Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Holy Hydrogen Alert! Oil Hits $70-plus a Barrel for the First Time

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-06, 02:30 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Holy Hydrogen Alert! Oil Hits $70-plus a Barrel for the First Time

NEW YORK — Crude oil closed above $70 a barrel for the first time on Monday, a price that is likely to have a significant impact on driving habits, car purchases and consumer spending. It also raises the specter of a national average of $3 per gallon for gasoline as motorists head into the peak driving season.

The Gas Watch Web site said the current U.S. average price for a gallon of gasoline stands at $2.81. The highest price as of Monday is paid by motorists in Los Angeles: $3.35 per gallon. The lowest price, $2.19, is paid in Saint Paul, Minnesota.

The U.S. benchmark oil for May delivery settled at a record of $70.40 a barrel, up $1.08 a barrel or 1.56 percent on the New York Mercantile Exchange on Monday. For the year to date, oil is up 15 percent, according to the Wall Street Journal.

What this means to you: Suddenly, solar vehicles aren't so quaint anymore.

Source: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=110070
Old 04-19-06, 02:36 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I'm still gonna drive my GS400 like I normally do .

it's not gonna bother me until it hits $4/gal.
Old 04-19-06, 02:39 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg

It's gonna bother me UNTIL it hit's $4 a gallon,.............. then I get some needed excersize on a mountain bike
Old 04-19-06, 02:51 PM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This won't be fun when boating season starts either, gassing up the V8 and the Sea-Doo for a day at the lake is expensive And it's still April
Old 04-19-06, 02:59 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

$1.11/L downtown today. Highest last year was $1.21. I dunno - I probably spend more on coffee than gas, so ya.
Old 04-19-06, 03:52 PM
MGS4
Lexus Test Driver

still waiting for lithium ion battery powered hybrid.......... not for long
Old 04-19-06, 04:10 PM
TTEHarrier
Rookie

New hybrids are coming out soon

Last edited by TTEHarrier; 04-19-06 at 06:46 PM.
Old 04-19-06, 04:32 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

You kidding me. I'm already hurting. Its just over 3 bucks for Super here in Philly, but thankfully its still about 20-30cents cheaper back in NJ and I dont drive much. I'm definitely not trying to drive much at all this summer. Lots of carpooling and Public Transportation if I can.
Old 04-19-06, 04:34 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Overclocker
N
The Gas Watch Web site said the current U.S. average price for a gallon of gasoline stands at $2.81. The highest price as of Monday is paid by motorists in Los Angeles: $3.35 per gallon. The lowest price, $2.19, is paid in Saint Paul, Minnesota.
They always exclude Hawaii gas prices for some reason. In Waikaloa and Lahaina here in Hawaii regular 87 is going for $3.43-$3.44 a gallon. Premium has already toped over $4.00 a gallon on certain Islands. At thiss point we are nearing that $5.00 a gallon I was talking about that makes hybrids start to become worth it right now. I thought we were a few years off, but we only have $1.00 more to go
Old 04-19-06, 04:44 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
be glad you don't live in Hawaii....!

oh by the way...........procrastination is not a good thing
Old 04-19-06, 04:45 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Default $72 oil? Expect $105

$72 oil? Expect $105
Posted: April 19, 2006
www.WorldNetDaily.com

WND author and columnist Craig R. Smith told CNBC "Closing Bell" host Maria Bartiromo today that oil prices could spike over $105 a barrel given the explosive Iran situation and supply demand fundamentals.

Charles Maxwell, an oil analyst who was also a guest with Smith, said, "These terrible things like Iran, Nigeria, Venezuela are now happening on the geopolitical front with such frequency that they are becoming a permanent condition. We are caught in an energy crisis which may be 50 percent fear, but real nonetheless."

Said Smith: "I don't think people are taking into consideration the threat from Iran, not just from nuclear, but also and the effect they have as second-largest OPEC producer and fourth-largest producer in the world. If you take that out of the equation, I think estimates by Merrill Lynch and others of a spike price of $105 are a legitimate target."

When asked when higher oil prices affect consumer spending, Smith reminded Bartiromo, "It's not just the price at the pump that is affected by rising oil; major corporations like UPS, Fed Ex trucks garbage trucks, etc., must eventually pass on the price of rising fuel.

"For example, according to Merrill Lynch, each 1-cent rise in gas prices sucks $1.3 billion a year from U.S. consumer spending. That's $130 billion gone from American wallets over the last year."

Added Smith: "We must move toward energy independence as a top priority, as we cover in the book, 'Black Gold Stranglehold.'"

In an exclusive pre-show interview, Smith told WND: "The Middle East is a powder keg with a lit fuse that could blow any day. Oil at $71 should be no surprise to WND readers. Last fall, several major investment firms like Goldman Sachs projected an oil spike price of $105 per barrel."

Continued Smith: "Expectations of a further decline in gasoline inventories are also fueling the market jitters, especially with tight supplies ahead of the summer driving season. Gas prices have already spiked above $3 a gallon here in Phoenix.

"Crude oil, gasoline and heating-oil surged to record highs in 2005 on signs that U.S. refineries lack capacity to make enough fuel. Gasoline inventories have declined for the past seven weeks, while refineries run at 86.2 percent of capacity," commented Smith.

"Unless we break the "Black Gold Stranglehold" of the Mideast oil dependence, prices could double again as growing global demand continues to outstrip our supplies of refined oil and gas."

http://worldnetdaily.com/news/articl...TICLE_ID=49815
Old 04-19-06, 05:23 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Another one of these threads?
Old 04-19-06, 05:29 PM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

No way!
Don't worry, Jack Bauer is stopping President Logan. He made a comment about not letting it hit the $100/barrel

Sorry, couldn't help myself.
Old 04-19-06, 05:30 PM
jhenty
Pole Position

its just getting ridiculous. The oil companies are just greedy, theres no other explaination for it. It does nothing but hurt the economy, the extra money we now spend on gas, we wont be spending elsewhere. In 30 years it will be nice to see those greedy oil companies start going down the drain because of themselves.
Old 04-19-06, 06:48 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

I sure as hell don't like the prices, but even though the numbers are staggering, the net profit is something like 33% across the board, which is not much in an industry.

The biggest reason for the rate hike is actually here at home.... the Alaska pipeline is about to get a full rebuild. BILLIONS in expenses.

Quick Reply: Holy Hydrogen Alert! Oil Hits $70-plus a Barrel for the First Time