Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota wants its designs to shout 'hybrid' - providing instant recognition

Old 05-04-06, 06:05 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Toyota wants its designs to shout 'hybrid' - providing instant recognition

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Company hopes to come up with a style that provides instant recognition.

Anita Lienert / Special to The Detroit News

Toyota designers say they are rethinking the exterior styling on the company's hybrid vehicles.

While the Prius hybrid was applauded for its rather futuristic look when it debuted, other Toyota hybrids have been ultra low-key.

The Toyota Highlander Hybrid doesn't look much different from the conventional gas engine Highlander.

And you have to really squint to be able to tell that the Lexus RX 400h is a hybrid or pop the hood, where "Hybrid Synergy Drive" is written on the engine cover. And, yes, Lexus downplays its hybrid styling so much that the "h" in the crossover's name is lower case.

But all that is changing, according to Jin Won Kim, 29, a senior creative designer at Toyota's Calty Design Research Inc. in Newport Beach, Calif.

"The hybrid is an iconic statement for Toyota," said Kim. "We will come up with a design that shows a vehicle's hybrid-ness, because a hybrid should have a distinctive look."

He's not talking about the little green leaves you see on the nameplates of such vehicles as the Ford Escape Hybrid, either.

Kim said the trick will be to let consumers know instantly that the vehicle is a hybrid, inside and out.

"One of the things you may see are green or blue lights on the sides of the hybrid or maybe even on the hood that illuminate when the car is in hybrid mode," he said. "Also, a hybrid battery needs a lot of cooling, and so we are experimenting with unusual air intakes and outlets that will add a styling element."

The Japanese designers are also considering showing off the hybrid's battery pack, which, up to this point, has been hidden behind the rear seat.

Kim said the new hybrid styling philosophy is likely to extend into the cabin, where there may be a more dramatic instrument panel display that lights up when the car is in hybrid mode.

Honda took some good-natured ribbing from critics when its quirky-looking Insight hybrid debuted. Some called it a "science experiment." But the thinking is shifting back toward a futuristic look for hybrids -- and that may be another way to get reluctant consumers behind the wheel.
Old 05-04-06, 07:19 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just give all hybrid models and only hybrid models the LED headlight treatment and I guarantee you that that alone will sell the hybrids like hot cakes.
Old 05-04-06, 07:30 PM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
But all that is changing, according to Jin Won Kim, 29, a senior creative designer at Toyota's Calty Design Research Inc. in Newport Beach, Calif.

The Japanese designers are also considering showing off the hybrid's battery pack, which, up to this point, has been hidden behind the rear seat.
I thought Jin Won Kim is a Korean name, not a Japanese name...

Well, maybe they are really all the same to the Americans
Old 05-04-06, 07:31 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Hmm... I said this a couple of weeks ago.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I think car makers need to make more UNIQUE hybrid vehicles, not just stick them in an existing chassis.
From here
Old 05-04-06, 07:31 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

They were talking about this last year. I remember reading somewhere that customers of the RX and Highlander wanted to stand out from te crowd.

Wanna see what these lights look like. Hopefully they dont stand out like those Neon bulbs that used to be popular.
Old 05-04-06, 08:58 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Interesting.

The first thought that comes to mind is the Hybrid Camry, and then LS 600h L. I think the Lexus approach should maximize special trims and badging, but I think the Toyota nameplate has more leeway for the 'neoned'-out Camry, etc.