS in my future.....

Old 05-06-06, 10:45 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by flipside909
Mike, was that one Toyota Tacoma exhibition there? the one where you can take the trucks around the dirt course?
Yes sir, all sorts of obstacles and the like on the road.

Old 05-06-06, 10:48 AM
LexFather

Now right next to Lexus, poor Acura. No traffic. Why they chose to be right next to Lexus, I have no idea. It was weird b/c Acura is between Lexus and Chevy and Chevy had the Z06 and Camero Concept so people just walked between the 2.

The TL, great size inside, nice dash, decent seats, I can see again, why this car is a hit. The RSX was there in a nice orange color but why, its discontinued!

I didn't see the RD-X there. This was a bland display with bland cars. Yuck.

I try the RL again. I can again see why this car rusts on dealer lots. You don't feel 50k anywhere in this car. The wood maybe real but feels and looks like plastic. The Tl interior was more "harmonious" in design. The RL is just weird on the inside. The exterior is so bland, its a shame.

Old 05-06-06, 10:50 AM
LexFather

Chevy, the Z06= drool. Its beatiful, why can't American companies use that SAME PASSION in all their cars.

Let me tell you the Camero Concept was a HIT!!! Tons of people around it. And its a VERY good looking car!! I know the 21 and 22" wheels wont' make it but if its similar, a hit. Has the Vette LS-2 engine. I loved this car. GREAT WORK CHEVY!!!

Old 05-06-06, 10:52 AM
LexFather

I actually sat in all the BUicks. Let me tell you, they have come a LONG way. The interiors are not bad!! Not everything is "there" but the actual dashboards are very nice. The center consoles need work. All of them were very spacious, especially the Lucerne.

They had a Buick concept SUV that looked VERY good, but I forgot the name. the interior looked great too!

As for traffic, they would have LOVED to the be Acura both. It was DEAD there, I think the sales people were shocked I was there like 10 minutes.

Old 05-06-06, 10:55 AM
LexFather

Honda,, as exciting as Toyota, which meant boring as hell. they had some Element all hooked up but it still looked like a robot turd.

The ridgeline (GOD FORGIVE ME) ain't bad to sit in! Spacious and it did feel like a car. Great big gauges. I LOVE the giant door handle, that you pull to close the door. VERY GOOD IDEA!!

However, my goodness its one ugly truck. Its BIG too, very big!

The Civic, wow, what a different dash! Not a big fan but its just weird in a good way! Good fit and finish too. I LOVE THE HANDBRAKE ON THE CENTER CONSOLE!! What a great idea!!!

Old 05-06-06, 11:06 AM
LexFather

Now directly across from Lexus is Infiniti which is after Honda. And OH SNAP, they got the G35 sedan there, the 07.

Before I begin, let me explain why I have no respect for this company as they are CLUELESS. As I sated Lexus had the LS 600h (And I FORGOT THE new ES 350 and GS 450h) on TURNING DISPLAYS. And RIGHT IN FRONT, where all the traffic is. So it gets attention and people come to see.

Dumbass Infiniti, again, has the new G35 sedan, on a display, IN THE BACK!!! IN THE BACK!!! I mean, you could literally miss this car! I was in shock, they were going to get traffic b/c they are righ across form Lexus and put the new car in the BACK!!!

I'll start there, it does look better in person than in pictures. I still don't know though, where they are going with this styling though. For one, it looks much better than the current one, which, IMO is just damn ugly. So that is good. The front is clearly, from teh M35/45. I mean they didn't even try to make it look different. The sides have some sculpting and random lines. The rear is the worst, it looks weird.

Overall though, while IMO it doesn't look sporty (more buick sport kit) its not bad. It somehow manages to look good.

In another DUMBASS infiniti move, while Lexus keeps the doors open on display cars, the freaking doors were locked, so I couldn't see insde with the 0% tint.

Dumb.

