Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ultra Compacts: Yaris, Versa, Fit

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-06, 12:22 AM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra Compacts: Yaris, Versa, Fit

At work, we develop parts for cars.

Occasionally, we get cars from manufacturers before they are released so that aftermarket parts will be ready once they are released.

I got to check out the new Toyota Yaris, Nissan Versa, and Honda Fit and drive them.

For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. I'd like to say that these three vehicle's introduction into the US is the direct result and backlash towards high gas prices, and high inefficiency of many of the vehicles on the road today. They are all very compact, but offer high passenger and cargo volume. They are all relatively inexpensive (under ~15K) and also boast many features for their low cost. For the Honda and Nissan in particular, they are also competition towards Toyota's successful Scion division.
Attached Thumbnails Ultra Compacts: Yaris, Versa, Fit-p1010005.jpg  
Old 04-23-06, 12:29 AM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

The Honda Fit has been around in Japan for quite a few years, and is a very successful seller in in Japan and other markets. It's overall design has not changed since being introduced into the US.

PROS:
Exceptionally well built car for it's price.
The interior space is very large and very configurable
Dash layout is extremely well done (better than the 06 Civic Si)
Handling is tight and responsive
5MT is extremely smooth and in a very comfortable location for a FWD
Least embarrassing to be caught driving

CONS:
Price is a bit steep when options are added
Expect a significant dealer markup on this one

NEXT: Nissan Versa
Attached Thumbnails Ultra Compacts: Yaris, Versa, Fit-p1010140.jpg  
Old 04-23-06, 12:39 AM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

The Nissan Versa, known as the Tiida in Japan came to us early. This car is not yet available for sale. This car is eclipsed by the Yaris(Vitz) and Fit in Japan as far as sales go, but that's not to say it doesn't offer a lot for it's price. The Versa is a bit larger than the Fit and Yaris, and would be more of a competitor to the Toyota Matrix.

One thing about the vehicle we tested, it's a pre production car, so some features may change. One of which I heard was the suspension.

PROS:
Very good power considering it's fuel efficiency
Extremely Impressive 6MT transmission
High passenger and cargo volume
Good interior quality
Simple non fussy dash layout
Great quality on the radio/mp3 player/speakers

CONS:
Handling is not a strong point, lots of roll (although this will probably change on the final vehicle)
Torque steer reminiscient of the Sentra

NEXT: Yaris 3 door hatch
Attached Thumbnails Ultra Compacts: Yaris, Versa, Fit-p1010021.jpg  

Last edited by MikeFD3S; 04-23-06 at 12:50 AM.
Old 04-23-06, 12:48 AM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

The Toyota Yaris, known as Vitz in Japan and other world markets is one of Toyota's top sellers. It underwent a model change for 07 and is slightly longer and wider than the "Vitz" some of us are accustomed to. It's offered in a 3 door hatchback and 4 door Sedan version.

I also drove the 4 door sedan with AT, but it was very reminiscient of a Corolla.

PROS:
Most fun to drive, excellent handling
Build quality is very high
Very inexpensive

CONS:
No RPM gauge
No MT on hatchback version
Radio is cheap and dated compared to Versa and Fit
Styling may be a bit too 'cute' for male drivers

WINNER = FIT, by a landslide (I'm actually seriously looking into buying one now)
Attached Thumbnails Ultra Compacts: Yaris, Versa, Fit-p1010001.jpg  
Old 04-23-06, 01:12 AM
southernsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good write up Im looking into a cheap car and this was helpful
Old 04-23-06, 04:54 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Honda cremed the econobox lot with the fit, points not listed on the article but in the actual mag 2nd place was a good deal behind
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...ap-skates.html
Old 04-23-06, 05:26 AM
olorin
Driver School Candidate

FWIW, here is my experience with the manual 1.3-litre Yaris sedan. (For reference purposes, Ancalagon is my car, RunX 140RT).
Took one for a spin last night on my regular test drive route (M3 from Wynberg to Town and back). To a large extent, I'll be comparing it to Ancalagon.

When you get in, you notice how high up you are. It's a tall car, falling shy of the stock RunX by 10mm. Even with the seat at its lowest position, you're high up, and you'll struggle to see anywhere close to the end of the bonnet. Grasping the handbrake requires you to reach almost straight down. The driving position isn't the greatest, purely because the feeling of sitting on the car is so pronounced. Height and reach adjustable steering helps, but doesn't solve the problem. The exterior mirrors are massive--I really wanted to use them. A lot.

The seats are slightly smaller than those in the RunX. I preferred them as a result. Tighter, but with similar bolstering (which isn't great). I tend to sit against the left bolster in my car, but this leads to sliding.

The Yaris driver's footwell is not size 12 friendly. My left foot got stuck time and time again under the overhanging plastic above the clutch. If there is one thing I can't stand during daily driving, it is having to select neutral at an intersection just so that I can re-adjust my left foot.

You get the impression that the Yaris has a smaller interior than a RunX, but it is essentially just as tall and just as wide. The location and size of the A-pillar lends to the illusion of reduced space, but also increases visibility. In the Yaris, I am looking out of the window where in the RunX I'd be looking directly at the A-pillar.

Driving.

I liked the sound. Compared to Ancalagon, the Yaris engine note is deeper and more refined. The tone is similar to that of the current 1.6-litre Polo's motor, just with added refinement. NVH is good, perhaps slightly better than a Corolla/RunX.

My example had 309km on it, so the motor was very tight. Still, not bad performance for a 1.3-litre powerplant in a heavy-ish body. Big dislike: accelerator feel. Spongey. Gear ratios seemed better than that of the RunX; the limiter seemed higher IIRC (closer to 7000rpm, it appeared). Gear action is a combination of notchy and spongey. No clickety-click over here, I'm afraid.

