Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

American Media Pulls the Plug on MPH Magazine

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-06, 09:03 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Default American Media Pulls the Plug on MPH Magazine

Sad Lads: American Media Pulls the Plug on MPH Magazine
Date posted: 04-05-2006

DETROIT — American Media has shut the fledgling automotive magazine MPH, along with several other publications, including Celebrity Living Weekly, according to Advertising Age.

MPH, which took much of its fresh and sardonic voice from talented Automobile Magazine alumnus Eddie Alterman, was an experiment in a way to aim an auto publication at its young, male audience. Among the features in the mag and its Web site were "Backseat Betty," a series of interviews with scantily clad young women with bad driving records, and diaries of staffers' searches for filling stations that carry ethanol.

The loss of MPH, which has been likened by some of the auto blogs to "road kill," is a sign of the seismic shift going on in the publishing world as the shakeout between the Internet and traditional journalism continues. American Media is the parent of the National Enquirer, which is also being shaken up this week.

What this means to you: The death of MPH should be mourned by enthusiasts, since it brought a fresh perspective to the business. And it would be safe to say there were some fans out here in California
Old 04-06-06, 09:08 AM
LexFather

I am sad. they were HONEST. They had a cover story of the 300C SRT vs a Bentley and on the cover said "THE BIG KNOCKOFF". That took *****.

Their assesments were great, the pics were decent, they had some great comparisons.

I knew there was trouble when a couple months, you could get it for $1.99 instead of full price.

Sad

Old 04-06-06, 10:46 AM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I am sad. they were HONEST. They had a cover story of the 300C SRT vs a Bentley and on the cover said "THE BIG KNOCKOFF". That took *****.
Never saw the magazine, wish I did.

Funny you mention the knockoff. Just last weekend as I sat waiting for a light to change, my son asked if I like this car that was in the lane next to us and up a little. I had a good view of the side and rear of the car. I said yeah I looks nice...but its a Chrysler 300. Then I noticed the details..the exhaust and the wing emblem on the trunk had the letter B not Chrysler. I then told him its not a Chrysler but a Bentley...darn expensive car worth 10 Chryslers. And I thougth damn Chrysler is copying a Bentley...how blatant can you get.
Old 04-06-06, 11:20 AM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm definitely gonna miss this magazine. It truly was something different in a field where it's difficult to find a fresh opinion.

It'd be nice if someone else came along and picked it up, just as long as doesn't become another carbon-copy car rag from the usual giants.
Old 04-06-06, 01:24 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Yea I actually liked the mag too. Never bought it, but I read the online versions every now and then. Very entertaining reads.
Old 04-06-06, 01:27 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We never got that here but it sounds like a good mag.