Otherwise, I sat in the current G35 and IMO, the worst interor I sat in all day. Horrible, even with the touch up. The retarted seat controls under my *** made it take me 40 minutes to sit in the car. EVERY OTHER CAR AT THE SHOW HAS THE CONTROLS WHERE THEY SHOULD BE, BY THE SIDE. I sit in the car, move the seat. With the G35, I have to move the seat, then sit in the car.

SURPRISE

The M35. For one it feels more spacious than the GS and Rl. The no gloss wood is different and nice! The seats feel pretty good. The gauges suck ***. The console, too many damn buttons, like an old BMW and then a **** on top of that.

I thought the damn **** was to get RID of the controls?

But I liked sitting in it, I was VERY comfortable. And out of ALL THE DAMN CARS at the show, I can sit IN This car, not ON it and lean my arm OUT THE WINDOW and be comfortable!!!!

Most all new cars, you can't do that, you sit UNDER the car and you can't lean your arm out without being in discomfort.

Overall, I can see again, why this car is a hit for them. And the sound system wasn't too bad either.

If they used this SAME THINKING in this car in ALL their cars, history could have been different.

Old 05-06-06, 11:09 AM
LexFather

Okay getting tired

Lincoln. They should hang the man by the ***** whoever came up with the dumbass barb-wire grill on the new Lincolns. It looks HORRIBLE. Why would they do that??

Chrysler had the M412 there!! You know the concept they won't make. IT was BADASS!! I loved it!! Very weird and dynamic.

Jaguar had the new XK there and they tried to get traffic by puttin this soft PURE WHITE carpet on the ground but NO ONE NOTICED. Sad, worse than the Buick stand. NO ONE THERE.

They got a NEW XK convertible on the stand and no one noticed

PORSCHE DIDN'T ATTEND!! THOSE BASTARDS!!!

Old 05-06-06, 11:11 AM
LexFather

Also, as beautiful as they are, all Aston Martins looks the same in black.

Bentley, wow, what different looking cars.

The S550, why those wheel arches?? But very busy, its a hit. People were lininig up sitting in this AND the CLS.

Audi

They had a RS4 there!! locked but WHAT A GOOD LOOKING CAR!!

They had a S6 on display, V-10 and all, but it looks so plain. WHY THE HELL WOULD U PUT A V-10 IN A SEDAN AND HAVE IT LOOK LIKE THE DIESAL MODEL!!?!??!?!?!

DUMB DUMB DUMB!!

I liked the A4, really liked the A3. I fit in both well and great fit and finish.

BTW, Audi armrests SUCK

Old 05-06-06, 11:16 AM
LexFather

VW, the Jetta, very nice as the Golf. I could not belive though, under the armrest, they put the 6 disc CD changer!!

In a Toyota,you can get an 6 disc in dash CD and they have this giant 6 disc changer eating up space under the armrest. Dumb.

Love the gauges and fit and finish.

SURPRISE

The Passat. GREAT LOOKING inside and out. The one with the PLOOD trim is horrible. Horrible wood. The one with the real aluminum is DROOL. Wow amazing the difference it made!!! Great fit and finish and IMO, why buy the A6? THis car was great, just as big, and cheaper.

BMW
Z4 coupe is one ugly *** car. I almost puked.

The X3 is so sissy its ridiuclous. They were ALL TEH WAY in the back, but as you know, we will buy them anyway

Surprise

M6, OPEN TO SIT IN!!! It looks good, in a way that is just different. The seats are GREAT, wow. I cannot believe this dash and gauges are in a car costing this much. Sad. The rear seats are in name only. But you still felt inside, your in AN EVENT!!!

It was the blue color, I mean, it was really nice to me. I came back and sat in it 3 times.

I had some fun talking to the BMW salesman, he was a *****, and I was being one too.

We got along great.

Quick Reply: 1SICKREVIEW (long)-the Atlanta Auto(reviews, surprises, let downs and brutal honesty)