Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

can toyota engines take E85?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-06, 01:19 PM
timoc42
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can toyota engines take E85?

just wondering if any of you have info whether toyota engines can take E85 or not?

know whether toyota is on any Flex Fuel developments ?
Old 04-18-06, 01:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Most standard engines today can take gasohol / E85 mixtures of up to 10% alcohol without damage to fuel system components....I don't see why Toyota engines would be any different.
In fact, the alcohol helps keep the engine clean, adds octane to the fuel, and evaporates any moisture in the system.

Any more than 10% ( some MidWestern E85 gas-alcohol mixtures are up to 20% ) requires a special engine / fuel system design or package. GM makes one for the Tahoe and some other vehicles....but I have not heard of a Toyota / Lexus one yet.
Old 04-18-06, 01:36 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by timoc42
just wondering if any of you have info whether toyota engines can take E85 or not?

know whether toyota is on any Flex Fuel developments ?
nope... toyota is making flex fuel engines for brasil, since now in brasil over 50% of new cars sold are flex fuel.
However toyota does not belive E85 is solution to any problem, so they wont sell them unless they have to.

For instance, it is less known fact that USA will be facing E85 shortage crisis this year, and that it actually imports most of its E85 (from Brazil where it is made cheaper than in USA and sugar cane produced E85 is cheaper to produce than corn based).
Old 04-18-06, 04:25 PM
Mwmorph
Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Most standard engines today can take gasohol / E85 mixtures of up to 10% alcohol without damage to fuel system components....I don't see why Toyota engines would be any different.
In fact, the alcohol helps keep the engine clean, adds octane to the fuel, and evaporates any moisture in the system.

Any more than 10% ( some MidWestern E85 gas-alcohol mixtures are up to 20% ) requires a special engine / fuel system design or package. GM makes one for the Tahoe and some other vehicles....but I have not heard of a Toyota / Lexus one yet.
e85 is 85% ethanol(alcohol), 15% gas, hence the name. I think you are a little confused between E85 and some other fuel tht uses 10-20% alcohol.
Old 04-18-06, 05:27 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

E85 is junk anyway...it doesn't burn as well, produces less horsepower, and less mileage.

Scott
Old 04-18-06, 08:15 PM
timoc42
Lead Lap

why would you say its junk?

I thought it burns better, and cleaner ... and gives out less emissions... sorta helps global warming.
Not that Im a tree hugger anyways, but just looking at opportunities to build a ethanol plant in Asia.
Old 04-18-06, 08:17 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sonyman
E85 is junk anyway...it doesn't burn as well, produces less horsepower, and less mileage.

Scott
exactly!

it also takes more energy to create E85 than it yields.

that's why the genius's at GM are pushing it....hahahhahaa....I have to laff at them!!