Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

CLS55 AMG vs BMW M5

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-06, 10:00 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

CLS. But I'd rather go for the 63 than the 55. I like the styling of the CLS inside and out better than the 5-Series. But I have to agree with the M5'ers that it's may be better in performance.
Old 04-16-06, 10:30 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusLuver
doesn't the new M6 cost as much as a 997GT3?
and? a civic with an engine swap can go with the gt2 as well from another video we saw.

about the same price, but both cars offer different things
Old 04-16-06, 11:36 AM
MGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CLK63 AMG, not the safety car of course

Old 04-16-06, 12:04 PM
flipspeed
Lead Lap

i've always preferred the rs6 over the other two. ever thought about the rs4?
Old 04-16-06, 01:20 PM
AJ
Lexus Champion

///M5 anytime
Old 04-16-06, 01:52 PM
JsN
Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
umm, style wise, it's all about cls55, but that's if you don't care about rear seats
performance wise it's all about m5. but that's if you really don't care about exterior....

really tough choice...... if i already have another car with space, maybe i will opt with the cls55, much better styling imho, though with less performance aspect (especially handling)
I'd have to agree with rominl here, the m5 wins hands down in the performance department but like ive been saying ever since it came out the exterior does nothing for me. The CLS is no slouch either regarding speed and looks much better then the m5 in styling. Have you had any thoughts in maybe the upcoming cls63 , e63 or maybe an m6? Something you might want to consider
Old 04-16-06, 01:54 PM
LuvLuxury
Driver

RS6? No thanks. Car has no appeal to me for some reason. AMG is winning by about 15% right now. I will be going to the bimmer dealer early this week for a test drive on the M5.

PS-Why would you go for the CLS63? Basically the same split's and times? But a larger more inefficient engine?

PS-White or Black? (ext. color scheme)

Thanks guys!

HAPPY EASTER!

LL
Old 04-16-06, 02:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
First of all, why buy that kind of car for stop & go traffic, you probably won't want an M6 nor a 997 turbo as a daily driver, but a weekend fun car to go to less congested areas. Traffic is usually less congested on the weekends in many areas anyway , well, maybe not on the way to a ball game in a stadium route.

Secondly, if you drive a stick in stop & go traffic all the time, you can get used to it to the point that you would barely be aware that you're shifting, it becomes almost instinctive, just ask those who live in congested cities in Europe & Asia, particularly those taxi & bus drivers, they drive manual taxi's & buses in bad traffic all the time. They tell me they can almost fall asleep & still knows how to shift LOL. If you don't want to get used to doing that kind of driving that's fine, use it as a weekend car.

My G35c is a manual & I use it as a daily driver, while it's not that bad here on a daily basis, but I do get caught in stop & go & I swear that I 'm not even aware of the constant shifting as I am usually listening to music or conversing with my passenger, it's not a nuisance to me if you can get your mind off it.
I hear ya, but I've been there done that. I had a stick shift car for 6 years. When I lived on the edge of the burbs in one place it was great. Then I moved to the inner burbs in Atlanta and it sucked royally. When going 1 mile takes 30 minutes or more sometimes, that's a bunch of clutch in, clutch out. It got REALLY old fast. Sold the car after a couple of years.

Oh and I'm from Europe and most have stick shifts because most cars are so gutless they can almost only go backwards with an auto plus you can get better fuel economy with a stick and $7/gallon gets old too!
Old 04-16-06, 04:38 PM
GStateOM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CLS

Great looking car. It's not all lost performance wise. CLS is a bit faster on the straight

Last edited by GStateOM; 04-16-06 at 05:14 PM.
Old 04-16-06, 09:00 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Default why the cls63 brought up?

The 6.3 is gonna be n/a. I guess looking at the m5 being a v10 n/a
I feel the e55 is actually quicker than the cls55, but the styling is killer....hell if my girlfriend thinks a car is sexy, that thing MUST be sexy.
The m5 is gonna handle as good as anything, but you push everything to the limit all the time...it catches up.
Upgraded suspension parts can make almost any car ride as well as a true handling car minus 50/50, design ect.

I would go cls55
Old 04-16-06, 09:35 PM
LuvLuxury
Driver

Fireball. I like what have to say. I know exactly what you are talking about "sexy". A couple of really sexy women that I know - say the same thing. "OOOoo that is a really hot/sexy car!". Sure sure sure. I am a short guy who needs to make up his own self doubt and simple complexities with buying an extremely cool, unneceary vehicle but hey it makes me happy! (The women were talking about the CLS55)

CLS55 - I also will test drive this car early in the week.

PPS- WHITE OR BLACK for the exterior?

LL
Old 04-16-06, 10:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by fireballs gs400
The 6.3 is gonna be n/a. I guess looking at the m5 being a v10 n/a
I feel the e55 is actually quicker than the cls55, but the styling is killer....hell if my girlfriend thinks a car is sexy, that thing MUST be sexy.
The m5 is gonna handle as good as anything, but you push everything to the limit all the time...it catches up.
Upgraded suspension parts can make almost any car ride as well as a true handling car minus 50/50, design ect.

I would go cls55
actually the 63 engine has more hp and tq than the supercharged 55 engine i believe. and having NA engine is always better imho, there is no lag on any power, it's always there.

just my opinions of course. i am always a NA fan
Old 04-16-06, 10:20 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

CLS. Yummy.
Old 04-17-06, 05:59 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
actually the 63 engine has more hp and tq than the supercharged 55 engine i believe. and having NA engine is always better imho, there is no lag on any power, it's always there.

just my opinions of course. i am always a NA fan
power on superchargers is always there, turbos is where it lags
Old 04-17-06, 09:45 AM
KVA
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

The 63 engine will have more HP but less TQ than the 55 Kompressor models...it will also rev to 8000 RPM versus 6500 for the 55.

The 63 engine is the future for everything AMG.

I would probably go with either an M5 or the CLK63 (which has a tuned down 63 engine)...once you retune the 63 engine to bring back to it's 505HP potential you will have very similar performing cars.

M5 is wicked right off the lot...

Quick Reply: CLS55 AMG vs BMW M5