Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus CPO vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-06, 12:20 PM
ktiger
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus CPO vehicles

I have a friend that has a certified pre-owned LX470. He went to trade it in the other day and found out that the car had been in an accident prior to him purchasing it. We both told the guy there was no way that the car had been wrecked before because it was a CPO vehicle. We went to another dealer and was told the same thing. It had 30,000 miles on it when he bought it three years ago and the salesman said that it was never in an accident before and even gave him a free carfax record.

He's my question; does Lexus certify vehicles that has been involved in an accident?
Old 04-23-06, 12:37 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ktiger
I have a friend that has a certified pre-owned LX470. He went to trade it in the other day and found out that the car had been in an accident prior to him purchasing it. We both told the guy there was no way that the car had been wrecked before because it was a CPO vehicle. We went to another dealer and was told the same thing. It had 30,000 miles on it when he bought it three years ago and the salesman said that it was never in an accident before and even gave him a free carfax record.

He's my question; does Lexus certify vehicles that has been involved in an accident?
To my knowledge, Lexus does NOT allow vehicles that have been in an accident to be CPO'ed. I guess the question is did the previous owner fix the suv without going through the regular channels?
Old 04-23-06, 12:59 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is he trying to trade it in for? Another lexus i hope. If he is he should go speak with the guy he bought it from and rip the guy a new one.
Old 04-23-06, 03:07 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by 1loudLX
What is he trying to trade it in for? Another lexus i hope. If he is he should go speak with the guy he bought it from and rip the guy a new one.
Yeah, smells fishy

Old 04-23-06, 05:51 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First off, how are they determining the car had been in an accident? CPO cars are the most pristine of the off lease cars. No accidents, no major repairs. If it is in their computer systems, I think a visit to the dealer where you originally purchased the car is at hand.
Old 04-23-06, 06:18 PM
ktiger
Pole Position

There was a small amount of overspray on the weather strip of the lift gate just underneath the window and the lift gate on the passenger side is a little offset.
Old 04-23-06, 06:24 PM
ktiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1loudLX
It was a BMW/Mercedes dealership and a Infiniti dealer but he was trading it for a 2002 Silver LS430 UL with only 31,000 miles on it. They (BMW/Merc.) are asking only $32,500.00 for it. We took it to the Infiniti dealer just to confirm what the other dealer said. The nearest Lexus dealer is one and a half hours away in Baton Rouge.

Does anyone know for absolutely sure that Lexus don't certify vehicles that have been in an accident?
Old 04-23-06, 06:28 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ktiger
It was a BMW/Mercedes dealership and a Infiniti dealer but he was trading it for a 2002 Silver LS430 UL with only 31,000 miles on it. They (BMW/Merc.) are asking only $32,500.00 for it. We took it to the Infiniti dealer just to confirm what the other dealer said. The nearest Lexus dealer is one and a half hours away in Baton Rouge.

Does anyone know for absolutely sure that Lexus don't certify vehicles that have been in an accident?
I know Lexus certifies cars that have been in a accident, I was browsing through autotrader.com a couple of weeks back just browsing for a GS 300 not intested but just wanting to check out the prices, they had a free CARFAX and it showed it was involved in a accident.
Old 04-23-06, 06:41 PM
ktiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexusChris
I know Lexus certifies cars that have been in a accident, I was browsing through autotrader.com a couple of weeks back just browsing for a GS 300 not intested but just wanting to check out the prices, they had a free CARFAX and it showed it was involved in a accident.
He has a CARFAX report and it reads that the car had never been in an accident. We watched the salesman print it out when my friend purchased the LX470.

I went to Lexus.com and it states this:
"The general definition of a Lemon Law vehicle is: A vehicle with (a) major, repeated problem(s) that has been repurchased by, or had its purchase price renegotiated with, the manufacturer. State laws then earmark these as Lemon Law, Buyback or Salvage vehicles. These vehicles are ineligible for Lexus Certified Pre-Owned Limited Warranty coverage."

and this:
"A title issued on a vehicle where an insurance company has declared the vehicle a total loss. These vehicles were typically involved in a flood or severe accident. These vehicles are not eligible for Lexus Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle Programs. (See: Lemon Law)"

It does not say a car that has previously been involved in an accident, only that it could not be declared a total loss.

Last edited by ktiger; 04-23-06 at 06:45 PM.