Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is it really that hard to design a tailamp that works?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-06, 04:01 PM
LexFather

Lightbulb Is it really that hard to design a tailamp that works?

Being that I am the one that started this thread, I won't name basically the 3 car brands I noticed that seemingly can't get a tailamp to work as they'll cry I am bashing.

But I have noticed over the years, there are 3 luxury brands that can't keep a tailamp on if their life depended on it. And for the matter one of them can't design fog lamps either, one is always off or its so dim, not even sure why they have it. Also, I noticed this same brands HIDs don't work either.

IMO, its ridiulous and DANGEROUS when your car's tailamps or brakelamps or both don't work or some of the lights don't work etc etc.

I rarely, ever have notice a Lexus with this problem. And if it is 9 times outta 10 its an older 2ES 300.

This probably is a supplier issue, I doubt the car brand makes the bulbs. So how about not squeezing them so tight where they can produce a quality bulb.

I must say the most ridiuclous thing I saw was on the later year Saturn L-series. These idiots not only have the rear turn signal red like the brake signal but its located in the INSIDE of the light, towards to tag.

I nearly rear-ended one. The damn turn signal is in the TOTALLY WRONG place.

Old 04-04-06, 04:34 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think automakers try to become innovative and distinctive, and they forget the basics. This applies to a lot of things that failing automakers are doing...
Old 04-04-06, 04:51 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,314 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Actually the 2nd gen GS 98 - 00 have a problem with the upper outer bulbs in about 20% of the cars I see at night on the road. Looks like _o o_ . Drives me nuts.
Old 04-04-06, 05:24 PM
jhenty
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

volkswagon and audis always have a light out, all the time, almost every one of them. Bmw does as well (i have them so I know, not bashing) and I cant think of the third your thinking of right now. The vw/audis have the biggest problem with this though, mostly on jettas, beetles, and a4s. As for design, it is a pain when they blink red. It is proven that the human brain responds better to amber lighting which results in faster reaction times, that is why they should keep with the orange.
Old 04-04-06, 06:25 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

GM always has problems having both DRLs on. I always see them with only one DRL light working.

Lexus, has by far the best tail lights and head lights, IMO. The overall spread on the headlights is far superior that of MB and BMW. The horizontal spread is good too. I saw an LS430 and the head lights went out almost 30-50ft left and right.
Old 04-04-06, 06:25 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jhenty
volkswagon and audis always have a light out, all the time, almost every one of them. Bmw does as well (i have them so I know, not bashing) and I cant think of the third your thinking of right now. The vw/audis have the biggest problem with this though, mostly on jettas, beetles, and a4s. As for design, it is a pain when they blink red. It is proven that the human brain responds better to amber lighting which results in faster reaction times, that is why they should keep with the orange.
Well, a lot of cars are coming out with LED tail lights, with LED blinkers so that sort of makes up for it.
Old 04-04-06, 06:30 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 417 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by RX_330
GM always has problems having both DRLs on. I always see them with only one DRL light working.

Lexus, has by far the best tail lights and head lights, IMO. The overall spread on the headlights is far superior that of MB and BMW. The horizontal spread is good too. I saw an LS430 and the head lights went out almost 30-50ft left and right.
word. Every last suburban or Yukon out there has only one DRL lamp on.
Old 04-05-06, 12:10 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Actually the 2nd gen GS 98 - 00 have a problem with the upper outer bulbs in about 20% of the cars I see at night on the road. Looks like _o o_ . Drives me nuts.
werd. the GS lights annoys the crap out of me.
Old 04-05-06, 04:13 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Acura fogs don't work from factory. It's like having a nightlight on.
Old 04-05-06, 04:18 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Mike, you get too worked up about these small things!!!
Old 04-05-06, 07:25 AM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jhenty
I cant think of the third your thinking of right now.
I'm gonna guess Mercedes. I can't remember the last time I saw a Benz with properly functioning taillights... and living in Orange County I see them on a daily basis. At least half of all the Mercedes I see on the road for some reason have all three stop light locations lit up at all times. Now I don't mind seeing the occasional burnt out bulb, but it's just wrong watching a car quickly accelerate while the third brake light is fully lit.
Old 04-05-06, 07:37 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Richie
Mike, you get too worked up about these small things!!!
id be shook up if i nearly rear ended someone
Old 04-05-06, 08:50 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
dave, i thought the upper portion of the outter taillights only on when brake light is on? with normal parking light, it doesn't turn on?

anyway, i have said this before, but i think the prev gen camry (the early yrs with top and bottom portion of red) must have some problems coz' i keep on seeing blown bulbs in them on the street
Old 04-05-06, 09:30 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Leets
I'm gonna guess Mercedes. I can't remember the last time I saw a Benz with properly functioning taillights... and living in Orange County I see them on a daily basis. At least half of all the Mercedes I see on the road for some reason have all three stop light locations lit up at all times. Now I don't mind seeing the occasional burnt out bulb, but it's just wrong watching a car quickly accelerate while the third brake light is fully lit.
Our MBs never do that.
Old 04-05-06, 09:38 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Leets, are you sure they just didn't leave the rear fog light on? People do that all the time here

VW's apparently aren't very snug in the housing, so the bulbs get jostled around quite a bit and the constant impact blows out the filaments, is how it was explained to me. Same with the DRL's on the Chevy's. However, the taillights on the Trailblazers/Yukons etc is apparently the result of a bad circuitboard that controls it.

I agree with this though... I read a statistic before that only 40% of vehicles on the road have properly functioning brake/taillights. I see Ford Focuses ALL the time with no taillights, or blown out brake lights, etc.

Quick Reply: Is it really that hard to design a tailamp that works?