Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Autobild V8 Luxury Car Comparison: A6 4.2 vs 540i vs E500 vs GS430

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-06, 08:39 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Autobild V8 Luxury Car Comparison: A6 4.2 vs 540i vs E500 vs GS430

Results:
1st Place: Mercedes E500 (483 / 600)
2nd Place(tie): Audi A6 4.2 / BMW 540i (476 / 600)
3rd Place: Lexus GS430 (461 / 600)

Performance:
Audi A6 4.2: AWD, 0-100 km/h = 6.1 seconds, 6-Speed A/T
BMW 540i: RWD, 0-100 km/h = 6.1 seconds, 6-Speed A/T
Lexus GS430: RWD, 0-100 km/h = 6.7 seconds, 6-Speed A/T
Mercedes E500: RWD, 0-100 km/h = 6.0 seconds, 7Gtronic A/T

For 99% of Europeans, these cars will remain a dream, as they are simply too expensive, thirsty and expensive to own and maintain. Blame the price. And unusually, not Mercedes, but Audi this time. The only AWD car in this comparison costs a whooping € 60,900 - an expensive car with traction advantage.

For € 60.726, you can get a well-spec'd Mercedes E500, but it still lacks certain features which are standard in other markets. For instance, you have to pay extra for fully electric seats. Standard however are Airmatic, 4-Zone Climate Control and a 7Gtronic transmission. AWD costs € 2,320 extra (4Matic) and is only available with the old 5-speed automatic transmission. The BMW 540i comparatively costs € 52,200 and is pretty well stocked. However, you need to pay € 2,100 extra for the 6-speed automatic transmission. The BMW differentiates itself through exotic extra which the competition doesn't offer: Nightvision and a Head-Up-Display system offer extra safety.

Even the Lexus shouldn't be ashamed of itself at € 55,600 since it offers a good overall package. Xenonlights with Adaptive Cornering technology as well as Knee-airbags. The GS also has a Pre-Collision (like PRE-SAFE from MB) onboard.

Let's not talk about money. Whoever drives these cars has it, and lot's of it. The Mercedes has the biggest engine, with 5-liters. It also offers the most torque at 460 Nm (339 lb/ft) and with 306-horsepower, is the quickest in this bunch to 100 km/h. The 3-valve per cylinder engine is still impressive and has a hue of sovereign arrogance to it. No matter at what speed the engine is running, the engine has a good response and there's no shortage of power. Part of this is also credited to the 7Gtronic automatic transmission: lightning fast shifts, smooth as butter and precise - even professional shifters can't cope with its speed.

The Audi shines with almost similar performance, but it boasts 335-horsepower out of 4.2-liters engine cc. The difference when compared to the Mercedes is in the engine sound. The 5-valve per cylinder motor sounds aggressive and sporty - and these are not empty promises as the engine delivers indeed. Not enjoyable however, the fuel consumption. Like the BMW, the Audi needs the expensive Super Plus fuel.

The 5'er has 306-hp, like the Benz but from 4-liters. No wonder that there are "only" 390 Nm (287 lb/ft) of torque available. Do not underestimate the 5'er however. The V8 purrs nicely, even at the slightest touch of the pedal. It rev's even better and seems to have an excellent engine response. The automatic transmission operates smoothly as well. Interestingly though, the 5'er runs out of breath and lags behind the other two Germans in the dash to reaching its limited speed of 250 km/h (155 mph

The smallest muscles are shown from the Lexus: 283-horsepower. A weakling under the over-powered ones one might think, but the reality is different. The Lexus doesn't give that impression. Immediately noticeable is the low noise output of the engine when sitting inside the car (37 dB). Those who don't pay attention might accidentally leave the engine running at the gas station. Performance wise, it's no match for the German competition. But a 6.7 second 0-100 km/h is no reason to complain. And the 6-speed A/T transmission is also convincing.

On the inside, the Japanese car offers fat luxury. Materials and build quality appear to be top-notch. The GS is a little smaller than the Germans on the inside though, but is still a comfortable car. A problem might be the small trunk space of the Lexus, which compared to the Audi, BMW and Mercedes is on average smaller by 100 liters.

The adaptive Lexus suspension offers 1st class comfort. Only at highspeed Autobahn cruises does the suspension become a little too hard and increase the road noise. Wind noises are also pretty high compared to the competition - which is probably the fault of the quiet engine.

In terms of safety, the Lexus is impressive. The brakes are responsive. If there's one thing to criticize, it's the steering feel. Although responsive in terms of speed, there is little feedback. The driver in you feels abandoned.

Mercedes generally promotes comfort in the E-Class, without sacrificing safety and agility. The steering feel is relaxed but communicative. The Airmatic suspension is also worthy of praise. Those who require a balance between comfort and sport will love the E-Class suspension. In auto mode, the suspension quickly changes the setup depending on road conditions. Rarely was travelling that enjoyable. Part of that wonderful ride is the interior space, a wonderful cockpit and excellent safety features. The Mercedes ESP is also very reactive on snow or icy roads.

The Audi is also impressive from a driving POV. Although its ESP is a little more annoying than others, the AWD advantage of the Audi helps it master slippery conditions. The steering feel is fantastic, the suspension decent and the interior space more than adequate. The front suspension rattles sometimes on rough roads, and the A6 cannot touch the E500 for comfort - even with the optional air suspension like in our testcar.

BMW, like Lexus, goes for steel as the material of choice for their suspension springs - and it drives the car pretty good on most road conditions. Not as good as the Mercedes, but better than the Audi or even the Lexus. Thankfully, the Bavarians do not loose the sportiness through using such a setup. The steering feel is wonderfully direct and the handling is easy and predictable - just as expected on a BMW. The interior decent and spacious, although we liked the previous versions cockpit design much better. The materials and the build quality appear decent.

