Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Gas Prices w/o Hurricanes

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-06, 11:45 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Prices w/o Hurricanes

Just curious, is everyone else ramping up like Cali? Premium at the good but not overpriced stations is around $2.90 a gallon here in silicon valley. $3+ a gallon for premium isn't hard to find. We aren't that far away from the highs during the big blows. What's everybody else got?
Old 04-02-06, 11:54 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

It's very close to that in Los Angeles. What the heck is going on?
Old 04-03-06, 01:27 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

yeah i have no idea, and i had to drive back and forth to LA this past weekend, damnit......

3.25 mid way at 198... ()*@%)(*%*#
Old 04-03-06, 05:11 AM
babyGS3
Lexus Champion

3.06 for premium here on Guam
Old 04-03-06, 05:14 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think the lowest premium gas price we had in 18 months was about $2.68 or so. We have ben near $3.00 for the last couple of weeks, and I think we should be over the $3.00 mark real soon
Old 04-03-06, 06:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Simple......the same old story; supply and demand. Open your wallets up a little more. Not only is oil use...and demand...going up all over the world, ( particularly in China and India ) but here in the U.S. we are coming out of the winter supressed-driving season, driving more miles now with warmer temperatures, and placing more of a demand on still-limited supplies. This why it is imperative that the supply be kept up if we are going to drive as many miles as we want....I personally am in favor of opening up the Alaska drilling zones, building more refineries, and of course, get cracking on alternate fuels like alcohol, propane, diesel, etc......
Old 04-03-06, 06:30 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

$3.03 this morning for 93 Octane, I only put in 2 gallons worth in the hopes that the price falls a bit before I need to drive again
Old 04-03-06, 06:54 AM
GSXLEX
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We had a mild winter here in the NE particularly NJ and gas prices rose steadily anyway..Im sick of excuses..Big oil should keep it simple..

Q...Why are gas prices going up??
A...Because we are greedy bastards and you cant do anything about it!!
Old 04-03-06, 07:05 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Quit *****ing. In the UK it's around $6.50 when converted.
Old 04-03-06, 07:24 AM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

But its all relative where you live, the associated living expenses and your salary.

Either way, its something most of us cannot live without. Adjust and get used to it!!!
Old 04-03-06, 07:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by GSXLEX
We had a mild winter here in the NE particularly NJ and gas prices rose steadily anyway..Im sick of excuses..Big oil should keep it simple..

Q...Why are gas prices going up??
A...Because we are greedy bastards and you cant do anything about it!!
Bull. That's nonsense. There is plenty you can do about it.....starting with just driving less, keeping a lighter foot on the gas pedal, consolidating trips, keeping tire pressures up, and many other things to use less gas. The less gas you use ( and, of course, I'm talking about drivers in general, not just one person ) the less demand there will be and the less likely prices will keep rising. In the end, though, there is no getting around it...world demand is going to force one of two things...either a supply increase through more drilling and refineries or just more alternative non-petroleum energy sources.
The countries fueling ( pun intended ) this world rise in prices, like China and India, are also going to have to have to do their share to help conserve, too...they must realize that their wild, uncontrolled growth in autos and miles driven is making the whole world pay more...including themselves.
Old 04-03-06, 02:07 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Well that answers that. I have gotten tired trying to think that I have a clue what is going on but after the hurricanes, oil didn't drop much farther than the $60 a barrel range and because driving season is coming up, it has slowly moved back up to the $66 a barrrel range. I guess nobody really wants to tell the truth about all this but anyone fantasizing about $20 or $40 a barrel oil is either lying or stupid. At least it seems like there has been a lot of equalization to Cali prices. Oh, and it won't be that much longer till hurricane season again. And a friend actually got 11 mpg on a tank for his supercharged Rover. He was probably into it very heavy but I don't think he has seen very far into the teens on that thing that he just got at Christmas. A real vehicle for the future.
Old 04-03-06, 04:24 PM
bazop
Rookie

I recently read an article which said there is almost an additional $10 premium per barrel of crude because of political unrest- the fear that iran may cut oil output in response to UN censorship and rebel activity towards oil production in nigeria. For each dollar increase in the price of a barrel of crude translates into almost ten cents extra per gallon of gas. This speculation is what totally burns me up- the oil commodity traders in the world are bidding higher crude oil prices because of what they think might happen to supplies. To me, that's BS. Don't jack the prices up because you fear some action in the future that might not even take place. I believe the latest data showed crude oil supplies above what they were last year, although gasoline inventories are slightly down compared to the estimates going into the busier summer driving season. In short, the prices are high not totally because of just the supply issue- crude oil supplies are actually up.
Old 04-03-06, 04:44 PM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

I have one statement......."Walmart out of 1st place.....Mobil/Exxon moves to the top spot" Forbes 500

Go on believing the "supply and demand" theory......What a pretty list

1. Exxon Mobil 6. ConocoPhillips
2. Wal-Mart Stores 7. General Electric
3. General Motors 8. Citigroup
4. Chevron 9. AIG
5. Ford Motor 10. IBM

Last edited by AZDesertGS; 04-03-06 at 04:52 PM.
Old 04-03-06, 06:00 PM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

I read that it will go up past $4 if we go to war with Iran.

Quick Reply: Gas Prices w/o Hurricanes