Steering. LOL. Compared to the Yaris, Ancalagon has razor sharp turn in and incredibly direct, informative steering. With the Yaris, there seems to be a few degrees of play before anything happens. This was alarming when I built up some speed and entered one of the medium-speed bends near UCT. It essentially requires you to steer counter-intuitively. There is no steering feedback. Nothing. Steering a Yaris is an unpleasant experience, if you plan on hustling.

So, you get to a corner and as required, you PITCH it in, eliminating the fake understeer. Unlike the lowered Ancalagon, it is easier to feel weight transfer; there is just so much of it. It was actually alarming how everything happened a few milliseconds after it usually does in the RunX. Body roll is huge in this car. It is a weird and unnerving experience: steer first, wait, then turn, roll and load up the outside wheel, but without feeling what the wheel itself is doing. Emergency lane change is more amusing than anything.

Ride is good. Dampers do a good job. The 175/65-14s naturally run out of grip without much provocation. The brakes are excellent, except for one thing: the Tail Wag. I have never experienced this in any car. Get hard on the brakes in a straight line, and the car thinks it might want to fishtail, but it is ultimately undecided. Like a half-hearted, apathetic tail wag. There's no real motivation to break the rear loose, but the car feels bad about disappointing in that regard. Odd. Still, the braking power is confidence inspiring. This is a good thing because the general handling/grip does not.

Lookswise, I really like the exterior. It has that chunkiness of the current Audi A4s. Really gives the impression that it is solid and well-built. IMO, the design is more sophisticated than the current Corolla, and I think we'll see very similar design influences in the successor.

In conclusion, the Yaris is less of a drivers car than the RunX. That is a funny thing to say out loud.
Old 04-23-06, 06:25 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

I sat in a 4 door Yaris a few weeks ago and i couldn't beleive the price... I mean for the money you really can't beat it... Nice job toyota..
Old 04-23-06, 07:55 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

I saw a fit yesterday that had some sort of little body kit on it - it was actually really subtle and looked nice. I'm not sure if they had done any suspension mods but it looked a lot lower and wider on the ground. Definitely striking in an "awww, cute" kind of way.
Old 04-23-06, 08:27 AM
LexFather

Thanks for the great reviews everyone

Old 04-23-06, 08:32 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by tmf2004
I sat in a 4 door Yaris a few weeks ago and i couldn't beleive the price... I mean for the money you really can't beat it... Nice job toyota..
yaris got 4th place in the test
Old 04-23-06, 08:51 AM
HKGS300
Lexus Test Driver

One of our CL members, JTANOYO1, sold his Aristo TT (with custom bodykit ...) and got a Honda Fit (and a few other cars) for it.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169680&highlight=Honda+Fit

Last edited by HKGS300; 04-23-06 at 08:57 AM.
Old 04-23-06, 09:42 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I have test driven the Yars and Fit, and the Fit is way much ahead in my opinion. One vehicle that I also like down here is the Hyundai Atos, which I don't think will ever make it to the U.S.
Old 04-23-06, 11:08 AM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

I would have written a lot more, but it was pretty late and I was pretty tired :P

One of the biggest drawbacks to the Yaris is that it doesn't offer much when compared to it's close sibling, the Scion xA, which is offered at a similar price and comes with many more options. The lack of instrumentation is a serious drawback when competing against the Fit and Versa, even though it remains true to it's predecessor, the Echo (US model of Vitz/Yaris). The fact is, the Echo was not a very successful car in the US for many reasons, and I wish that Toyota would have done more to make the Yaris more appealing. I'm afraid that while the styling of the new Yaris is much improved over the failed Echo, it's appeal is still limited to a very small demographic. I've heard that marketing material for the Yaris is being included with Brokeback DVD's. Yaris was first to enter the market, but didn't make a very big bang. I don't expect it to, unless some significant changes are made.

The Nissan Versa is a nice little econobox, but unfortunately it screams "econobox". I can't really give a fair final judgement on this vehicle since it wasn't completely ready at the time of testing. It had a great drivetrain and power, which makes up for it's MPG efficiency, but it's suspension was so lacking that the fun factor quickly fades away. I enjoyed the dash instrumentation and factory MP3 player, they had really great sound quality. The quality of the interior is also very high, with excellent appointments of the seating. The price of the car should help it's sales, but the somewhat bland exterior won't have drivers flocking in droves to the dealerships to try one out. I guess we'll see what happens with Nissan's final version.

The Honda Fit is simply an amazing car. The exterior, interior, and performance are at an unexpected level for it's price. The interior layout is intuitive, functional, attractive, and highly configurable. One of it's strongest points is it's interior-- interior design is very important on these types of cars; since the car will be driven daily on long haul commutes, the interior design can make or break the car. While the Fit is offered under 15K, you definitely don't feel like you're "flying coach" when you are in it. The exterior, while "cute", is much stronger and more appealing than Versa and Yaris. The Fit is like a featherweight prize fighter, it is light, fast and agile. It's going to knock out the limp wristed Yaris, and fly by the stoutly Versa. The Fit is Honda's answer to Scion, and a hell of an answer it is.

I was so impressed with the fit that I am gathering up funds to purchase one myself. I have a feeling that the Fit will do for Honda, what the Civic did for it 20 years ago. With the Civic becoming outrageously expensive, the Fit is Honda's new torchbearer that affordably appeals to drivers young and old, the new, the experienced, and those like me who already have a nice car, but need a respectable and efficient commuter. The Fit is Go!

Bravo, Honda. Bravo. :golf clap:
Old 05-01-06, 09:47 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice read. I think there may be a Fit in my near future. I am not paying the current new car markups, though. I will wait a little to not get gouged.

Quick Reply: Ultra Compacts: Yaris, Versa, Fit