Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Toyota Corolla Spy Photos(Update pg. 2)

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-06, 06:31 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
Default New Toyota Corolla Spy Photos(Update pg. 2)

by Hans G. Lehmann
Copyright by Lehmann Photo-Syndication
04-10-2006

Next Corolla on Ice

In 2006 Toyota will release the replacement for the current world best seller Corolla. Disguised prototypes of the new model have already been sighted in various places of the world.

The next generation Corolla will be an evolution of the present model, and it is sitting on Toyota’s recently developed 300N/MC platform. The Corolla will be furthermore the base for a number of new models by Toyota, including the next RAV4, the Avensis and Previa.

The Corolla will get also a newly developed range of direct-injection petrol engines and a selection of fresh diesels. The car will again be available as a three and five door model, while a new Verso will not be out before another four years time.

source : japanesecarfans
Old 04-10-06, 08:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Well, here we go again....bras, taped body panels, etc.......the same old nonsense, year after year. Won't car manufacturers EVER learn?

Anyhow, thanks for posting, Andrew. Good find. At least it gives us SOME idea of what it will look like....and the Corolla is, of course, an ever-popular car even if it is not the epitome of automotive excitement.
Old 04-10-06, 08:53 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

what's wrong with all the bras and tape? it's beyond an initial prototype, they never ask you to take pics and pay attention to them to begin with

anyway, where is the trunk?!
Old 04-10-06, 08:56 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Looks like a European version of the Corolla. I highly doubt we would get that. Already have the Yaris hatchback and xA, xB.
Old 04-10-06, 08:59 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isn't the 5 door Corolla the Matrix in the US?
Old 04-10-06, 09:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
what's wrong with all the bras and tape? it's beyond an initial prototype, they never ask you to take pics and pay attention to them to begin with

anyway, where is the trunk?!
Just one of my pet peeves, Henry. I'm a mature person with a tremendous amount of paitience, but not when it comes to playing hide-and-go-seek games.
My philosophy is if you going to see it sooner or later...why not sooner? ( That's why I complemented Andrew so much for getting that undisguised shot of the new Z06 on CL before Chevy officially pulled the wraps off of it at the Detroit show )

As far as the trunk goes, it's obviously a hatchback.......you can tell that even through the B.S. disguises.
Old 04-10-06, 09:03 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
Isn't the 5 door Corolla the Matrix in the US?
As far as I know it is not. I dont even think they sell teh Matrix in Europe(could be wrong though). But this is the 5-door Corolla. Not sure how up to date this pic is.

Old 04-10-06, 09:04 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Just one of my pet peeves, Henry. I'm a mature person with a tremendous amount of paitience, but not when it comes to playing hide-and-go-seek games.
My philosophy is if you going to see it sooner or later...why not sooner? ( That's why I complemented Andrew so much for getting that undisguised shot of the new Z06 on CL before Chevy officially pulled the wraps off of it at the Detroit show )

As far as the trunk goes, it's obviously a hatchback.......you can tell that even through the B.S. disguises.

I agree. What difference does it make? The designs are going to be released and possibly copied anyway, so why delay the inevitable? I still want to know that that weird coupe was testing at the Nurburgring a while back... and also what that convertible we saw recently is.
Old 04-10-06, 09:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by magneto112
Looks like a European version of the Corolla. I highly doubt we would get that. Already have the Yaris hatchback and xA, xB.

Maybe, mag........maybe not. Americans are once again buying hatchbacks. Don't forget, Dodge is replacing the 2 and 4-door Neon sedans with a 5-door hatchback...the Caliber. The Chevy Malibu also has a 5-door version...the Maxx. It looks like automakers are learning what I ( and many others ) have said for years...there is no reason why hatchbacks cannot sell in the American market. More and more of them are being introduced...and while I cannot prove it as a fact, I strongly believe Mercedes and BMW both made a mistake yanking the C230 and 3-series hatchbacks from our shores. In fact, look at the high demand and short supply for the hatchback Mini Cooper....the car that technically replaced the 318i.
Old 04-10-06, 09:18 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i thought part of the reason is that the car is indeed not finished and those tapes and bras are holding stuff together (rather than covering the emblems)?
Old 04-10-06, 09:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
i thought part of the reason is that the car is indeed not finished and those tapes and bras are holding stuff together (rather than covering the emblems)?
Toyota's quality control is a little better than that.
Now, if that were Renault or a Fiat...................
Old 04-10-06, 09:43 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRupp
I agree. What difference does it make? The designs are going to be released and possibly copied anyway, so why delay the inevitable? I still want to know that that weird coupe was testing at the Nurburgring a while back... and also what that convertible we saw recently is.
it makes huge difference because Toyota needs to sell about 700,000 Corollas between now and December when new Corolla will be shown.... Who would buy current model if they show something much better (and it will be).

p.s. Matrix is about as close to Corolla Hatch as possible... They sell around 120,000 per year in the states, not bad.
Old 04-10-06, 09:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
it makes huge difference because Toyota needs to sell about 700,000 Corollas between now and December when new Corolla will be shown.... Who would buy current model if they show something much better (and it will be).

p.s. Matrix is about as close to Corolla Hatch as possible... They sell around 120,000 per year in the states, not bad.
Yep.............the Matrix DOES sell. One of the last new cars that I helped someone find and buy was a bright red one. And don't forget its twin brother...the Pontiac Vibe. In my book the two totals should be counted together even though they are marketed by 2 different auto manufacturers...they are in fact the same vehicle.
However, an interesting comparison comes up betwen the Matrix and a Corolla hatchback. The likely buyers' median age for a Corolla hatchback, though somewhat younger than that of the Corolla 4-door sedan, would still in all likelihood be older than that of the Matrix...though I have seen more than one person in their 40's take a new Matrix home.

Another group buying the Matrix , at least from what I have seen, is people of all ages who are initially attracted to the Scion xA and xB hatchbacks' low price but are put off by those center-mount gauges....their natural alternative is, of course, the Matrix. And the Matrix, for a little more money, unlike the Scions, offers AWD as well, though AWD models are sometimes hard to find.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-10-06 at 09:59 AM.
Old 04-10-06, 01:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Toyota's quality control is a little better than that.
Now, if that were Renault or a Fiat...................
haha in that case we agree, if the car is done, just show it
Old 04-10-06, 01:30 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Yep.............the Matrix DOES sell. One of the last new cars that I helped someone find and buy was a bright red one. And don't forget its twin brother...the Pontiac Vibe. In my book the two totals should be counted together even though they are marketed by 2 different auto manufacturers...they are in fact the same vehicle.
However, an interesting comparison comes up betwen the Matrix and a Corolla hatchback. The likely buyers' median age for a Corolla hatchback, though somewhat younger than that of the Corolla 4-door sedan, would still in all likelihood be older than that of the Matrix...though I have seen more than one person in their 40's take a new Matrix home.

Another group buying the Matrix , at least from what I have seen, is people of all ages who are initially attracted to the Scion xA and xB hatchbacks' low price but are put off by those center-mount gauges....their natural alternative is, of course, the Matrix. And the Matrix, for a little more money, unlike the Scions, offers AWD as well, though AWD models are sometimes hard to find.
p.s. Matrix is based on previous gen Corolla Verso - small MPV, very similar to Mazda 5 (which copied a lot of things from new gen Corolla Verso).

I agree, Matrix is car for new families and active young people... Which is who is buying Corolla Verso in Europe as well...

Quick Reply: New Toyota Corolla Spy Photos(Update pg. 2)