Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes re-aims R-Class at young families, lowers pricing

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-06, 08:08 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Mercedes re-aims R-Class at young families, lowers pricing

Shifting Focus
Mercedes re-aims R-Class at young families, lowers pricing

By DIANA T. KURYLKO | AUTOMOTIVE NEWS
AutoWeek | Published 04/12/06, 4:52 pm et

After its six-passenger R-Class crossover suffered an identity crisis, Mercedes-Benz has bumped up sales by lowering the vehicle's price and targeting a different group of buyers.

Since launching the R-Class last fall in the midst of a slumping large-truck market, Mercedes-Benz has sold 10,029 units. It put $5,000 in dealer cash and a $499 monthly lease offer on the vehicle in December. The base price for the six-cylinder R350 model is $48,775, including shipping. The V-8-powered R500 price starts at $56,275, including shipping.

Mercedes also switched its marketing from empty nesters to families. Sales in February and March averaged 2,192 units a month - roughly what Mercedes needs to reach its U.S. sales target.

Mercedes-Benz USA executives won't say what sales targets are for the R-Class. But before launch, executives at headquarters in Stuttgart said the R-Class' global sales goal was 50,000 vehicles a year. Half of that was to be for the United States.

Ron Mueller, department manager for luxury sport utility and touring vehicles at Mercedes-Benz USA, says sales in the R-Class segment dropped between 10 and 20 percent last year, depending on which vehicles are included.

Mueller says R-Class competitors include the Cadillac SRX, Chrysler Pacifica, Infiniti FX, and Volvo and Audi wagons. Analysts say full-sized SUVs, including the Lincoln Navigator, Hummer H2 and Infiniti QX56, also compete with the R-Class.

Rivals await
Other competitors are waiting in the wings. BMW will enter the segment with a similar vehicle and a smaller people carrier in 2008. And Audi launches its Q7 SUV in June.

While others have called the R-Class a large station wagon or small minivan, the brand's executives say it is in a new segment. Mercedes recently completed an online poll of would-be-buyers of the R-Class who said the vehicle is "something different and something new," says Mueller.

And the R-Class is bringing in new buyers. About 75 percent are conquests, he says.
Families, not nesters
Mercedes says launch marketing pitched the vehicle at the wrong buyers - wealthy empty nesters. Mercedes positioned the R-Class as "a brand new way for six adults to travel."

Mercedes found that young families are shopping the R-Class, which raised questions about the vehicle's pricing.

The confusion over the target customers is surprising, considering Mercedes started marketing the crossover more than two years before launch. Last June, after an 18-month Internet campaign, Mercedes-Benz said it had a list of 98,000 potential buyers. The vehicle was first shown in concept form at the Detroit auto show in 2002.

So what went wrong?

Todd Turner, an analyst with Car Concepts Inc. in Thousand Oaks, Calif., says Mercedes got the entire concept wrong. The styling isn't sporty enough for Mercedes.

"In this market people expect Mercedes-Benz to be luxurious, sporty and just about anything that the R class isn't," Turner says. "It's too expensive for the styling statement that is has."

Response to GM

Mueller says that Mercedes-Benz pumped up incentives in December because segment sales were dropping. Also, General Motors was cutting sticker prices on its products, he says.

"We had to respond as quickly as we could," Mueller says. "You can't reprice the vehicle in the middle of the model year."

According to data from the Power Information Network, Mercedes-Benz outspent competitors on incentives in March with more than $9,000 on both the R350 and R500.

The average transaction price has fallen from $62,182 in October to $54,018 in December and $50,248 in March, according to Power data. Mueller says initial production was heavily skewed toward fully loaded models to make sure the plant in Alabama could manufacture a vehicle with all options.

Fletcher Jones, owner of the Fletcher Jones Management Group with Mercedes dealerships in Honolulu; Fremont and Newport, Calif.; Las Vegas; and Chicago, says Mercedes-Benz acted correctly to refocus marketing.

"The program has been good and aggressive," he says. "It's a tremendous family car that husbands aren't ashamed to drive."
http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...THISWEEKSISSUE
Old 04-13-06, 09:14 AM
Ichigo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

smart call on Mercedes' part. hopefully the re-marketing of this car will help their sales.
Old 04-13-06, 10:48 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

ive seen like 1 or 2 on the road so far
Old 04-13-06, 11:14 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
ive seen like 1 or 2 on the road so far
You've actually seen them on the road? lol
Old 04-13-06, 11:16 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

I've seen a couple too on the road , they look ugly, but it's not bad inside . . .
Old 04-13-06, 11:49 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I too have seen a few. It might be because I live next to a MB dealership, but I've only seen 2. It looks like a Pacifica.
Old 04-13-06, 01:10 PM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

My business partner has the R350 with all the goodies and at first I thought it was odd looking but it has grown on me. I dont think there is an option that is missing, that is on it.....drives very nice. For the price difference of the R500 imo is not worth it......only like 35HP difference between the 2 of them.

It seems like a lot of companies are going to this sort of car/suv/van looking style.

That pic you posted is actually the AMG version....R6xx with over 500hp.....that would be amazing!!!!
Old 04-13-06, 01:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i have seen quite a few of them on the road. seriously, i still don't know what the car is for. anyone who's smart enough when buying a minivan would look to get the odyssey or the seinna. if they want to make this car sportier then why not just make an suv?

i don't know, i am still lost. every time i see it on the road i wonder what it's for... so far i have only seen people from 30s to 40s with it
Old 04-13-06, 02:12 PM
LexFather

I am a little confused, I thought it was selling well. It sells better than the M class!

Well I guess I was right again. Dumb move, no one wants a 50-75k van.

Its NOT related to the Pacifica but it DOES look like it

Old 04-13-06, 02:17 PM
Sv.Tequila
Driver

So is it a luxury van??? Still dont know what it is! I see them all the time!

Suave Tequila
Old 04-13-06, 02:18 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess I've never been a fan of the MB trucks/SUVs. I don't find the M/R/G/GL classes attractive at all.
Old 04-13-06, 02:20 PM
Sv.Tequila
Driver

I like the G class!! Neighbour of mine is trying to sell it, I think 90K though
Old 04-13-06, 03:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I am a little confused, I thought it was selling well. It sells better than the M class!

Well I guess I was right again. Dumb move, no one wants a 50-75k van.

Its NOT related to the Pacifica but it DOES look like it
that would be weird, i see a lot more m than r, that's for sure

and it might have the mb badge, but inside, i don't know how it can stack up with toyota and honda top of the line minivan. thsoe cars are so much better overall
Old 04-13-06, 03:25 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well I was driving home from school and I did it...I finally saw my first R-Class on the road...
Old 04-13-06, 04:17 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

I've also seen quite a few of them around here... Not quite my style of vehicle, but it does look pretty sharp.

Quick Reply: Mercedes re-aims R-Class at young families, lowers pricing