Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus! You're behind BMW now! What are you doing!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-06, 02:23 PM
MYIS350
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus! You're behind BMW now! What are you doing!

BMW just announces the new iPod interface to all their models. That is not fair. When is the Lexus going to do samiliar thing? Does the new LS have better Ipod interface than the rest of LEXUS models?

BMW announces new Interface for iPod With Expanded Model Availability and Features

System will be Available for new 3 Series Sedans and Sports Wagons as well as 5, 6, and 7 Series

WOODCLIFF LAKE, N.J., April 12 /PRNewswire/ -- BMW today announced the debut of a new BMW Interface for iPod that will enable seamless integration of the iPod for the newest generation of BMW models. With the new BMW Interface for iPod this means that seamless iPod connectivity will be available for every current BMW model.

The new BMW Interface for iPod will be available for owners of the new BMW 3 Series Sedans and Sports Wagons as well as the 5, 6, and 7 Series. It will also be available for the new M5 Sedan and M6 Coupe. It will enable audiophiles to bring their entire music collections with them, plug directly and effortlessly into a superior sound system while maintaining uncompromised control over their driving experience. Since the new Interface is compatible with SIRIUS satellite radio as well as the recently introduced HD Radio, owners will be able to enjoy a broad selection of high fidelity broadcast music sources as well. The original BMW iPod Adapter will continue to be available for 2002 and later BMW models: X3, X5, Z4, and previous generation 3 Series.

The original BMW iPod Adapter was the world's first seamless integration between iPod and a vehicle audio system. The new Interface will also allow users to incorporate their iPods directly into their car's sound system, but with the newly available capability to sort their music according to their own playlists, as well as by artist, album, genre, podcast, and finally, a random selection of 500 songs from the user library. Artist, album, and song title will appear in the Display Monitor.

The seamless integration of iPod makes it effortless for drivers to control their music through their existing audio system and the multifunction steering wheel. The new BMW Interface for iPod enables drivers to easily access their entire music library, shuffle songs, skip between tracks and adjust volume -- all of this with no loss of sound quality or driving control.

The new Interface is compatible with all iPods with a dock connector, including the iPod nano and the fifth generation iPod. The BMW iPod Interfaces integrate the iPod through a direct connection in the BMW glovebox, providing outstanding sound quality and constant power to the iPod all while your iPod remains protected and out of view.

The new BMW iPod Interface will be available for customers to purchase at BMW centers beginning in July 2006. Pricing has not been determined.

Features and operation may vary depending on vehicle model and option content. Consumers should check with their BMW centers for specific application restrictions or log onto www.ipodyourbmw.com. Installation is performed by authorized BMW centers only. iPod players are sold separately. Please visit www.ipodyourbmw.com for additional information.

BMW Group In America

BMW of North America, LLC has been present in the United States since 1975. ROLLS-ROYCE Motor Cars NA, LLC began distributing vehicles in 2003. The BMW Group in the United States has grown to include marketing, sales, and financial service organizations for the BMW brand, the MINI brand, and the ROLLS-ROYCE brand of Motor Cars; DesignworksUSA, an industrial design firm in California; a technology office in Silicon Valley and various other operations throughout the country. BMW Manufacturing Co., LLC in South Carolina is part of BMW Group's global manufacturing network and is the exclusive manufacturing plant for all Z4 Roadster and X5 Sports Activity Vehicles. The BMW Group sales organization is represented in the U.S. through networks of 339 BMW passenger car centers, 334 BMW Sports Activity Vehicle centers, 143 BMW motorcycle retailers, 80 MINI passenger car dealers, and 30 ROLLS-ROYCE Motor Car dealers. BMW (US) Holding Corp., the BMW Group's sales headquarters for North, Central and South America, is located in Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey.
Old 04-12-06, 02:27 PM
Turkoman
Pole Position

That is a killer. Especially if the iPod song, title etc. are fully dispalyed on the screen and can be controlled with the iDrive. Lexus is unlikely to have true iPod integration in the near future. They are not even listed by Apple as a prospective customer. I may have to check out the 530xi before my IS arrives.
Old 04-12-06, 02:29 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

ipod? Are you kidding me? Maybe its just me, but that isn't a huge selling point as far as I'm concerned. Definatly not something to justify the claim that they're "behind BMW now" as to imply Lexus was better but the ipod integration now makes them worse.
Old 04-12-06, 02:35 PM
MYIS350
Rookie

Even though I just found this article, I am 100% positive that I'm going to buy the new IS! Because the aftermarket solution is always an option. Someone in the club already found one for the aftermarket Ipod interface. http://www.diceelectronics.com/ipod_integration.htm
Old 04-12-06, 02:35 PM
Kermee
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hrm. Not available on 2006 3-Series Sedan.

