Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Honda V6/V8 engines in development??

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-06, 09:30 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts
Default New Honda V6/V8 engines in development??

Found on Acura forum.

Honda is working on a new motor to replace the old J series motor, it will be chain driven vs current timing belt driven, with direct injection and iVTEC DOHC configuration with few diff engine sizes. V8 is in the works for the RL. Next generation TL should have over 320HP from a 3.5L DOHC iVTEC from what my engineering buddies tell me.

So I think Honda's relative inattention to the J-series V6 engines is probably a good sign that something all-new is in fact on the way. The trends and technologies right now are definitely favoring DOHC dual-VVT setups which gives independent control over intake and exhaust cams, and allows you to better optimize emissions control, fuel economy, and power. i-VTEC would be a given by definition, and direct injection vs the current port injection setups would be logical too. Using a DOHC setup allows you to clear out more space in the heads especially directly overhead of the cylinder which can make way for a center mounted spark plug and also center mounted fuel injectors.
Old 04-10-06, 09:40 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by magneto112
Found on Acura forum.

Yeah I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 04-11-06, 12:12 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Honda is very secretive when it comes to future plans. It's both surprising and fustrating. Surprising because cool stuff happens, but fustrating because it seems to take forever for Honda to get from the thinking board to the actual production.
Old 04-11-06, 05:54 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

finally, but im not expecting this until 08-09 model years, TL still has a while to go before a redesign (came out in 04 model year). Really needs to be RWD or SH-AWD this time
Old 04-11-06, 06:13 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
finally, but im not expecting this until 08-09 model years, TL still has a while to go before a redesign (came out in 04 model year). Really needs to be RWD or SH-AWD this time
One of the rumors I've heard was that the new TL will indeed get the SH-AWD. Given Acuras 5 year run it probably won't come out until 2008 as a2009 model though, unless they retrofit it into the current TL which I doubt they will. The other rumor I'm hearing is that the redesigned TSX will get the 2.4L I4 Turbo engine that the RDX will get or some form of it. Too me that is great news. The TSX is the perfect car for the turbocharged engine.

As for the Honda developing a new V6 and V8? Well, we all know they do need a V8. If they really are building it that is good news. For the V6, I have always said the J series engine is approaching 10 years now since it came out in 1997 as a 1998 model. Honda has had 10+ year engine runs, but around that time is when they make a change. The time is about right for them to bring out a new V6 series engine.
Old 04-11-06, 10:30 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

Even if they were not going to go V8, a turbocharged RL would also be nice. I just never understood Honda...all that technology and zero in the power department.
Old 04-11-06, 06:29 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL, that was a clip from my post at V6Performance.net, and the quote about the new engines was from BlackBIRDVQ, who is an Acura tech / Maxima owner that posts at Maxima.org

Here's my original write-up, along with credit to the proper person: http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...ad.php?t=71356

edit: nice. yep he just completely jacked it and didn't even leave so much as a link to the source, or even name credit for the authors. jackass....

http://www.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336424

Last edited by SteVTEC; 04-11-06 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-11-06, 06:40 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
LOL, that was a clip from my post at V6Performance.net, and the quote about the new engines was from BlackBIRDVQ, who is an Acura tech / Maxima owner that posts at Maxima.org

Here's my original write-up, along with credit to the proper person: http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...ad.php?t=71356

edit: nice. yep he just completely jacked it and didn't even leave so much as a link to the source, or even name credit for the authors. jackass....

http://www.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336424
Looking at the forum that jacked it, I am not 1 bit surprised

Old 04-12-06, 04:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

If Acura DOES give the RL a V8, will you guys THEN give this superb car the credit it deserves?
Old 04-12-06, 04:57 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If Acura DOES give the RL a V8, will you guys THEN give this superb car the credit it deserves?
Honestly, I would as I do now. However, I doubt many of the critics will care. They will say it still doesn't have the prestige since it is an Acura, and it is still too expensive for an Acura and against the competition like the GS430/GS460. Now that the GS350 is coming out, I kind of have to agree about the price since the GS350 probaly will be cheaper and still have over 300+ HP. I do like the RL and wouldn't mind owning one, but the competition is getting real tight even for Lexus. There are so many good choices out there.
Old 04-12-06, 07:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Honestly, I would as I do now. However, I doubt many of the critics will care. They will say it still doesn't have the prestige since it is an Acura, and it is still too expensive for an Acura and against the competition like the GS430/GS460. Now that the GS350 is coming out, I kind of have to agree about the price since the GS350 probaly will be cheaper and still have over 300+ HP. I do like the RL and wouldn't mind owning one, but the competition is getting real tight even for Lexus. There are so many good choices out there.
The GS430 / 460, while a superb car ( there is no arguement about that ) does not ( as yet ) have an AWD option like the RL. That might not be a big deal in the Sun Belt, but further north in foul-weather areas it might be a different story.