Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

$3+ a gallon gas....anyone thinking of dumping their 250?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-06, 03:49 PM
Kermee
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by linh811
The tax laws are soo whacko... I'm wondering what's stoping me from putting an ad and my office phone number on the bikes and writing them all off as marketing expenses??
In all seriousness, absolutely nothing.

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 04-10-06, 03:50 PM
linh811
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kermee
In all seriousness, absolutely nothing.

Cheers,
Kermee
That's reassuring, because that's exactly what I did last year . Still waiting for the IRS to come lock me up
Old 04-10-06, 03:54 PM
Kermee
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by linh811
That's reassuring, because that's exactly what I did last year . Still waiting for the IRS to come lock me up
Doubt it. Report came out that the IRS are auditing more folks this year receiving W-2's than those running their own businesses or self-employed. Why? Not sure.

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 04-10-06, 04:54 PM
Langdell
Driver

Originally Posted by bagwell
I CAN afford it - I factored in gas prices going to 2.50 not 3+; I just hate paying the oil companies that kind of money. I was assuming gas prices would hold steady at around $2 but have gone thru the roof.....and once oil companies know they can charge $3 a gallon with absolutely no repercussons, they'll never ever lower the prices.
Your original post made it sound more like a financial issue, but this sounds like you're talking more about a matter of principle (i.e., whom you are paying your money to). If you have a moral issue with paying more money to oil companies, that's one thing, and you can do what you want about it. If the issue is financial, though, you are not likely to save money when you factor in the depreciation hit of selling your IS so soon + the extra money you pay for the fact that the Prius is a hybrid.

BTW, part of the reason gas prices are spiking right now is that we are heading into the summer driving season. Gas prices always rise sharply this time of year and drop in the fall.
Old 04-10-06, 05:43 PM
Lem144
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Langdell
Your original post made it sound more like a financial issue, but this sounds like you're talking more about a matter of principle (i.e., whom you are paying your money to). If you have a moral issue with paying more money to oil companies, that's one thing, and you can do what you want about it. If the issue is financial, though, you are not likely to save money when you factor in the depreciation hit of selling your IS so soon + the extra money you pay for the fact that the Prius is a hybrid.

BTW, part of the reason gas prices are spiking right now is that we are heading into the summer driving season. Gas prices always rise sharply this time of year and drop in the fall.
Except when you get a nice big fat hurricane or two in the Gulf in Sept.
Old 04-10-06, 05:59 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
and i still find it stupid when any american complains about gas prices, take a stroll down It Couldve Been Worse Blvd, youll see europe to the left. This complaint coming from texas is even more funny, Texas is dirt cheap to live in vs east and west coast.
oh its dirt cheap in Texas huh? afraid not.....

http://www.gasbuddy.com/gb_gastemperaturemap.aspx

Last edited by bagwell; 04-10-06 at 06:05 PM.
Old 04-10-06, 06:32 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

How old is that map? Prices in Tampa will be at $3.00 per gallon by the weekend. They are already in the upper $2.90's on average......
Old 04-10-06, 06:33 PM
IS350_PHIL
Pole Position

bagwell - I think he was talking about overall cost of living not gas prices...
Old 04-10-06, 06:43 PM
casey225
Pole Position

I am not surprised that gas is $3/gal., what I am surprised about is that it took this long to reach that point. Immediately after Katrina hit last year, a statistic was published that consumption of gasoline did not drop significantly until it reached $3/gal, so, I figured we would be paying that long before now.

Another interesting fact is that with all the gas shortages, the major oil companies posted record profits .
Old 04-10-06, 06:46 PM
IS350_PHIL
Pole Position

Originally Posted by casey225
Another interesting fact is that with all the gas shortages, the major oil companies posted record profits .
Funny how that worked out, aint it?
Old 04-10-06, 07:09 PM
Lem144
Intermediate

oh its dirt cheap in Texas huh? afraid not.....

http://www.gasbuddy.com/gb_gastemperaturemap.aspx
Im glad I'm in eastern MA. for some reason is not too bad here.
Old 04-10-06, 07:11 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

oh its dirt cheap in Texas huh? afraid not....
go buy a house in cali, go own a car in cali, go pay income tax in cali, go pay gas in cali, i said texas is cheaper overall. Again americans have no right or are in any position to whine about gas prices. I suggest appreciating how cheap it is to live in Texas or you can walk down It Coulda Been Worse Blvd, and youll see West coast on the left and East coast on the right
Old 04-10-06, 07:20 PM
LexFather

No offense but if we start complaining about gas, maybe a luxury car isn't the best option. The incredible thing is Lexus cars/SUVs are near or the most fuel efficient in class.

I avg 20-21 MPG in my AWD RX

Old 04-10-06, 07:31 PM
paeko73
Pole Position

With premium gas at $3 in Houston I'm beginning to think I made the wrong choice in getting the IS250. I'm contacting several Toyota dealers about a Prius....anyone else thinking the same?

[I'm assuming anyone with a 350 doesn't care too much about the price of gas or MPG so this thread shouldn't concern them]
How about the newly arrived TOYOTA YARIS? I'll buy you 2 Yaris' and take your IS250.
Old 04-10-06, 07:42 PM
NotFatBoy
Pole Position

I CAN afford it - I factored in gas prices going to 2.50 not 3+; I just hate paying the oil companies that kind of money. I was assuming gas prices would hold steady at around $2 but have gone thru the roof.....and once oil companies know they can charge $3 a gallon with absolutely no repercussons, they'll never ever lower the prices.
this is pretty laughable... i dont even know where to begin. obviously you know nothing about oil prices, futures, and the cost of gas. wow

if you cant afford to drop $50 in the tank every couple of days you shouldnt have bought the car

finally, if you sell the car, get on a waiting list for a prius, pay the premium on the prius and take the hit on the lex, you are hardly going to come out on top.

make a simple excel spreadsheet and you will see that at $3 a gallon, it will take years to recoup the $$$ saved by switching to a hybrid.

simply not worth it. unless you want to say you own a hybrid and help the environment. lol.

Quick Reply: $3+ a gallon gas....anyone thinking of dumping their 250?