What's the hold-up on the E90! or did they forget to update the website?

This thread should probably be moved to "Car Chat" anyway.

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 04-12-06, 02:36 PM
Kermee
Advanced

Originally Posted by MYIS350
Even though I just found this article, I am 100% positive that I'm going to buy the new IS! Because the aftermarket solution is always an option. Someone in the club already found one for the aftermarket Ipod interface. http://www.diceelectronics.com/ipod_integration.htm
If they have something that integrates fully with 5th Gen NAV in the 2IS and the 2007 Lexus models, I'll eat my shorts.

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 04-12-06, 02:38 PM
MYIS350
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kermee
Hrm. Not available on 2006 3-Series Sedan.

What's the hold-up on the E90! or did they forget to update the website?

This thread should probably be moved to "Car Chat" anyway.

Cheers,
Kermee
And where is the "Car Chat"?
Old 04-12-06, 03:01 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Absolutely, ipod integration is not a selling point. Having ipod integration will help sell anymore cars and no having ipod integration will not hurt sales. Lexus knows this. That's why they have their own timetable for implementation. We have to just live with it and quit *****ing, same happened with Nav when it first came out and Nav is still just an option.
Old 04-12-06, 03:12 PM
LexFather

AS one that doesn't have an I-pod, I could care less. Its a nice PLUS but not a reason not to buy a car.

I want to buy a CAR, not a stereo.

Old 04-12-06, 03:14 PM
Kermee
Advanced

Originally Posted by MYIS350
And where is the "Car Chat"?
Moot post since the thread has been moved, but I'll post anyway:

2IS forum isn't the only forum on CL. =D

Link To Car Chat

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 04-12-06, 03:34 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well with 'Mp3' integration on several models, and the HD on the LS 460, I think there are still strong points for Lexus audio tech integration. But if Scion can do the iPod integration stuff, Lexus should too!
Old 04-12-06, 04:42 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Lexus isnt behind BMW "now". it has always been behind BMW. (jk)

I could care less about ipod integration tho it would be really cool to have. I have 6 MP3 changer and that's a lot! that's about 5gb of music there. i dont think i need that much.
Old 04-12-06, 07:25 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You forget how crappy bimmer sound systems are comparing to Lexus. Nice feature but ultimately it BMW still sound prety horrible.
Old 04-12-06, 07:46 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by retrodrive
You forget how crappy bimmer sound systems are comparing to Lexus. Nice feature but ultimately it BMW still sound prety horrible.
Thank you, I was hoping someone would mention that. Not being an apple or ipod fan, I could care less about its integration. I buy a car for the car. One thing I wish they would integrate is a USB port or a memory card slot into the stereo system, like the new Kenwwod double DIN deck DPX-501. Something universal and not proprietary like the ipod. Use it like a CD changer without the skipping.
Old 04-12-06, 07:52 PM
Turkoman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ramon
ipod? Are you kidding me? Maybe its just me, but that isn't a huge selling point as far as I'm concerned. Definatly not something to justify the claim that they're "behind BMW now" as to imply Lexus was better but the ipod integration now makes them worse.
For those "who could care less about iPod integration", I was one of you. In fact, I was a staunch PC fan and I absolutely hated the Apple hype about the iPod until about a year ago. That's when I gave up on WMP and my Dell DJ as viable solutions over a year ago and decided to try the iPod and iTunes. I have never looked back. You won't either. If you diss iPods, you have never really owned one.

And there are two types of people in this world:

1. Those who use iPods daily
2. Those who WILL use iPods daily

Music and iPod are pretty much becoming synonymous. Even if you don't like music Podcasting will be something you will want. Buy an iPod and you will see why people are so keen on using it everywhere, including their cars (andno, I don't own a single share of Apple).

And full iPod integration, if true may sell me the BMW over my pending IS. However, BMWs prior attempt at integration was fairly pathetic and this may also just be hype without substance.

Although this BMW one is not it, the company that first integrates the iPod screen and artwork in their car with clickwheel functionality will increase their sales among the under 45 crowd (older folks may miss their 8-track tapes and may not care but that is a whole other matter). The reason Lexus is holding out is because Toyota is refusing to pony up the license fees to Apple for getting a real integration. They, like other manufacturers will eventually come back to Apple.

The built in hard drive is a very lame option. Those who have used computers know that you will lose hard drives and without something like iTunes, you will lose your music on them. If I lose my iPod, I can restore my music within hours using a new iPod and my computer.

Quick Reply: Lexus! You're behind BMW now! What are you doing!