Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Jaguar Receives Award for Pedestrian Deploying Hood

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-06, 08:17 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Jaguar Receives Award for Pedestrian Deploying Hood

Pyrotechnic Pedestrian Deployable Bonnet

Jaguar has received the 2006 World Traffic Safety Symposium’s Traffic Safety Achievement Award in the Automaker Category for the new XK's Pedestrian Impact Safety System.

To reward major advancements in traffic safety, the World Traffic Safety Symposium recognises organisations and individuals that are creating a safer environment for motorists and pedestrians. Each year, nominations are submitted for the Symposium’s Achievement Awards and winners are selected by the Symposium’s Advisory Committee, which is comprised of auto safety experts from government agencies, educational institutions, private foundations and individuals with a passion for the advancement of traffic safety.

Chris Sams, spokesperson for the World Traffic Safety Symposium said: “Jaguar deserves this honour for its commitment to pedestrian safety and for its innovation and technical excellence. “The judges were particularly impressed by the far-reaching, comprehensive nature of the Jaguar system.”

This recognition is due in large part to the 2006 XK’s Pyrotechnic Deployable bonnet system - an all-new, industry-leading safety feature which was created to meet Phase One of the new European safety legislation.

On behalf of the Jaguar XK Pedestrian Safety team, Jonathan Mabey commented, “The whole team is extremely proud to be recognised for the Jaguar Pyrotechnic Pedestrian Deployable Bonnet system on the new XK.”

The new European standards for pedestrian safety are designed to help mitigate the severity of injuries to pedestrians in the event of a collision. In the unfortunate event of a pedestrian impact, the deployable bonnet on the new XK automatically ‘pops’ up a few inches, to increase space between the engine and the bonnet. This helps to isolate the pedestrian from hard points in the engine compartment – and takes place in less than a tenth of the time it takes to blink an eye. An advanced sensing system is mounted in the front bumper to help discriminate between a pedestrian collision and any other possible front-end collisions.
Old 05-01-06, 08:20 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Old 05-01-06, 08:20 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have to test that out soon near schools and hospitals...
Old 05-01-06, 09:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Pedestrians could also just wait for a green light or the white " WALK " sign before they cross the street.
Old 05-01-06, 10:50 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I have to test that out soon near schools and hospitals...
As a pedestrian or driver??
Old 05-01-06, 10:52 AM
southernsc
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Pedestrians could also just wait for a green light or the white " WALK " sign before they cross the street.
that would just make to much sense
Old 05-01-06, 01:01 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Duh...

Originally Posted by southernsc
that would just make to much sense
Too much sense...
Old 05-01-06, 03:41 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Don't forget about those JackA@@ drivers who make right turns on red and cut off pedestrians who are crossing with the green
Old 05-01-06, 03:53 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting concept but how about stopping the idiot pedestrians who boldly walk across a green light at an extremely slow pace as if to dare you to hit them. I live in NY, trust me on this. BTW that XK is so so sexy.
Old 05-01-06, 04:17 PM
jwa
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think we're entering a new era of Government regulation in car design. Now that the driver is protected about as well as possible the emphasis is shifting to protecting pedestrians. If the XK couldn't meet the standards without putting explosive bolts on the hood, how will larger cars meet the standard? I guess they won't be selling many Escalades in the EU.

A little bit off topic, but has anyone seen the XK coup in person. I went to the Atlanta Auto Show this weekend just to see the XK coup, and all they had was a convertible. Neither of the local dealers have had a coup either.
Old 05-01-06, 04:20 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

i've seen the Xk coupe in person.

it's glorious.
Old 05-01-06, 04:53 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Seen both of them in person and I love it. Ive always been in love with Jaguars designs and this XK is no different. Has tons of character and is just down right sexy. ;thumbup: