Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

In my never ending quest for random knowledge...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-06, 07:19 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts
Default In my never ending quest for random knowledge...

What keeps my car from rolling backwards on a hill when I am D? I have been in many cars where the car will roll backwards when on a steep hill even when the car is D. My 1994 Lexus SC doesn't roll backwards ever on a hill when I'm in D, despite the grade of the hill. What is the reason mechanically? Is the differential the cause for this, or is it the use of a one way clutch?
Old 04-25-06, 07:36 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Idle speed?? The fact that your car moves forward as soon as you let go of the brake??
Old 04-25-06, 07:39 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by magneto112
Idle speed?? The fact that your car moves forward as soon as you let go of the brake??
Well the reason for that I know is the that the torque converter generates just enough torque to move the car when it is in gear, but it does not generate enough torque to overcome the brakes when they are applied. But when I am on a hill, my car will neither move forward nor backwards. I can take my foot completely off the pedal while still in D and the car will just sit there. I know the torque converter is not generating enough torque in this case to overcome the weight of the car and the force of gravity, hence no forward motion, but why no backwards motion either (while some cars will roll backwards if the brake is not applied) ?
Old 04-25-06, 09:05 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

even my 92 camry, when it's on a not-so-steep incline, it doesn't roll back. just imagine when you are on a flat surface, if you don't hold your brake the car will roll forward right? you can think of that opposing the downhill down in "holding" your car's position.
Old 04-25-06, 11:08 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
even my 92 camry, when it's on a not-so-steep incline, it doesn't roll back. just imagine when you are on a flat surface, if you don't hold your brake the car will roll forward right? you can think of that opposing the downhill down in "holding" your car's position.

ok I can understand that......but then why do some cars still end up having to be held when on an incline? Is it just poor quality in parts? Usually they are the cheaper cars that will roll backwards even when in D. My friend has a Cavalier, rolls back everytime. Another friend of mine has an automatic 94 Integra, rolls back every time.
Old 04-25-06, 12:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Several factors affect this besides those already discussed.....torque converter stall speed, type and viscosity of transmission fluid, transmission fluid temperature ( cold fluid has more drag than hot fluid ) , amount of brake pressure, type and efficiency of brake linings, transmission gear ratios in first and reverse ( you may have the lever in " D " but at a dead stop, in gear, the transmission itself will actually be in first ). Additional factors are vehicle weight and weight distribution, the torque curve of the engine ( especially at idle ) and the fact that some newer vehicles have " grade logic " sensors in the transmissions that can determine if the car is nose-up or nose-down and not only adjust the transmission's shift and gear-hold characteristics but also adjust the idle speed accordingly.
Old 04-25-06, 06:35 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Several factors affect this besides those already discussed.....torque converter stall speed, type and viscosity of transmission fluid, transmission fluid temperature ( cold fluid has more drag than hot fluid ) , amount of brake pressure, type and efficiency of brake linings, transmission gear ratios in first and reverse ( you may have the lever in " D " but at a dead stop, in gear, the transmission itself will actually be in first ). Additional factors are vehicle weight and weight distribution, the torque curve of the engine ( especially at idle ) and the fact that some newer vehicles have " grade logic " sensors in the transmissions that can determine if the car is nose-up or nose-down and not only adjust the transmission's shift and gear-hold characteristics but also adjust the idle speed accordingly.
Didn't know it was that complex! Thanks for the insight mmarshall, I'm gonna do some googling to satisfy my interest now
Old 04-25-06, 06:46 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

i always wondered why my LS didnt roll either
Old 04-25-06, 08:25 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up I always wondered too

I never fail to learn something here at CL. You guys amaze me.
Old 04-25-06, 08:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by NYLexSC
ok I can understand that......but then why do some cars still end up having to be held when on an incline? Is it just poor quality in parts? Usually they are the cheaper cars that will roll backwards even when in D. My friend has a Cavalier, rolls back everytime. Another friend of mine has an automatic 94 Integra, rolls back every time.
like marshall said it depends on a lot of factors, and some cars put up a bit more "power" and "torque" to keep the car on incline. some cars they can't hold that much so...
Old 04-26-06, 02:05 AM
AJ
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This stuff is the reason why i love CL
Old 04-26-06, 03:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by NYLexSC
Didn't know it was that complex! Thanks for the insight mmarshall, I'm gonna do some googling to satisfy my interest now
Yes...there is almost nothing simple about a modern car or how it works. That is why auto engineers get paid big bucks.