Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota trying to win Ford truck loyalists

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-06, 06:31 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Toyota trying to win Ford truck loyalists

Toyota trying to win Ford truck loyalists
Asian carmaker aims to chip away at Big Three's dominance in full-size truck market.
Sean M. Wood / San Antonio Express-News

SAN ANTONIO -- Joe Arizola was a loyal Ford pickup driver until about a month ago.

"I had never even liked to stop at a Toyota place," Arizola said. "I just never liked it. I was from a Ford family. I just saw a Toyota before I was going to buy me a Ford. I just stopped by accident."

He stopped at Universal Toyota and bought a 2006 Tundra, which he uses to shuttle his rebar crew from the office to job sites. Now he's looking down the road to the next-generation Toyota that will start rolling off the assembly line in San Antonio in November.

"If I was to buy another truck it would have to be a Toyota," Arizola said.

Toyota, which remains a distant fourth in U.S. trucks sales behind Detroit's Big Three, is trying to rope in buyers with a taste of the Tundra in hopes they will trade up after new models hit dealer lots in January.

Nabbing a Ford loyalist such as Arizola is key as Ford remains the dominant truck brand in Texas. It's led the country in sales for 29 straight years and sells more pickups in a year in Texas than Toyota sells in the entire country.

Toyota is doing what its U.S. competitors have relied on to boost sales: It's offering incentives on the 2006 model -- $2,000 cash back or 0 percent financing. It's also offering a low lease rate with the hope of getting those '06 Tundras back in trade for the newer models about 18 months down the road.

"Our incentives are pretty much comparable to what Chevy is doing on the Silverado," said Mike Michels, spokesman for Toyota Motor Sales USA. "Both Silverado and Tundra are approaching sell-down. Incentives always rise toward the end of a model cycle."

Michels said U.S. consumers buy the last models in a product cycle because they feel they're getting a good deal, unlike in Japan, where as soon as a new model is announced the old ones stop selling.

Jesse Toprak, director of pricing for the automotive Web site www.edmunds.com, said special pricing at the end of a model cycle is typical.

"There's usually a significant pricing difference in the outgoing model and the new model," Toprak said. "You entice them by making a very attractive deal. You are essentially selling the deal and not the car."

Last summer the domestic carmakers relied on employee pricing and huge cash-back offers to produce record sales and reduce inventories.

Toyota's pickups have always come up short in the size and power department in comparison to the domestic half-ton trucks on the market. But now the Japanese carmaker is promising a bigger, more powerful Tundra.

Arizola said the Toyota drives like his family car, a Volvo. Ironically, Ford owns the Volvo brand.

Sales figures from the company show Tundra sales are down compared with 2005. But Universal Toyota General Manager John Mathews said that has more to do with inventory than waning interest.

"The supply is lower than before and the sales rate is faster than in December," Mathews said. "What a positive thing for retained value for the customer. We're taking late-model Tundras in trade. It's very encouraging for me as a dealer."

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...605030326/1149
Old 05-04-06, 06:33 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Default Toyota responds to Ford's truck spokesperson Toby Keith with Brooks and Dunn

Toyota responds to Ford's truck spokesperson Toby Keith with Brooks and Dunn

Toyota Motor Corp., which is looking to break into the competitive U.S. market for full-size pickup trucks, Wednesday announced a two-year sponsorship deal for country music stars Brooks & Dunn.

The marketing campaign is part of an effort by Toyota to reach America's big truck buyers, the one remaining part of the U.S. market still considered fiercely loyal to the traditional Big Three.

Toyota is also sponsoring a professional fishing tour, NASCAR events and touting its contributions to the U.S. economy — all messages intended to appeal to the heartland truck drivers who might otherwise opt for a domestic brand.

Last edited by magneto112; 05-04-06 at 06:37 PM.
Old 05-04-06, 06:36 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Default Tundra Darell Waltrip Edition

Coming spring 2006. Forget autographed photos. Darrell's ultimate signature is on his 2006 Special Edition Tundra. TRD 18-in. alloy wheels. Custom graphics. Custom grille. TRD dual exhaust. And strictly limited to 2000. All of which makes it one souvenir you won’t see very much. Unless, of course, it's in your driveway.

http://www.toyota.com/tundra/dw.html