Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Clarkson fuels the gas debate

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-06, 08:17 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Clarkson fuels the gas debate

When the oil supplies runs out, will we have to scrap our cars? Will civilization collapse? Not likely, says JC.

And so, Porsche has turbocharged the new 911, Ferrari has introduced an 800bhp Enzo, Aston is beavering away with its new DBS and, imminently, Mercedes is expected to announce plans for a new collaboration with McLaren.

The message is clear. As fast as politicians wrap the motor industry up with noise, emission and safety red tape, car designers are unravelling the constraints with more and more power.

No really. We already have a 240bhp Golf. That's twice as much as we were given 20 years ago and if that rate of change keeps going, people learning to drive today will finish their career in a family hatchback with 1,000bhp under the bonnet. Nice.

We've already got family saloons with 500bhp to play with. That's 100 more than Jackie Stewart had when he won the F1 Championship in 1973. What's more, Mitsubishi can sell you a car that develops 200bhp per litre. And it's only 20 years since Daihatsu became the first car maker to sell a car with half that. We're on a roll, boys. And I'm loving it.

However, some say this is nothing more than a last hurrah before the oil runs out, that the engineers are having one last party with their outdated 19th-century toy box before they're forced by circumstance to put down their petrol and pick up some potato peelings instead.

The most recent scare story suggests that the world's supply of oil, gas and coal will be exhausted in about 30 years' time. And if that's true, there's no doubt the big car makers are being irresponsible, gorging on the fat of the land now when they know full well a famine is just around the corner. Only an imbecile would do that.

There's plenty of evidence to suggest it's true. At present, people in the Third World use half a gigajoule of energy a year, compared to the average American, who gets through 300 gigajoules. And 40 burgers. But as we keep being told, it's not the 'Third World' any more. It's the 'developing world', and that's where the problems lie.

If China and India increase their consumption to just a tenth of the US average, they could suck Arabia dry in about 15 minutes. This would plunge the world into the Dark Ages. Or worse. Sociologists tell us that when the oil starts to go, nation will fight nation for the last few drops, and the social order will disintegrate.

They may have a point. When we had that trivial fuel shortage 18 months ago, people formed disorderly queues outside garages, waiting with fists clenched and blood vessels fit to burst as the chap in front filled his tank, and then his washer bottle and then his trousers pockets with petrol.

Imagine that on a global scale. Imagine if there were no trucks to deliver food to the supermarket and you knew that your neighbour had 300 tins of baked beans stashed away in his basement. Would you watch your children starve or would you pop round and shoot him in the face?

Same goes with power. You'll have your nose pressed to the gates at Sellafield begging for a cup of electricity to run your kid's iron lung. But they won't be able to help because, back in 2005, all the eco-mentalists told them that nuclear energy wasn't green.

Eventually, when every candle had been burned, and every tin of beans consumed, we'd be back in 1550, using beads to buy chickens. And dying three times a day from diphtheria and rabies. Death, famine and disease all topped off with a light sprinkling of nuclear holocaust. And it's all Porsche's fault for turbocharging the 911.

Unfortunately, the people who tell us these things tend to be card-carrying lunatics with an agenda. They're the ones who were chained to the fence outside Greenham Common, saying atomic war with Russia was inevitable, and that if the Earth's climate changes - something it has done since the dawn of time - we'll all drown.

They're the ones who see only bad in the world. The ones who lie in fields of gold on glorious summer days, complaining about the distant hum of traffic. The ones who see a corporate conspiracy at the bottom of every packet of crisps.

Life has usually dealt them a handful of low clubs and diamonds. How many good-looking women did you see at Greenham? And because everything turned out so badly, they want to change the system. That's why they want us to cycle to work and adopt a fox - because it brings us down to their level, not because the oil's running out. Because it isn't.

In the 20s, Germany developed a system for extracting oil from coal. In the war, (which we won, by the way) it was used to propel tanks and trucks. In Brazil, they run cars on oil from chrysanthemums. And I used to power my old Land Cruiser on chip fat.

But all this is by the by because, with a barrel of conventional oil costing $35, it is now economically viable to go after unconventional oil. The black gold that's held in sand, for instance, under Canada. How long will this last? Well, according to scientists, centuries.

Even if half of China decides that it wants to go to work every day in a Jet Ranger, and India becomes the biggest market in the world for Lamborghini Diablos, Neil Young and Donald Sutherland will provide the juice to keep them going.

Oh, and don't worry about the carbon dioxide either because, apparently, this can now be extracted from coal gasification plants and then pumped deep into the earth, where it increases pressure forcing more oil and gas to the surface. Brilliant. The eco-mentalists will have to go and worry about something else. Horses, perhaps.

In fact, don't worry about anything because, when the chips are down, man always finds a way. With no power tools at all, we survived the last Ice Age. Without the benefit of aspirin, we came through the great plague. And since then we've conquered space and developed the Rice Krispie.

