Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota to outsource redesign to Fuji Heavy

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-06, 01:09 PM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyota to outsource redesign to Fuji Heavy

TOKYO: Toyota Motor Corp plans to outsource the full redesign of an existing Toyota model to Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd, the maker of Subaru cars, the Nihon Keizai business daily reported on Wednesday.

The move comes as the world's second-largest auto maker faces severe personnel shortages amid rapid expansion of its business, the newspaper said.

The deal would also allow Fuji Heavy, now owned 8.7 percent by Toyota, to make better use of resources after it dissolved its capital ties with General Motors Corp last month, the report said.

The vehicle to be remodeled by Fuji Heavy has yet to be decided, but a sporty subcompact is a likely candidate, it added. A Toyota spokeswoman said Toyota and Fuji Heavy are exploring cooperation in development and production
Old 04-09-06, 02:54 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i like sporty subcompacts.

especially that one they call the Impreza..

hurray for Toyota for recognizing Subaru's capabilities in this segment and using it to their benefit
Old 04-09-06, 03:26 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Bring back the Celica in AWD and a beefy motor to run with WRX and EVO's.
Old 04-10-06, 12:14 AM
LexFather

Suburu and Mazda are my fav non luxury brands. I would love a Toyota built with Subie know how.

Old 04-10-06, 03:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Suburu and Mazda are my fav non luxury brands. I would love a Toyota built with Subie know how.
Toyota engine/transmission, Subaru AWD system, and Mazda chassis...now THERE is a combination. .....................OK, maybe stick in BMW steering.
Old 04-10-06, 06:01 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
, well actually I don't like Subie styling on any of their cars but the WRX is . I love the styling of all the Mazda sedans & hatchbacks, Mazda's are fun to drive
Old 04-10-06, 06:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
, well actually I don't like Subie styling on any of their cars but the WRX is . I love the styling of all the Mazda sedans & hatchbacks, Mazda's are fun to drive
Yes, Mazdas handle well and have ideal weight distribution.....but in general they ride stiffly. As with many other vehicles, you pay a price in ride comfort for that responsiveness and agility.

BMW, perhaps more any other brand, has prety much gotten the ride-handling compromise down pat....even the Chris Bangle ones.

Anyhow we got off-topic a little......Toyota depending on Subaru for outsourcing. The biggest barrier that I can see, though, is the fact that the excellent Subaru AWD systems are designed for low-mounted horizontal flat-4's and flat-6's.....engine designs that Toyota just is not into.
Old 04-10-06, 09:04 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Subaru to redesign??? All I can say is holy crap!

I hate the looks of every Subaru. They may be reliable and great to drive, Subarus are severly
lacking in the styling department. Toyota should let the folks at Calty design all their cars.
Old 04-10-06, 09:07 AM
Koma

Not a fan of the current Subaru styling.
Toyota needs some AWD in the bloodline though. They are very much lacking in this department.