Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Rediculous GAS PRICES!! solution?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-06, 03:31 PM
SC3005SPD1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rediculous GAS PRICES!! solution?

Simple... dont drive No but seriously, I remember on tv a couple months ago, guys were making diesel engines run on cooking oil. But we dont have diesel engines. Thank God. Gas prices for diesel is high also. But what about those racing guys(nascar) they use methanol. Is methanol the same as racing gas? If so cant we try to run on that or make it for that matter? I got my organic chemistry book and I sure hell would try and figure out how to mass produce this stuff if it doesnt harm our engines. Just a thought lol (hope mr bush doesnt see this thread) oops lemme shut up

btw gas is 3.09 for super in nyc
Old 04-11-06, 04:19 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

Methanol....(Methane)....not good for the stock engine.....little too volatile...

Ethanol on the other hand....works nice....Its used a bunch in Brazil.

Bush and the "big oil guys" will never allow it here...Not with all the "soccer moms" picking up their special little bundle joy in Hummers and Tahoes.
Old 04-11-06, 04:22 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

There was a somewhat simple solution created earlier....but no-one would participate in it, cause getting everyone to do it would be hard. Well here it is....boycott from some specific gas stations. If everyone stops going to a certain gas station in our entire nation, that company will feel a hard hit in their pockets, they will in turn drop their prices, causing others to follow in suite in order to keep sales. I read this a while back, and i think it would be a good idea, only problem how to get everyone to do this.....
Old 04-11-06, 04:25 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

its 295 for regular by my house

The state makes more money via Taxes so I dont expect ours to go down any time soon.
Old 04-11-06, 04:30 PM
SC3005SPD1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by neuro4you@
Methanol....(Methane)....not good for the stock engine.....little too volatile...

Bush and the "big oil guys" will never allow it here...Not with all the "soccer moms" picking up their special little bundle joy in Hummers and Tahoes.
Oh ok so but yea ethanol is mixed in gas = gasohol which is usually 10% ethanol. But would a car run PURELY on ethanol? BTW ethanol is bacially drinking alcohol. Then next up is Isopropanol which is just rubbing alcohol.

As for the soccer moms..... milf! lol jk

Btw is me or does it seem like were gettin less and less gas mileage? Im fillin up more and more and driving the same way. Something aint right
Old 04-11-06, 04:30 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

There was a somewhat simple solution created earlier....but no-one would participate in it, cause getting everyone to do it would be hard. Well here it is....boycott from some specific gas stations. If everyone stops going to a certain gas station in our entire nation, that company will feel a hard hit in their pockets, they will in turn drop their prices, causing others to follow in suite in order to keep sales. I read this a while back, and i think it would be a good idea, only problem how to get everyone to do this.....
He's right...if you only buy from the little guys...not...Shell, Hess, Exxon, Bp/Amoco, Mobile, only buy American....Marathon, Thortons, Citco...it will force the biggies to drop prices...

Its hard, but would work if even 35% of people did this. Also....trade in the Hummers and Excursions...
Old 04-11-06, 04:34 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Btw is me or does it seem like were gettin less and less gas mileage? Im fillin up more and more and driving the same way. Something aint right
I've thought that too.....quality has gone down maybe???

The Gas price thing just plain bugs me!!
My boat takes 250 gallons "premium"....at 1 mpg avg. per motor....that's going to suck!!!
plus figure 35-50cents higher price on the water.
Old 04-11-06, 04:35 PM
SC3005SPD1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jewtheist
That would be a good idea but no one is gonna be consistent about it. I usually go to exxon and i try to stick with that gas, and they are the most expensive. The thing is that we needa change from using oil from those countries and use alternatives. The hybrids are a start but i read that bush has his hand in that too so if we go hybrid him and his buddies still get money!!! Ima start reading up on these nascar guys and their engines and running on alcohol and see what I can come up with.

Reports say prices are gonna go up this summer.
Old 04-11-06, 04:37 PM
SC3005SPD1
Lead Lap

My boat takes 250 gallons "premium"....at 1 mpg avg. per motor....that's going to suck!!!
damn betta keep the boat docked and wash it every now and then. lol this is getting crazy. I have to drive to georgia, i dont even wanna know how much its gonna cost in gas alone
Old 04-11-06, 07:09 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

damn betta keep the boat docked and wash it every now and then
Yea...I filled it 4 times last year....that was huge....If it goes up this year all crazy...I'll sell it.
Old 04-11-06, 11:15 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SC3005SPD1
Oh ok so but yea ethanol is mixed in gas = gasohol which is usually 10% ethanol. But would a car run PURELY on ethanol? BTW ethanol is bacially drinking alcohol. Then next up is Isopropanol which is just rubbing alcohol.
Everyone kicked up a stink here in Australia about Ethanol being added to petrol being delivered here in Australia. And these fuel prices aren't looking like they're gonna come down anytime soon Stupid $1.45/L for 98RON fuel... gah!
Old 04-12-06, 03:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

First of all, this has little to do with Bush. Gas prices are set primarily by supply and demand. Demand all over the world.....in many places beyond Bush's control like in China and India....is simply skyrocketing, and there is little we can do about the demand issue, except for all of us to just drive a little less or get more efficient vehicles.

And as far as " soccer moms " in big SUV's go, there is a reason why they drive these large vehicles in spite of high...and climbing.....gas prices. And it is just what you point out....that little " bundle of joy " there in the child seat. The mother's protective instinct to surround her child......and herself.........with as much vehicle and as much metal as possible for crash protection. This, and the fact that because of the EPA and gas mileage regulations, TRUE full-size cars and wagons went out in the late 1970's, leaving large SUV's to essentially take their place. Even today's RWD " full-size" cars like the Crown Victoria and Town Car are no bigger than 60's-70's vintage mid-sized cars.

( In fact, speaking of large SUV's, I plan to review a new Tahoe this afternoon )
Old 04-12-06, 09:57 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

If you guys stop buying hair gel, lattes, designer boxer shorts and having 'stylists' cut your hair (vs. a barber) you'd have TONS more cash for gas.
Old 04-12-06, 10:40 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OMG is that funny! You're crying about gas prices and pointing your finger at Bush (who has nothing to do with gas prices) while complaining about how expensive it's gonna be to fill your yacht up. LOL! You poor thing. That must really be hurting.
Old 04-12-06, 10:52 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BTW that email chain about boycotting Exxon-Mobil to "force" lower prices will never work in a million years, and that same thing gets circulated every summer once gas prices start to go up. The fundamental flaw is that you're not changing net demand. If you boycott all gas on Thursday, then that'll just be balanced out by a surge in demand on Wednesday and Friday. Nothing changes. And if you boycott one specific company, demand surges at other companies. So E-M lowers their prices, but why does that mean that other companies have to also, when people are lining up on the streets to get gas from them when they're not E-M. Localized demand at other companies surges, so they can raise their prices. Eventually E-M would lower their prices enough to lure people back over and break the boycott. But since overall demand never changes, the overall price at the pumps won't either.

It's just pointless. If you want to get lower gas prices you need either hugely increased supply, or much lower demand. Get more fuel efficient cars, drive less, develop alternate energy source cars, stop filling yachts that need 250 gallons of premium and get 0.5 mpg overall (LOL!!!)

Quick Reply: Rediculous GAS PRICES!! solution?