You think bird flu's going to wipe us out? Well, I wouldn't count on it because somewhere, right now, a nerd with a white coat and pipette is figuring out how it can be beaten. And it'll be another nerd, a few centuries from now, who finds a way to power cars using the sun's ultraviolet light.

And when the sun runs out, we'll get on a space ship and go somewhere else. Or build another one.

The message, then, really is clear. If you want a 911 turbo, and I must say it does look rather good, buy one. In fact, you can buy whatever car you want. Not an Audi Q7, though. I drove one in Norway recently and it seemed to be rubbish. And a rubbish car, I'm afraid, is a waste of petrol.
http://www.topgear.com/content/featu...ries/03/1.html

Last edited by magneto112; 04-24-06 at 08:33 AM.
Old 04-24-06, 09:37 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,639 Posts

Clarkson for Prime Minister! He's SO DEAD ON RIGHT in this article.
Old 04-24-06, 10:08 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

last line was great

In fact, you can buy whatever car you want. Not an Audi Q7, though. I drove one in Norway recently and it seemed to be rubbish. And a rubbish car, I'm afraid, is a waste of petrol.
Old 04-24-06, 11:11 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In fact, don't worry about anything because, when the chips are down, man always finds a way. With no power tools at all, we survived the last Ice Age. Without the benefit of aspirin, we came through the great plague. And since then we've conquered space and developed the Rice Krispie.

hehehehe

reading clarkson's articles usually tend to make my day.
Old 04-24-06, 11:16 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

He has a way of telling things like it is
Old 04-24-06, 11:26 AM
LexFather

The message, then, really is clear. If you want a 911 turbo, and I must say it does look rather good, buy one. In fact, you can buy whatever car you want. Not an Audi Q7, though. I drove one in Norway recently and it seemed to be rubbish. And a rubbish car, I'm afraid, is a waste of petrol.
Told ya'll the Q7 is subpar.

Clarkson for PRESIDENT, errr, PRIME MINISTER!!

Old 04-24-06, 11:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Haven't reviewed one myself, but I don't see where Jackson gets off calling the Q7 " rubbish ". Audi has made a name for itself throughout the industry with ultra-high-quality interiors, fit-and-finish, superb paint jobs, and Quattro AWD systems that, like Subaru's, are well-proved. I would probably buy an Audi product before any other European make selling in the U.S. market....though, like many European-designed cars, they have electrical problems.

What is it that you dislike about this vehicle? Its bulk? Its looks? Handling / performance? Overpriced? uh:
I assume you don't call it " sub-par " for nothing.
Old 04-24-06, 11:54 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Haven't reviewed one myself, but I don't see where Jackson gets off calling the Q7 " rubbish ".
Who is Jackson??
Old 04-24-06, 12:03 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 315 Likes on 193 Posts

That's right, the world will not come to an end. We just won't be driving today's cars in the future that's all.
Old 04-24-06, 12:11 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Haven't reviewed one myself, but I don't see where Jackson gets off calling the Q7 " rubbish ". Audi has made a name for itself throughout the industry with ultra-high-quality interiors, fit-and-finish, superb paint jobs, and Quattro AWD systems that, like Subaru's, are well-proved. I would probably buy an Audi product before any other European make selling in the U.S. market....though, like many European-designed cars, they have electrical problems.

What is it that you dislike about this vehicle? Its bulk? Its looks? Handling / performance? Overpriced? uh:
I assume you don't call it " sub-par " for nothing.
Mr. Clarkson also didn't like the 3rd gen GS ............... He said if you wanted the real deal, go buy an E-class Benz.
Old 04-24-06, 12:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Richie
Who is Jackson??
Sorry...I meant Clarkson...a typo.
Old 04-24-06, 12:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hameed
Mr. Clarkson also didn't like the 3rd gen GS ............... He said if you wanted the real deal, go buy an E-class Benz.
Sorry...I disagree with him. The new GS is a superb machine inside and out, particularly in the GS300 AWD trim. The only things I could find to complain about on the new GS were the somewhat low roof for tall people and the flip-down box with the power mirror controls that sometimes bangs your left knee.
And the GS will spend FAR less time in the shop than just about any M-B product.
Old 04-24-06, 12:24 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Sorry...I disagree with him. The new GS is a superb machine inside and out, particularly in the GS300 AWD trim. The only things I could find to complain about on the new GS were the somewhat low roof for tall people and the flip-down box with the power mirror controls that sometimes bangs your left knee.
And the GS will spend FAR less time in the shop than just about any M-B product.
Exactly my point. I don't always agree with his car reviews either.
He can be very biased at times. But this is getting OT now.
Old 04-24-06, 12:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hameed
Exactly my point. I don't always agree with his car reviews either.
He can be very biased at times. But this is getting OT now.
Come on....there's no such thing as OT on CAR CHAT.....we talk cars 24 hours a day here.
Old 04-24-06, 01:24 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Jeremy Clarkson > *. Nuff said.

Quick Reply: Clarkson fuels the gas debate