Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Design Expansion: GM adding vehicle designer jobs across the globe despite cuts

Old 04-24-06, 01:08 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Design Expansion: GM adding vehicle designer jobs across the globe despite cuts

Ed Welburn, left, GM's vice president for design, introduced the Saab Aero X concept at the New York auto show this month with Bryan Nesbitt, GM's European design boss.

NEW YORK - While newspapers have been filled with headlines about job cuts at General Motors, the automaker's design studio has been adding jobs.

"The corporation believes in what we are doing," Ed Welburn, vice president for global design, said in an interview this month at the New York auto show.

"They realize the importance of design and having choices, design alternatives for the leadership to make those tough decisions. So we are continuing to hire."

GM's studios across the globe have been expanding.

Welburn was unable to say how many jobs were added, but said: "Last year we hired 14 designers alone from (Detroit's) College for Creative Studies. We hired from the Art Center, (in Pasadena, Calif.), from the Royal College of Art in London, and schools in Korea, China and Australia.

"Nobody talks about it. And we're continuing to hire in North America, Brazil, Australia, Germany and Korea."

Welburn said the hiring has strained studio space.

"We have a lot to do, and our studios are bulging at the seams," Welburn said. "We're expanding the studio in Europe. A new wing has been added to our studio in Korea, and in Australia we took over space that was an engineering building."

Source: http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...1/TOC01ARCHIVE
Old 04-24-06, 01:36 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Overclocker
"We have a lot to do, and our studios are bulging at the seams,"
No kidding

Old 04-24-06, 06:57 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

The Aztek I believe was designed by a Mexican if I am not mistaken. I wish GM would bring some of their European designs over to the U.S.

A few years ago, GM Mexico brought the Tigre, kind of equivalent to an 80s Fiero, and then stopped selling it for no apparent reason (price was quite cheap). Great design, but never understood what GM was thinking.
Old 04-24-06, 08:19 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know why they need to hire people to design cars -- you can get art students to design cars for free...

Design is an important aspect of the marketing of a car. However, GM needs to tend to the roots of their company to help their products bloom. Why drive a beautiful coupe or rugged SUV when it will break down in a couple of years?
Old 04-24-06, 09:34 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I don't know why they need to hire people to design cars -- you can get art students to design cars for free...

Design is an important aspect of the marketing of a car. However, GM needs to tend to the roots of their company to help their products bloom. Why drive a beautiful coupe or rugged SUV when it will break down in a couple of years?
I agree, but some of their designs DO need some work... "some"...
Old 04-25-06, 05:07 PM
LexFather

Ed Welburn couldn't design a stapler.