Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

A&E Show: King of Cars

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-06, 09:36 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
Default A&E Show: King of Cars

Has anyone seen this show on A&E?? Its very interesting and somewhat funny and crazy. It follows this guy Chop who owns a huge multibrand dealership in Las Vegas(supposidly one of the largest in the nation, sells the most cars etc etc). Anyway this guy does anything and everything to sell cars and to stay on top. He keeps it interesting with the customers by bringing in clowns for the kids, events such as dunk the salesman if they sell a car that day, and he even has some of the salesmen dress up as Genie's and big breasted woman.

I noticed some of the deals they are making. CRAZY HIGH as well. Oh well

http://www.aetv.com/kingofcars/king_about.jsp
Old 04-09-06, 09:43 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Didnt really like the show, I guess I was expecting something different, like people with exotic cars, not watching car salesmen all day.
Old 04-09-06, 09:50 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

The thing I noticed is that way to many cars have big chrome rims. to ghetto fab for me.
Old 04-09-06, 09:58 AM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw the commercial clip at the dealership and I want to watch it. I'm always interested in seeing what else goes on out there. Maybe it's only interesting to salespeople?
Old 06-26-06, 01:01 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the intro to the show is the best part !! "I got them low prices cause i chop chop em" LOL
Old 06-26-06, 01:10 PM
BlkGS3
Lexus Champion

I just came back from Vegas and while I was in the hotel I watched on of their commercials... Deal God that thing is cheezy
Old 06-26-06, 01:27 PM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good show i really like it. I also noticed the really high car notes people pay on really cheap cars.
Old 06-26-06, 02:23 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I like the show. The guy knows how to treat his employees

Jonny
Old 06-26-06, 02:58 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've see it too. A little too corny for me. I like that he does different things to make the sale but he comes off as this big kingpin, sort of inflating his ego. Like he needs the self promotion to feel okay about himself. Now that I read he inherited the business, my first impression appears correct....a big goofball who ran into a good situation. Reminds me of rappers who claim be gansta's from the streets but actually come from a normal household. Just playing a role. I aplaud him for capitalizing on it though. I'm sure his parents had no idea he would take it this way.
Old 06-26-06, 03:10 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

I watched this show maybe 2 or 3 times after I made this thread way back when, and I had a change of heart. I think the show is really wack and I would never want to work for him. It was interesting at first, but I just cant get down with his antics or personality (is it an act??). Honestly as a customer all that corny stuff would turn me away. Plus the fact that a majority of the cars he sells has DUB rims and ugly fender vents.
Old 06-26-06, 05:25 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by genearch
Bumped into this today...

Josh Towbin's Wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_Towbin

Interesting to follow some of the links at the bottom. I'm a bit disenchanted, I thought he did this all on his own and he makes references "the bosses", but should likely be saying "my parents"

Either way.. the show is entertaining..
gotta love the "internet allegations"
Old 06-26-06, 07:07 PM
LexFather

After seeing the commercials and ads, I avoid like the plauge.

It seemed like some ego centered show and well, that one with the dude "Castro" is more than enough, I can't stomach that show either.

If anyone is going to have ego, its me

Old 06-27-06, 06:45 AM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Default car sales

the reason for high notes on cheap cars is the credit these people carry, and negative equity in trades. The financial instutions the stealership uses sometimes charges 2-5k just to buy the deal/customer. Be prepared when you buy a car, it could get ugly. The show is decent at best.
Old 06-27-06, 09:42 AM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I TIVO the show and watch it when I can. It is pretty interesting to me. What gets me is how many people watch how crazy they are on their info-commercials and want to go buy a car from that crazy bunch. I am more into the Lexus way of buying a car. Calm with no pressure. If you want the car, here it is. He does really seem to care for his employee's which is cool. I just have a hard time believing that his way of promoting and selling would work anywhere else but Vegas.
Old 06-27-06, 10:18 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Saw two episodes... the show does a good job of perpetuating the reputation of car salespeople as lying, cheating know-nothings. No way I would ever buy a car from a place like that.

The problem with the show is once you've seen an episode you can pretty much guess what the other episodes will be like; taking down the new "ups" on the lot for as much money as possible.

Unique Whips is no better. Will is an egomaniac. He makes money by getting much of the product he puts on cars sponsored (because the cars are owned by high-profile celebrities) in exchange for exposure. Then he charges the celebrities a pretty penny for the parts and labor, pocketing the entire amount. I can't believe Pirelli jumped in bed with this dude...

Quick Reply: A&E Show: King of Cars