Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

High Performance the Lexus Way ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-06, 10:36 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts
Default High Performance the Lexus Way ?

Lexus AMG? Not quite…

With Mercedes putting increased emphasis on its AMG performance models, and BMW rolling out more “M” cars, many of their competitors in the luxury segment are said to be planning similar offerings. Cadillac is believed to have a series of Super V cars in the works, for example. But don’t expect a copycat program from Lexus, says General Manager Bob Carter. In an interview with Automotive News, he said the LF-A will be the company’s performance halo car, but it does not mark a shift in direction. While a performance sub-brand has not been ruled out, “we will do high performance in a Lexus way,” he said. He said Lexus will not be transformed to a performance-oriented brand (like BMW) with extra-firm suspension and go-cart handling. Rather, performance cars would have to “deliver performance with a Lexus feel.” The Leftlane Perspective: The “Lexus way” sounds a lot like the “Mercedes way” to us. Make your cars any more supple and you’re asking for trouble.

source : leftlanenews

-------------------------------------------------
" Make your cars any more supple and you’re asking for trouble. "
Old 04-18-06, 10:43 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Like I've said before, enthusiasts will hate the "Lexus way" of high performance. I doubt Lexus will compromise luxury for performance.

But Lexus will sell/market more to the general public, which outnumbers enthusiasts by a whole lot. If Mercedes can sell cars because of prestige and performance, Lexus can do the same with the added bonus of reliability and quality.

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
" Make your cars any more supple and you’re asking for trouble. "
Is it asking for trouble? Only from enthusiasts. Give a luxury car with 500+ hp and all the bells and whistles that no one else can offer, and Lexus will sell them like hotcakes...
Old 04-18-06, 10:56 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

If they are serious about a high performance divsion, they should be catering to the sporty car enthusiasts, otherwise why bother? they can just continue to do what they're doing right now & still makes more money than it's competition.
Performance is not just big hp, it has to have the chassis to handle the power for the car to handle well during spirited driving, & if it's too supple, that will get in the way, you have to have at least a good balance between a comfortable ride & handling, that's why I agree the AMG way is reasonable, if they don't want to be exactly as sporty as the BMW M models.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 04-18-06 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-18-06, 01:28 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Lexus is luxury seems to be the simplest way to put it. But I think having a separately badged, AMG-like lineup would be great. I still say a 'GS 500 GT' or something would be very interesting.
Old 04-18-06, 01:39 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

i would never buy an AMG. I could see myself in an M, but not really. However I would take an "h" without any problems. GS450h would be simply enough for me in every possible way.
Old 04-18-06, 01:43 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately I fear that hybrid is Lexus' idea of high performance. Not saying it's bad, but not in the same league as AMG/M/S
Old 04-18-06, 02:05 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

I guess is appears Lexus way is street performance, where you will either not use the full potential or it would be highly illegal when you do use it on the street. It doesn't sound like they are after any sort of track performance though. The market is larger for those that want to show off on the street though. I tend to like track oriented cars that can be street driven like the M cars or the NSX, pr Porsche Cayman and such when it comes to performance cars.
Old 04-18-06, 04:38 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I guess is appears Lexus way is street performance, where you will either not use the full potential or it would be highly illegal when you do use it on the street. It doesn't sound like they are after any sort of track performance though. The market is larger for those that want to show off on the street though. I tend to like track oriented cars that can be street driven like the M cars or the NSX, pr Porsche Cayman and such when it comes to performance cars.
well h is definetly not same kind of performance brand as AMG or M. It is easily seen by the car sticker - GS450h costs 30k less than its BMW or E class performance brands so I dont think anyone would really cross shop them.

It is just that I personally find something that can do 0-60 in 5 seconds and have torque stronger than V8 engine, while doing 28mpg, will definetly satisfy my high speed urges.

