Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Dont Like What Lexus Is Doing (complaint about engine covers)

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-06, 10:42 AM
Aristo94
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dont Like What Lexus Is Doing (complaint about engine covers)

I DONT KNOW ABOUT NE ONE ELSE BUT ON THE NEWER CARS I DONT LIKE HOW THEY CAP THE ENGINE DOWN WITH ALL THAT PLASTIC...HOW ARE U TO WORK ON UR CAR WITH ALL THAT CRAP I REALLY DONT LIKE THE FACT THEY ARE DOING THAT I LIKE TO WORK ON MYCAR MYSELF AND THAT MAKES IT ALL THE MORE DIFFICULT TO DO THAT!
Old 04-17-06, 10:43 AM
Ichigo
Pole Position

I agree... the plastic cap is kinda annoying, but it does make the engine bay look alot more organized/cleaner. Also... pls. turn off caps lock.
Old 04-17-06, 10:51 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The engine cover is a desirable feature with the LARGE majority of luxury car buyers. If you are the wrenching type then it takes you all of 5 minutes to remove it and leave it off for good.

As an extra benefit it also helps them cut down on engine noise levels inside of and outside of the car pretty dramatically. I saw a measurement on it once but it does make a difference, and you know Lexus especially is all about noise reduction.

IMO it'd be nice if they made it a little easier to remove - like maybe clip on and off rather than bolt-on, but only if they could maintain durability and not have to worry about clips wearing over time.
Old 04-17-06, 12:07 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

YES BECAUSE LEXUS IS THE ONLY CAR COMPANY THAT DOES THIS
Old 04-17-06, 12:11 PM
zomg!11
Rookie

Originally Posted by Aristo94
I DONT KNOW ABOUT NE ONE ELSE BUT ON THE NEWER CARS I DONT LIKE HOW THEY CAP THE ENGINE DOWN WITH ALL THAT PLASTIC...HOW ARE U TO WORK ON UR CAR WITH ALL THAT CRAP I REALLY DONT LIKE THE FACT THEY ARE DOING THAT I LIKE TO WORK ON MYCAR MYSELF AND THAT MAKES IT ALL THE MORE DIFFICULT TO DO THAT!
why don't you remove it?
Old 04-17-06, 12:16 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
YES BECAUSE LEXUS IS THE ONLY CAR COMPANY THAT DOES THIS

SO true....Every car manufacturer is doing this these days.

Acura is 100000x worse than Lexus when it comes to this, look inside the engine compartment on the new TSX/RSX. All you see is a big cover that says ACURA.

I just went to the NY Auto Show, and you can really see that every new car comes with this. I believe the main function is noise reduction, while at the same time providing a finished look inside the compartment.
Old 04-17-06, 12:23 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I like it clean and crisp looking. When an engine bay gets too dirty with oil stains, liquid spills, and dusty wiring, it makes it look older and unkept. And as much as I would love to have a shining steam cleaned chrome engine sparkling at all times, it just won't happen as I drive the car everyday, rather than only during car shows.
Old 04-17-06, 12:24 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i remember something about new upper-end VWs...if there is such a thing besides the Phaeton

have a cover that can only be removed by using a key-wrench type thing at the dealership...so you can't like even do oil changes or what not.

or i could be wrong.
Old 04-17-06, 12:43 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Well first of all they are not difficult to remove, it might take you an extra two minutes of work. Second of all, most Lexus owners would prefer the plastic rather than have the engine and all its guts in plain site. And finally, most luxury car manufacturers have some sort of engine covers to keep the bay looking clean and neet.
Old 04-17-06, 12:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramon
Well first of all they are not difficult to remove, it might take you an extra two minutes of work. Second of all, most Lexus owners would prefer the plastic rather than have the engine and all its guts in plain site. And finally, most luxury car manufacturers have some sort of engine covers to keep the bay looking clean and neet.
i agree with ramon. lexus cares about the 95% of the market out there, not the 5% where we stand right now. people ask for cleanness and this is as clean as you can get.

plus, taking off those plastics for your engine work isn't anything that troublesome anyway. think about it. those cars still need to go to dealership for oil change and other services. if lexus make it a royal pain to take things off, they are looking for trouble for themselves too.
Old 04-17-06, 01:05 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

U know, I had never looked at my engine bay of my IS350 until last week when i decided to install my HID kit. I popped the hood and i was just amazed how beautiful the engine bay look. then i decided not to install my HID anymore since there are too many crap to remove. lol.
Old 04-17-06, 01:48 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

should come look at my 00 preludes engine bay that doesnt have any nice covers, lotta dirt in there
Old 04-17-06, 01:50 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by NYLexSC

Acura is 100000x worse than Lexus when it comes to this, look inside the engine compartment on the new TSX/RSX. All you see is a big cover that says ACURA.

My buddy has a TSX and I've worked on his car before. It looks like most cars out there. The only cover really is the engine cover. Other than that, it's comparable to a 2G GS400.
Old 04-17-06, 01:55 PM
Edison_Chen
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

I like the engine cover. It kinda make the engine look very clean, tidy.

For the average car owner, it looks pretty cool, covering the engine. For modification fans, they might not like it as much, because it covers the parts. (Intake, Valve Cover, Ground Wire, etc. etc.)
Old 04-17-06, 01:57 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by whoster
i remember something about new upper-end VWs...if there is such a thing besides the Phaeton

have a cover that can only be removed by using a key-wrench type thing at the dealership...so you can't like even do oil changes or what not.

or i could be wrong.
I hope youre wrong with this one! lol Id have to have to have a cover that I couldnt remove myself. Id probably just end up breaking it off or cutting it off, something like that...

"I like it clean and crisp looking. When an engine bay gets too dirty with oil stains, liquid spills, and dusty wiring, it makes it look older and unkept."

This kind of humored me a bit. Not that I like a dirty engine bay or wouldnt mind looking at a clean one all the time. Reminds me of when I was a little kid and my mom made me clean my room...I just kicked everything under the bed or in the closet...lol Engine bay is dirty, just cover it up! lol Kind of like, if you hear a squeak, rattle or creak, just turn the radio up...

Quick Reply: Dont Like What Lexus Is Doing (complaint about engine covers)