Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Are copycat cars a sincere form of flattery?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-06, 06:23 PM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Are copycat cars a sincere form of flattery?

Automakers ‘borrow’ successful vehicle styling, outflank their rivals

By Roland Jones
Business editor
MSNBC
Updated: 9:16 p.m. ET April 20, 2006

When Lexus pulled the covers off its 2008 LS hybrid at the New York Auto Show last week, its elegant styling and sleek shape drew murmurs of admiration from the throng of reporters gathered to witness the luxury sedan’s debut.

But its unmistakable resemblance to the Mercedes S-Class also raised a few eyebrows.

It’s no secret that Lexus, long the number-one luxury brand in the United States, has set its sites on competing with European luxury passenger car brands like Mercedes and BMW. But the contours of the new Lexus LS hybrid, its headlights and even its state-of-the-art safety features, were strongly similar to the celebrated S-Class, showing that, while imitation may be the sincerest form of flattery, in the automotive industry it has become a way to challenge the dominance of your rivals.

“Why are cars made by Mercedes and Lexus looking the same? Because Lexus is going after a European look, and that’s what’s selling these days,” said Kevin Reale, an automotive industry analyst at AMR Research. “Cadillac’s lines are a lot sharper, but the smoother European lines are more popular. So in the end we have to ask ourselves if this is plagiarism, or if it’s just a case of understanding what the customer wants?”

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12373162/
Old 04-20-06, 06:33 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

IMO this article is several years dated. The LS 430 had significant resemblance to the previous S-class at the time. The New LS does not resemble the S-class 'unmistakably.' It seems this article is not accurate.

But I posted the video link that this article references in the LS 460 forum.
Old 04-20-06, 07:06 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Huh?? The S-class?? In case we forgot.

Old 04-20-06, 07:37 PM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The S-class is getting bling-er and bling-er. I hope those people who really appreciate the elegant look of the Lexus LS please don't put any DUBs on their cars.
Old 04-20-06, 08:34 PM
Omega66
Driver School Candidate

I see absolutely no resemblance in these 2 cars.

However, I must admit the new LS does resemble the 7 series in it's overall shape, but not detailing.
Old 04-20-06, 08:34 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If anything I see more Infiniti M in it than S Class.
Old 04-20-06, 08:40 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

what the hell.. they don't even look alike. Although, the LS looks very similar to the 7 than the S.
Old 04-21-06, 07:09 AM
Skulinex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as enigma354 pointed, maybe the previous gen, but this one? Crack's helluva drug mon
Old 04-21-06, 08:36 AM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree LS and the rest of the line no longer look like Mercedes anymore which is a good thing.
Old 04-21-06, 03:34 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I see more Lexus GS than anything else in the new LS. I see no resemblance to the new S and the resemblance to the 7 is minimal at best. A sharp side profile may make it look similar to the 5/7 but once you move around it, that just falls apart. I just wish EVERYONE including MB and BMW would just move away from implementing that disgusting Bangle-butt trunk design.
Old 04-21-06, 07:51 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Omega66
I see absolutely no resemblance in these 2 cars.

However, I must admit the new LS does resemble the 7 series in it's overall shape, but not detailing.
In picture especially the side view, I see that the LS 'looks like" the 5/7.
HOWEVER, for those who haven't seen it in person, it does not look anything like it at all.

As a matter of fact, on the early viewing of the LS, I brought out my brother in law's 7 just to compare because I was curious myself

What does MB have to say about the blatant rip off of the 7's interior???

And this guy Roland Jones "Business editor" is a car expert..........right!

edit: sorry if it sounds like I'm directing this towards you Omega but I'm not.
Attached Thumbnails Are copycat cars a sincere form of flattery?-cllogo.jpg  

Last edited by GS3Tek; 04-21-06 at 07:55 PM.
Old 04-21-06, 08:53 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

LMAO...this guy is funny.
Old 04-22-06, 07:35 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Gekko
Automakers ‘borrow’ successful vehicle styling, outflank their rivals

By Roland Jones
Business editor
MSNBC
Updated: 9:16 p.m. ET April 20, 2006

When Lexus pulled the covers off its 2008 LS hybrid at the New York Auto Show last week, its elegant styling and sleek shape drew murmurs of admiration from the throng of reporters gathered to witness the luxury sedan’s debut.

But its unmistakable resemblance to the Mercedes S-Class also raised a few eyebrows.

It’s no secret that Lexus, long the number-one luxury brand in the United States, has set its sites on competing with European luxury passenger car brands like Mercedes and BMW. But the contours of the new Lexus LS hybrid, its headlights and even its state-of-the-art safety features, were strongly similar to the celebrated S-Class, showing that, while imitation may be the sincerest form of flattery, in the automotive industry it has become a way to challenge the dominance of your rivals.

“Why are cars made by Mercedes and Lexus looking the same? Because Lexus is going after a European look, and that’s what’s selling these days,” said Kevin Reale, an automotive industry analyst at AMR Research. “Cadillac’s lines are a lot sharper, but the smoother European lines are more popular. So in the end we have to ask ourselves if this is plagiarism, or if it’s just a case of understanding what the customer wants?”

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12373162/

And the Germans are not going after the Aisan look???

With this new global auto economy, its rarer and rarer to see cars with its true country orgins.

I think its just ridiculous how everyone overlooks Japanese car design and its contributions. If Lexus in particular had not come out with swoopy designs, luxury cars would all look like Volvo's still.

IMO, the new LS has some 7 styling, NOT S-class styling at all.

How can he say the Euro lines are more popular, if Lexus is the #1 selling brand in America?

lol