Some people complained about active stabilizator costing 3k for GS450h too... You cant have it all people...
Old 04-18-06, 09:53 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didn't Lexus say they were contemplating a $100k flagship Lexus a year or so ago? How bout taking two 2JZ-GTEs and mating them together in V-12 config, with 6.0L and quad turbos.
Old 04-18-06, 10:25 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i agree that if lexus is going performance, for god's sake pleae forget about the "lexus way", it just won't cut it. people like performance they don't need the numb feel of the steering, they don't like the cushion seats, they don't like body roll, they don't need tons more weight to keep the car quiet, etc...

look at the m, that's pure performance rides. it's louder, stiffer, but you get yourself a real driver's car. even mb can't compete with that, they only have power but no handling.

so with the "lexus way", it's like lexus is trying to make a car that's truely in the middle of nowhere....
Old 04-18-06, 10:54 PM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
Performance is not just big hp, it has to have the chassis to handle the power for the car to handle well during spirited driving, & if it's too supple, that will get in the way, you have to have at least a good balance between a comfortable ride & handling, that's why I agree the AMG way is reasonable, if they don't want to be exactly as sporty as the BMW M models.
Yeah, what's the point of having a super fast car that only goes straight?
Only when it turns is where it will get in trouble since the chasssis/suspensions can't handle it
Old 04-19-06, 01:14 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If Lexus was to make luxury cars with high output engines, like Mercedes does with AMG series that would be great. I dont care for BMW's ///M line up, if I wanted a sports car I would get a real sports car like Elise or S2000.
Old 04-19-06, 01:24 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i agree that if lexus is going performance, for god's sake pleae forget about the "lexus way", it just won't cut it. people like performance they don't need the numb feel of the steering, they don't like the cushion seats, they don't like body roll, they don't need tons more weight to keep the car quiet, etc...
Muhahaha, tell that to all the S600 owners :-P

look at the m, that's pure performance rides. it's louder, stiffer, but you get yourself a real driver's car. even mb can't compete with that, they only have power but no handling.
And there are plenty of cars that can make the M's seem like pansies in the performance department, and for less $$$. If everyone cared about handling so much, you would see everyone driving elises, corvettes, etc. Reality is, most people do not care about performance, they want their cars quier, softer and more luxurious. Sports cars are not for everyone.

so with the "lexus way", it's like lexus is trying to make a car that's truely in the middle of nowhere....
It may be in the middle of nowhere, but then so are the AMG models from Mercedes, and they seem to sell much better than ///M series.
Old 04-19-06, 02:13 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Loudness and stiff ride are the two most responsible things to make driver tired and exhausted while driving. That is not a good thing in a car if you ask me.

Still i believe that M3 is the most overrated car of today.
Old 04-19-06, 02:29 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by spwolf
well h is definetly not same kind of performance brand as AMG or M. It is easily seen by the car sticker - GS450h costs 30k less than its BMW or E class performance brands so I dont think anyone would really cross shop them.

It is just that I personally find something that can do 0-60 in 5 seconds and have torque stronger than V8 engine, while doing 28mpg, will definetly satisfy my high speed urges.

Some people complained about active stabilizator costing 3k for GS450h too... You cant have it all people...

Please don't take this the wrong way as I'm just curious to get a feel of where you are coming from when we talk performance cars. I'm sure you have, but I have to ask. Have you ever been able to drive cars like the M3, or NSX, or Corvette, or Porsche 911 and the like? That is my idea and pretty much the norm when it comes to performance cars IMHO. The Lexus way is like you said the GS450H, but that is totally different. It is a fast car, but it is not a performance car. I can live with the fact that Lexus buyers wouldn't ever want to drive a traditional performance car as the ride is too harsh, the steering is too tight, the noise level of the engine is too loud and such. That is perfectly fine, that is why I stated it appears Lexus' way is not meant to be a track inspired performance car but one mearly for the street. I appreciate the fact that if I only could have one car for my entire family, the Lexus GS450H or someting similar is a high possibility. However, why not buy a Corvette or NSX and get a Camry as a daily driver? The end result of the Lexus way is that it surely will appeal to Lexus owners who want more performance, but I don't think that Lexus way will bring in traditional performance car buyers into the showroom. The LF-A has that potential, but that is a $100K car. As it is right now, I'd buy a Lexus to be my family cruiser, but I'd still stick with BMW, Porsche, and even Acura (Provided the new NSX is good and the proposed V6 sports coupe come to fruition) when it comes to more true performance cars.

Quick Reply: High Performance the Lexus Way ?