There is no loser amongst these cars. The Mercedes wins because of its balance, the fantastic comfort and the nice V8.

Not far behind, Audi and BMW share 2nd place. Those who like sportiness and a decent comfort feel are better served with the Audi. Those who want a sporty cruiser are best served with the BMW. The Lexus is very convincing with a quiet engine and good standard equipment - but it lacks the smaller important details.
Old 04-08-06, 08:43 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting read. Daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn!!! Do you guys see how close those fools are driving the AUdi and Bimmer side by side?
Old 04-08-06, 08:45 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

By the way... I absolutely LOVE the A6 from every angle but the front. That H U G E gaping grille is wickety-whack!
Old 04-08-06, 09:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by genearch
I just glanced over the article... the first thing that comes to mind is why did they test the 540i the 550 has been available for about a year and brings an additional 50+ hp & torque to the table.
that's what i was about to say. and i thought it's 545i?
Old 04-08-06, 10:13 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

when GS460 comes out it will kill them
Old 04-08-06, 10:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

It is... 540 must have been a mistake... the 545 was replaced by the 550i.

4TehNguyen, I don't see the GS460 "killing" any of the top three. The 550i is a very fast car and it will handle circles around the GS... Same goes for the Audi... and don't even get started comparing "other" models... Audi has the RS, MB has the AMG and BMW has the M that all quickly spell game over for the GS.
yeah, i was scratching my head so bad when i saw 540. how could they make that mistake.... (in europe they were still 545 not 540 right?)

and yeah, 460 will be fast, but imho it will probably be comparable to the 550 on the straight. but personally i still doubt about the handling
Old 04-08-06, 10:41 PM
timoc42
Lead Lap

The 540i is correct. although i cannot confirm with you whether this is an engine like the 545 but with smaller displacement or the old engine.

You guys are forgetting that this is in Europe, not in North America, where there is some slight differences.
Like in South east asia now, the 7 series, there's 730i, 740i and 750i. same thing for the 5 series.
Old 04-08-06, 10:47 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

They currently have a 540i for sale in Europe(as far as I can see on the BMW website) and as usual the 550i. But not sure why they chose to use the 540i. Probably because it will so heavily outpower the competition here.
Old 04-08-06, 10:51 PM
timoc42
Lead Lap

Its a simple reason why they choose a smaller engine displacement. The cost.

Because over there, they tax you on how big your engine is, and how much CO2 you are emitting.
Not like the nice american laws, who only get stuck on a Gaz Guzzler tax when you buy, and no more 'penalty' on buying big engine cars.

For example, in Indonesia, you pay a 125% tax if your engine is above 3000cc. Thats why Lexus or Toyota still sells RX300, and we'll never see RX330 or RX350.
Same thing in Singapore or Malaysia.
Old 04-09-06, 05:52 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

It is... 540 must have been a mistake... the 545 was replaced by the 550i.

4TehNguyen, I don't see the GS460 "killing" any of the top three. The 550i is a very fast car and it will handle circles around the GS... Same goes for the Audi... and don't even get started comparing "other" models... Audi has the RS, MB has the AMG and BMW has the M that all quickly spell game over for the GS.
handle circles? It probably wont be able to catch it fast enough to handle circles around it... hehe.
Old 04-09-06, 06:59 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

a lexus losing in a german published magazine who da thunk it
Old 04-09-06, 07:03 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

It's a huge surprise they pick the E500, it's the worst handler among the 4 cars, & not faster compared to the other 3, until they upgrade the engine to the E550, probably later this year ?
Old 04-09-06, 09:08 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
It's a huge surprise they pick the E500, it's the worst handler among the 4 cars, & not faster compared to the other 3, until they upgrade the engine to the E550, probably later this year ?
well it is faster than other cars according to them... no matter what it looks like, lexus did well in this test. germans are very interesting when it comes to grading cars.
Old 04-09-06, 11:00 AM
LexFather

I like all 4 cars, seeing the GS lose in a German mag= no duh

IMO, the 5 is the only more more fun to drive. I know which one I would like to own. The E's selling point to me is its beauty and prestige. The A6 is too long for me and I am not a fan of the looks inside or out.

Thing is you simply cannot go wrong with ANY of these cars.

And KUDOS to Lexus for offereing the GS in Europe and continuing to elevate its status there.

Old 04-09-06, 01:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,639 Posts

No doubt there's German bias/favoritism in the article, but nevertheless, don't dismiss the review. In the land of autobahns, the Nurburgring road and driving tests that aren't a joke, German drivers LOVE cars that handle well, have great feel, and go fast. They like luxury also, but it's pretty much second to the performance unless you've got a chauffeur.

The GS *is* slower. It's steering *is* numb comparitively. And it *is* smaller inside and in the trunk. These are real negatives. Lexus turned the dial some from 'float boat' to 'performer' from the 2GS to the 3GS, but it isn't any serious threat to the German sports sedans. Don't forget, it is easily outsold by them EVEN IN THE U.S. It's really a niche vehicle, a very, very refined one, almost for someone who is afraid to go fast but likes the idea of having a powerful cushy car.

It will be interesting to see if Lexus does anything to the handling/steering on the GS460 (I doubt it). The GS450 has the rear active stabilizer but that's really just to offset the weight of the batteries.

If Lexus ever wants to outsell these German sports sedans (and I'm not sure it really does), it's doing great selling loads of RX's and high margin LS's), it's going to have to step up its game.

Quick Reply: Autobild V8 Luxury Car Comparison: A6 4.2 vs 540i vs E500 vs GS430