Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Folding Hardtop Mazda MX-5 / Miata(Update - Priced at 24K pg. 3)

Old 06-20-06, 07:23 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Extra Topping: Mazda's MX-5 gets folding hardtop option for '07

By BOB GRITZINGER

AutoWeek | Published 06/20/06, 9:08 am et

We like the oh-so-easy-folding ragtop on the third-generation Mazda MX-5 so much that we’re left scratching our heads that the Ford-owned Japanese automaker would go to the trouble of engineering an optional folding-hardtop convertible for the 2007 model.

Yes, folding hardtops offer extra security from theft and better protection from the weather, and the trick motorized lids are all the rage right now in two- and four-seat cars. But is the added weight of a folding top and its motors and cables what you want in a lightweight roadster? How much complexity and cost does the roof add to Mazda’s value roadster?

Mazda will answer those questions soon, once the MX-5 Power Retractable Hard Top makes its global debut July 18 at the 2006 British International Motor Show in London. The car goes on sale in August or September in the U.S.

Mazda notes that a removable hardtop has been an option on the MX-5 since its launch in 1990, with a cloth convertible top standard. The 2006 MX-5 was launched late last year amid an increasingly competitive segment that now includes affordable roadster entries from General Motors (Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky). Historically, retractable hardtops have been offered on more expensive models, however several affordable four-seat cars with folding hardtops have recently arrived on the market.
OFFICIAL RELEASE FROM MAZDA
MAZDA TO EXHIBIT NEW MAZDA MX-5 MIATA WITH POWER RETRACTABLE HARD TOP AT THE BRITISH INTERNATIONAL MOTOR SHOW

IRVINE, Calif. — Mazda Motor Corporation will make the global debut of the Mazda MX-5 Miata Power Retractable Hard Top at the 2006 British International Motor Show in London, England. Since its launch in 1990, and with subsequent generations launched in 1999 and 2006, MX-5 Miata has always been available with an optional removable hardtop, but this is the first time the car will be available with a power-operated retractable hard top.

The British International Motor Show will be held in London from Tuesday, July 18, through Sunday, July 30, 2006.

Featuring a new, unique power retractable hard top roof, this is an all-new addition to the third-generation Mazda MX-5 which launched in late 2005 as a 2006 model. This new Mazda MX-5 provides a unified sense of driving exhilaration, ready to spread the fun of lightweight sports cars in diverse and distinct new ways, regardless of the weather.

“Jinba Ittai”—or ’rider and horse as one’ is the essence of Mazda MX-5, the expression reflecting the emotional connection between a horse and rider.

Along with the global debut of the MX-5 Power Retractable Hard Top, the Mazda Sassou and Kabura concept vehicles will also be shown.

Mazda will hold a press conference on Tuesday, July 18, 2006 at 11:45 a.m. (British Summer Time).

Mazda MX-5 with a power retractable hard top roof will be known by different names around the world:

North America: Mazda MX-5 Power Retractable Hard Top

Europe: Mazda MX-5 Roadster Coupe

Japan: Mazda Roadster Power Retractable Hard Top

Source: http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...5/TOC01ARCHIVE
Old 06-20-06, 08:07 AM
saleem
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That has to be the most innovative folding hardtop I have ever seen still has a functional trunk with the top folded down I would love to have that on my mazdaspeed. Awesome Mazda they are gonna sell a TON of these.
Old 06-20-06, 08:24 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What's up with hardtop convertibles? They're springing left and right!!!

It's good to see that automakers are considering this option instead of ragtops. I think it serves the function better, and it makes any car look clean and sleek. Too bad it adds a helluvalot of extra body weight...
Old 06-20-06, 08:32 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. One look at the pictures and you know that it was a good idea for Mazda to build
the hardtop convertible. I'm thinkin' they are going to sell lots of these bad boys. If they
can keep it under $30K, they've got a good hit on their hands.

The Miata has just given itself another advantage over the Soltice and Sky.
Old 06-20-06, 08:40 AM
saleem
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT

It's good to see that automakers are considering this option instead of ragtops. I think it serves the function better, and it makes any car look clean and sleek. Too bad it adds a helluvalot of extra body weight...
It only weighs 79.4lbs more than the 2006 touring model MX-5. The touring model weighs less than my Mazdaspeed I dont know how they managed to do that. My Mazdaspeed weighs 2529lbs the 2006 touring weighs 2474 add 80lbs to 2474 and you get 2554lbs of curb weight which is astonishingly good . It only weighs a little over 25lbs more than my Mazdaspeed. I dont know how Mazda manages to make this car better and better all the time. That is awesome
Old 06-20-06, 08:50 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by saleem
It only weighs 79.4lbs more than the 2006 touring model MX-5. The touring model weighs less than my Mazdaspeed I dont know how they managed to do that. My Mazdaspeed weighs 2529lbs the 2006 touring weighs 2474 add 80lbs to 2474 and you get 2554lbs of curb weight which is astonishingly good . It only weighs a little over 25lbs more than my Mazdaspeed. I dont know how Mazda manages to make this car better and better all the time. That is awesome
Wow. That is pretty amazing. Compared to the two ton weight of the SC, the MX5 is a feather...
Old 06-20-06, 09:25 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Looks real good, I like it , especially if it's still relatively light too
Old 06-20-06, 04:24 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Great move on Mazdas part. It looks good.
Old 06-20-06, 06:39 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

Wow. That is pretty amazing. Compared to the two ton weight of the SC, the MX5 is a feather...
blah, compared to my mrs its pig... then i enter and it evens out, lol :-).

seriously though, anyone notice the author dissing the idea of hard top on miata? How shortsighted is that? I would love hard top convertible!
Old 06-20-06, 07:11 PM
LexFather

Jag and BMW avoid like the plauge. As Aston Martin..

You can get a hardtop convert in some 12k cars in Europe, but not luxury cars. I just don't get it.

Old 06-20-06, 08:45 PM
saleem
Pole Position

Originally Posted by genearch
Impressive that they made it with such a small weight penalty. I think it looks alright.

To me the perfect driver for this car is the 21-24 yr old female.
That is a really bright statement
Old 07-18-06, 11:01 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Mazda today officially unveiled its new MX-5 with Power Retractable Hard Top at the British International Motor Show. As the name implies, the roadster has a powered folding roof, unlike the canvas-top version, which is manually operated. As previously reported, the car is rumored to cost just $2,000 more than the canvas-top variant, and weigh only 75 lbs more.

source : leftlanenews
Old 07-18-06, 11:07 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Default Press Release Video . . .

click HERE
Old 07-18-06, 11:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I can understand a metal top from a security standpoint, but the Miata's regular soft-top is so easy to use.....perhaps the simplest-folding top I've ever seen.....that it makes you wonder why Mazda bothered to add weight, complexity, and cost to the car designing something like this.....it will also probably cut way down on trunk room.
Old 07-18-06, 11:12 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

looks great... i agree with the others - this is going to be a hit!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Folding Hardtop Mazda MX-5 / Miata(Update - Priced at 24K pg. 3)