Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

with gas over $3/gallon would it help to lower the speed limit to 55mph?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-06, 07:29 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default with gas over $3/gallon would it help to lower the speed limit to 55mph?

I couldn't see how it would hurt anything. I definitely hate dumping $50 worth of gas in my car and would like to do everything I can to stretch it.

hummm.....I never thought I be endoring a 55mph speed limit.....
Old 04-23-06, 07:33 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

they did this in houston and it was a miserable failure, it did nothing for pollution (govt claimed it would lower pollution, but youre spending more time on the road so whats the point), they raised it back to 65 some time later. Spend more time on road = no thanks

I made more mileage than indicated on my sticker doing 80mph on the highway

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 04-23-06 at 07:37 PM.
Old 04-23-06, 07:36 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally, provided that an independent study proves that there are considerable mileage gains on average, I think it might be beneficial. Now, I'm not saying that I wouldn't be annoyed by the extra commute time, but occassionally sacrifices need to be made. I don't think we're quite to this point yet, however.

Scott
Old 04-23-06, 08:00 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
they did this in houston and it was a miserable failure, it did nothing for pollution (govt claimed it would lower pollution, but youre spending more time on the road so whats the point), they raised it back to 65 some time later.

uh yeh...that was when gas was $1.25/gallon.....things have changed DRAMATICALLY.
Old 04-23-06, 08:04 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

We gotta remember that some cars are not always more efficient at lower speed vs newer speed. Example, my former legend gets better gas mileage when travelling at 55mph than at 45mph (this is all in top gear). The engine efficiency varies througout the revband.
Old 04-23-06, 08:21 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSteg
We gotta remember that some cars are not always more efficient at lower speed vs newer speed. Example, my former legend gets better gas mileage when travelling at 55mph than at 45mph (this is all in top gear). The engine efficiency varies througout the revband.
but I guarantee its more efficient at 55 than 65....

Old 04-23-06, 08:25 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I never said you were wrong. I'm just stating how efficiency is never constant. Am I wrong?
Old 04-23-06, 08:26 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
uh yeh...that was when gas was $1.25/gallon.....things have changed DRAMATICALLY.
no this was less than 2 years ago gas was still pricy then. No one actually obeys the speed limit around here, if you dont drive 80 on some of houstons hwys when its clear you will hold up traffic. Get your hybrid but dont make the rest of us suffer with lowering the speed limit, it didnt work before

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 04-23-06 at 08:34 PM.
Old 04-23-06, 08:35 PM
GSXLEX
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nope...cause instead of paying for less gas you'd be paying for more speeding fines and higher insurance rates
Old 04-23-06, 08:36 PM
LexFather

Lowering speed limits is about revenue, its not about saving gas.
No one is forcing people to drive the limit or over the limit. That is a person's choice.

I have noticed when I drive a boring car, like my RX, I cruise and I notice my gas mileage is fine. WHen I get a loaner like the IS, my gas mileage sucks b/c I am driving the snot outta the car.

Enthusiasts just won't care, we want to drive!

Old 04-23-06, 08:46 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Lowering speed limits is about revenue, its not about saving gas.
No one is forcing people to drive the limit or over the limit. That is a person's choice.

I have noticed when I drive a boring car, like my RX, I cruise and I notice my gas mileage is fine. WHen I get a loaner like the IS, my gas mileage sucks b/c I am driving the snot outta the car.

Enthusiasts just won't care, we want to drive!
if gas is $5 gallon or more will you still want to drive....?
I realize some people on this forum are loaded with cash....but at some point, sooner or later(as I said, later in some cases) its just a waste of money.

you can still race at SCCA events....
Old 04-23-06, 08:49 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Our speed limits are already strictly enforced at 55. I hate it. Raising it to 65 would actually decrease accidents and increase the compliance rate. I did a report on this last year for school.

Fuel economy... not sure but I know the GS430 gets about 27 around 75-80 and only hangs around 24-25 around 55, if that high.

However, the ES300 only got 24.5 on a road trip i just took a week ago where the speed limits are 70. Granted that's the highest mileage I've ever seen out of that car, but still disappointing.
Old 04-23-06, 08:59 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
no this was less than 2 years ago gas was still pricy then. No one actually obeys the speed limit around here, if you dont drive 80 on some of houstons hwys when its clear you will hold up traffic. Get your hybrid but dont make the rest of us suffer with lowering the speed limit, it didnt work before
wrong again! it was August 20, 2002 when the speed limits were temporarily lowered for air quiality issues only....had nothing at all to do with high gas prices.

as I said, things have changed dramatically.
Old 04-23-06, 09:01 PM
Onelove
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I'm paying 3.05 per gallon I want the speed limit to be 100, not 55. If I'm gonna get raped at the pump I want to enjoy every penny, even if it means spending more. Gotta pay to play in this world, the $10.00 a week you save in fuel savings is going to mean a lot more in lost time and posibilities for tickets for those of us who are speed demons.
Old 04-23-06, 09:03 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
wrong again! it was August 20, 2002 when the speed limits were temporarily lowered for air quiality issues only....had nothing at all to do with high gas prices.

as I said, things have changed dramatically.
and you think putting a new limit does anything, that assumes that people actually obey the speed limit, good luck with that, let the govt waste another several million dollars changing street signs. People getting out of SUVs, maintaining your vehicle, is going to save more gas than any speed limit regulation, attacking the problem from a totally wrong direction. Yea that 55 mph limit is sure gonna help in rush hour, obviously the time of day when the most cars and most fuel is being burned and everyone is going to be moving well under 55 mph at times, that speed limit wont do anything

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 04-23-06 at 09:11 PM.

Quick Reply: with gas over $3/gallon would it help to lower the speed limit to 55mph?