Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Baby Aston Martin V8 Vantage Convertible ( UPDATE- New Spy Photo's )

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-06, 08:04 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts
Default Baby Aston Martin V8 Vantage Convertible ( UPDATE- New Spy Photo's )

It's official! Aston Martin's secret drop-top has broken cover for the first time, and Auto Express's spies were on the spot to witness the event.

Our exclusive photographs record the first public steps of the legendary firm's new cabriolet, the sensational V8 Roadster - set to make its official debut at the Los Angeles Motor Show in November.

Forget the grainy pictures that you may have seen of the car so far. These world premiere shots reveal the finished machine in showroom-ready trim with the soft-top down. Spied in action on Britain's roads, it is the first chance we have had to see the newcomer close-up. Based on the V8 Vantage, the car keeps the coupé's stunning profile and size. However, the big surprise is that the drop-top won't use the famous Volante name which graces cabriolet versions of the DB9, and is christened Roadster instead.

According to our sources, the Volante name is reserved for four-seat machines such as the DB9, while the Roadster moniker will be applied to all future two-seater models. Aimed at the likes of the latest Porsche 911 Cabriolet and Mercedes SL, the new Aston aims to offer style and exclusivity in measures its rivals cannot match. Not only will that be backed up by limited production numbers, but by the car's hand-crafted feel. For example, the Roadster will feature a comfortable yet sporting cabin which includes the switchgear and instumentation shared by the V8 Vantage and the DB9.

The interior blends a crisp, modern design with traditional materials such as aluminium, hand-stitched leather and highly polished wood. As with the Vantage, the Roadster will give plenty of opportunity for customers to choose their own unique colour schemes.

Driving the test car is Dr Ulrich Bez, Aston Martin's chief executive. He has a strong engineering background, and has been heavily involved in the technical side of the model's development. Together with his team, he's ensured that the driving experience offered by the Roadster will match that of the excellent new Vantage, tested by Auto Express in issue 879.

Based on Aston's versatile VH aluminium chassis, the Roadster will have impressive handling thanks to its rigidity and near-perfect weight balance. Because the gearbox is mounted on the rear axle, and the engine located far behind the front axle, the steering should also prove very responsive.

With its high-revving 4.3-litre V8 powerplant and slick-shifting six-speed gearbox enabling a 0-60mph time of around five seconds, the Roadster will retain the coupé version's straight-line performance. Top speed is tipped to be 175mph. Although our images show the car with the roof stowed away, the two-seater will have an electrically powered soft-top controlled by a single switch located within the leather-trimmed cabin. Rear visibility will be aided by the model's glass back screen, while the fabric top will be insulated to improve refinement.

There's no word yet on exactly how long the roof-folding operation will take. However, it's suggested that the unit will work even at low speeds. The V8 Roadster will hit showrooms next year, with an expected premium of at least £5,000 over the coupé's £79,995 tag. Sales will start in spring, with the first deliveries made in summer.

Dan Strong

source : autoexpress.co.uk
Attached Thumbnails Baby Aston Martin V8 Vantage Convertible ( UPDATE- New Spy Photo's )-zzz.jpg  

Last edited by Gojirra99; 06-30-06 at 07:15 AM.
Old 04-12-06, 09:50 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I can't believe Volvo put out a hardtop convertible and a prestigous marque like Aston Martin still uses a fabric top. Otherwise, it looks great.
Old 04-13-06, 08:05 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRupp
I can't believe Volvo put out a hardtop convertible and a prestigous marque like Aston Martin still uses a fabric top. Otherwise, it looks great.
I'm not a big fan of ragtops either, but I'll make an exception as Aston knows how to look good, no matter what the top is.
Old 04-13-06, 08:08 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I'm not a big fan of ragtops either, but I'll make an exception as Aston knows how to look good, no matter what the top is.
I know. It's a work of art. The use of ragtops in high end cars is being discussed over in the thread about the new Bentley GT convertible... interesting as they're using a ragtop as well.
Old 04-13-06, 08:10 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Very sexy car. I love it.
Old 06-30-06, 07:19 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts
Default New Spy pics . . .

Aston Martin V8 Roadster

Now that the Aston Martin V8 Vantage coupe has been officially launched, the next variant is a convertible. One prototype was recently caught on photo during tests at Nürburgring while others were sighted at various places in Great Britain. The car is expected to come onto the market within the next six months. Not much is estimated to change during the switch from a hard top coupe to soft top cabriolet. The same 380hp V8 will be under the hood and it will send the power to the rear wheels through a six-speed manual transmission. According to rumours the car will be called V8 Roadster.

source : worldcarfans
Old 06-30-06, 10:03 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i would just want the coupe...
Old 06-30-06, 10:27 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

love the updated pics. looks hot
Old 06-30-06, 03:08 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Coupe looks better, but its still one sexy car.

I saw one in my neighborhood 2 weekends ago. Looks outstanding.