Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda's warranty FINALLY comes out of the Dark Ages !

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-06, 04:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Honda's warranty FINALLY comes out of the Dark Ages !

Well, guys, there are icicles in hell. HERE'S a piece of automotive news:
Honda, for 2006, has F-I-N-A-L-L-Y decided to let some fresh air into the warranty department and catch up with the rest of Japanese automakers with a 5-year / 60,000 mile drivetrain warranty ....important on the complex AWD drivetrains of the CRV and Pilot in spite of their stellar reliability and the traditional tendency of some Honda lightweight manual transmissions to eat their synchros after a few years. While I have always had a generally high opinion of Honda products ( although many of their marketing people s * * k and are arrogant ) this improves my overall opinion of the company even more. Toyota, Subaru, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Isuzu, Suzuki, Mazda......all of these Japanese companies, for years, have put Honda to shame with their warranties....with Mitsubishi equaling the Hyundai / Kia 10 / 100,000 drivetrain warranty and at one time Isuzu even going to 120,000.
Honda, for years, has built some of the most reliable cars on the road, but if you DID get that rare Honda lemon, after 3 years / 36,000 miles you were screwed ( or could be ) unless the company on rare occasions offered extended coverage, like on the second-generation late 70's-early 80's Accords with the fender-rust problem. ( This was before virtually all manufacturers adopted the 100,000-mile rustperforation warranty ). Honda, among Japanese companies, until now was the only total-car 3/36 holdout....along with domestic automakers GM and Ford, which are STILL holding out with 3/36, except Cadillac and Lincoln which have slightly longer warranties due to their higher price and status.

http://search.hondacars.com/Default....=2006+warranty

I gotta admit, guys....to some extent, at least, I flubbed this one several weeks ago when I reviewed and test-drove the 2006 Civic EX....that was something I simply didn't check on. I certainly would have posted it along with my review.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-31-06 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-31-06, 05:25 PM
LexFather

Maybe its because their cars are not as reliable as before (flame suit back on!!!)

Old 03-31-06, 05:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Maybe its because their cars are not as reliable as before (flame suit back on!!!)
You can keep the suit off .......In spite of some Acura TL tranny problems from 2000-2003, Toyota-Lexus and Honda-Acura products consistantly lead the market in vehicle reliability. Once again the April Car-Buying issue of Consumer Reports verifies it. ( the best sourse I know of for auto relability...I read it like the Bible ). However, last year Subaru led in initial quality with the lowest number of defects per 100 cars.....Honda and Lexus were tied for second.

Honda, though, warrranty-wise, up to now was just C-H-E-A-P.
Old 03-31-06, 11:53 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree that they are not as reliable as they used to be. My 01 Accord auto tranny crapped out @ 78K. I wasn't the only one. People I know also had their auto tranny crapped out at around the same milage and one even had his replaced TWICE. Consumer Report still rate them very reliable because they only COUNT the number of problems even that ONE problem costs $$$$$. Similar to the sludge problem with the Toyota V6's, Honda extends the warranty to 100K.