Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Jiffy Lube Scam

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-06, 06:22 PM
darksparkz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jiffy Lube Scam

http://www.nbc4.tv/investigations/8881193/detail.html

There's a video on it too.

This could actually cause trouble, ie not replacing oil filter on oil change after a while can actually hurt the engine.
Old 05-04-06, 06:39 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

you can ensure that they DO replace parts (if you felt so inclined to go to jiffy lube) by asking them to give you back the parts they take out of the car. They are required to give you back the parts that come out should you ask for them back.
Old 05-04-06, 06:43 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, that's interesting video. I will move this thread to car chat because it will get more respones.

It's amazing how people can get away with these kind of stuffs. I work at the dealership and we have to go by the book. One mistake can cause a tech his job and may be banned from Lexus for life( yeah, the tech will never get the job at Lexus or Toyota dealer again).

From my own experience, one of my friend bought his 1995 LS400 to an independece shop for an oil change. They told him he need timing belt, front brake and rear brake overhaul because the calipers are stuck. BTW, the 95 LS was my personal car and I sold it to my friend right after I got the 2001 GS. My friend called me with a question like WTF.......??????...... I just told him never go back there again.
Old 05-05-06, 09:11 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by VVT-i
Wow, that's interesting video. I will move this thread to car chat because it will get more respones.

It's amazing how people can get away with these kind of stuffs. I work at the dealership and we have to go by the book. One mistake can cause a tech his job and may be banned from Lexus for life( yeah, the tech will never get the job at Lexus or Toyota dealer again).

From my own experience, one of my friend bought his 1995 LS400 to an independece shop for an oil change. They told him he need timing belt, front brake and rear brake overhaul because the calipers are stuck. BTW, the 95 LS was my personal car and I sold it to my friend right after I got the 2001 GS. My friend called me with a question like WTF.......??????...... I just told him never go back there again.
In Mexico, my friend's bad experiences at dealers has been that they charge you for stuff not done. Several people have taken their Chevys to one dealer I know in particular just for oil changes or brake pad changes and come out with just a car wash, yet are billed as if the oil change or brake pad work was actually done.
Old 05-05-06, 12:57 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

It's instances like this why I tend to ask for my parts back in a majority of services. This occurs with such frequency, the news could run these bad shop segements all year round and still come up with a long list of cheaters.
Old 05-05-06, 01:08 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

It happened to me too at Jiffy Lube. I normally do most of the work myself but I was lazy that day so I took the CRV in for an oil & filter change then I went accross the road of a hamburger.

They never did the work. The car still had the old honda OEM filter and the old oil. I confronted the manager and all he could say was sorry. That was my first time to Jiffy Lube and also the last time. #*($^ them crooks.
Old 05-05-06, 01:51 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

time to change places where my bro went for oil changes
Old 05-05-06, 02:19 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Going to JL is never a good idea.

I wish it was possible for these cheaters to be slapped with big lawsuits, and for the state attorney’s office to be extremely strict when dealing with these cheaters who not only rob people of their hard earned money, but cause car troubles later down the road due to unfulfilled maintenance
Old 05-05-06, 02:27 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Jiffy lube will never come within 50ft from my car, even if I had a 1992 toyota tercel.
Old 05-05-06, 03:34 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

I only go to Jiffy Lube to give them my used motor oil and filter so they can deal with it properly. Or not, I dunno. As long as I don't have it.
Old 05-05-06, 03:45 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by NYLexSC
I only go to Jiffy Lube to give them my used motor oil and filter so they can deal with it properly. Or not, I dunno. As long as I don't have it.
they probably put it in customer's cars so they save more money
Old 05-05-06, 08:40 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 359 Likes on 249 Posts

That's why I change my own oil...and just about everything else.
Old 05-05-06, 09:41 PM
gs4rocks
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NYLexSC
you can ensure that they DO replace parts (if you felt so inclined to go to jiffy lube) by asking them to give you back the parts they take out of the car. They are required to give you back the parts that come out should you ask for them back.
That's the easy part. How about transmission flush, radiator flush, tire blance, etc..
I've never seen a completely honest shop (not just Jiffy) out of probably more than 50 shops I've been to in last 20 years.

Even the Lexus dealer that I just went to last week which is far better than anyone I've been to try to rip me off of cabin filter.
I was getting brake pad replacement, and the service rep says I need new A/C cabin filter.
What's funny is that I just change that myself less than a month ago.
Old 05-06-06, 01:33 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Back in the 90s, I had my oil changed at a Grease Monkey location in Montclair. I knew the owner of the franchise because I was referred to him by a friend. I never had any problems and this guy, Tom Campbell, went out of his way to do extra stuff for me, my brother, and our friends. I moved to Monterey, CA for grad school and went to a Jiffy Lube for oil changes because I had no place to do them myself in my apartment complex. My AE86 Corolla was always overfilled by 1/2 quart (the 4AG-E takes 3.6 qts and the 4 AC aparently takes 4 qts according to the Computer). I actually pushed the car to an adjacent parking lot and drained 1/2 quart of oil and took it back to Jiffy Lube.

I also had the experience at a Jiffy Lube in Alexandria, Virginia, when I drove the car away and it was misfiring. I took it back and the spark plug wires were not connected in the correct order.I thought it was strange because I never once disconnected the spark plug wires on that car when I changed the oil myself. They fixed the issue and I asked why they even needed to disconnect the spark plug wires since the oil filter is located under the exhaust manifold and no where near the plugs.

After that, I changed the oil in my cars myself for 7 years. I only recently started having oil changes done by Dynamic in Midway City because I was referred to them (Ted and Son) by VeilsideGS300. Dynamic is great and I recommend them. They are professionals and, the first time I left my car there, I didn;t wory about them scuffing the wheels, etc. for a second.

I will never take a car to Jiffy Lube or any other place like it, where the hungover technician may or may not be able to remember whether he/she put the drain plug back in. I'm either doing the oil changes myself or going to Dynamic and I'll only revert to doing them myself if I move out of the area.
Old 05-06-06, 08:36 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by link13

After that, I changed the oil in my cars myself for 7 years. I only recently started having oil changes done by Dynamic in Midway City because I was referred to them (Ted and Son) by VeilsideGS300. Dynamic is great and I recommend them. They are professionals and, the first time I left my car there, I didn;t wory about them scuffing the wheels, etc. for a second.

I live down the streets from them. They are awesome people!

Quick Reply: Jiffy Lube Scam