Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How come some luxury brands dont come w/ LED's

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-06, 11:04 AM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How come some luxury brands dont come w/ LED's

Can anyone give me some insight as to why some of the luxury brand cars are really slow to get cutting edge things like LED lighting into their bread and butter cars. Take for example Audi and their latest A4, no LED taillights. They’re available on the higher end A6, and A8 but not the A4. The new Volvo’s, they’re supposed to be at the forefront of safety, hasn’t LED been proven to shave off people’s reaction time when they see these lights come on?

Yet, companies like Toyota is introducing them into practically ever model in their lineup sans the corolla I think. So what do you think the hold up is on the luxo manufacturer’s end?
Old 03-29-06, 12:33 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i am just saying it out loud here....

it could be two things -- cost and durability.

if i am correct, led costs a bit higher than normal bulb setup. now i don't know how much more it cost, but it could have something to do with it.

for durability (kinda goes hand in hand with cost), for normal lights, if bulbs go out, you just change them. but for led, say taillights, i don't think you can change the "bulb", but you have to change the whole taillight. at least that's the case for sc430 taillights, so i assume same for other cars. so that's a lot more cost to manufacturers (if under warranty) or customers. now led is SUPPOSED to be long lasting, but personal experience has told me otherwise. if you have good led with good led setup, yes it lasts long, but that means it take good design and research to make sure the setup is going to last long. maybe that's another concern?

again, just my 2 cents. i could be wrong
Old 03-29-06, 12:39 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

those are good reasons but then how is it that Toyota is putting into their 4runners, camry,etc if cost and durability is of concern?
Old 03-29-06, 12:51 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

its partially cost and partially you pointing out older models such as A4, which really only got an facelfit and nothing close to full redesign...

Why is Toyota #1 manufacturer in the world? :-).
Old 03-29-06, 01:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by foofighter
those are good reasons but then how is it that Toyota is putting into their 4runners, camry,etc if cost and durability is of concern?
well.... toyota is ahead of a lot of other manufacturers in a lot of things seriously it's just about time, design, and prediction. toyota probably predicted about led long time ago and have spent quite a while perfecting the led setup, to the point that they can do this rather cost effectively for most cars?
Old 03-29-06, 01:08 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Toyota is damn rich.

nuff said
Old 03-29-06, 01:51 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

god forbid audi/VW have anymore electrical problems
Old 03-29-06, 02:55 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
god forbid audi/VW have anymore electrical problems
LOL good point.
Old 03-29-06, 03:14 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree about that too. Had an MB M-Class and it didn't have LEd 3rd brake lights. It did have LEd signal mirrors, which were pretty neat, but the thought of no LED brake lights nearly killed me.

Good thing that the optional rear spoiler had LEDs.

Something I hate more than a car without LEDs. A car with dim LEDs. I've seen them in the Corolla S, and mostly Chevy Tahoes and previous gen. minivans. Sure they have LEDs, but they're so darn dim. I'd rather have bright incandescent bulbs.

Another thing, is the placement of the 3rd brake light in sedans. I like how the Audi A6 has it placed at the very top of the rear windsheild. IMO, I feel safer because there is more distance between the tail lights the 3rd brake lights. That way someone far away can see the 3rd light lighting up more clearly.
Old 03-29-06, 03:24 PM
LexFather

short term cost and maybe issues with design. Long term, LEDs will last much longer than any HID or halogen bulb. They are also safer to use as they are more intense.

Its just a matter of time before APC makes more of them and everyone slaps them on from winshield fozzles to bumpers.

Old 03-29-06, 10:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by genearch
Ok... here's a different, yet related question:

Why does Lexus use them on the interior? Dash ?
you mean where?!
Old 03-30-06, 02:00 AM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Marketing.

A lot of things are "dumbed down" for the US market, imo (and many things are first introduced in the us as well). Take for example, HID headlights. In Japan, just about every crummy cheap 4-cylinder grocery getter practically has them, stock. AND a DVD based nav. But in the US, you can still buy a Mini Cooper or a Lexus with standard Halogens headlights! I read somewhere a long time ago about the timing of introducing and implementing new products into the market......something about they have to pace themselves because the consumers can't always keep up with technology as fast as innovations are born.
Old 03-30-06, 05:24 AM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by meZoom!
Marketing.

A lot of things are "dumbed down" for the US market, imo (and many things are first introduced in the us as well). Take for example, HID headlights. In Japan, just about every crummy cheap 4-cylinder grocery getter practically has them, stock. AND a DVD based nav. But in the US, you can still buy a Mini Cooper or a Lexus with standard Halogens headlights! I read somewhere a long time ago about the timing of introducing and implementing new products into the market......something about they have to pace themselves because the consumers can't always keep up with technology as fast as innovations are born.
This is true.
Old 03-30-06, 08:55 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by meZoom!
Marketing.

totally different perspective but indeed..... i think it's very true!!!!
Old 03-30-06, 09:15 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

one led and one light bulb cost about the same amount of money. Now how many led's do you need in a tail light? do the math its more expensive. most toyotas/lexus's have spare money to invest in better technology since cost to produce the cars are lower. toyota has one of the best ratio's of cost/sale price.

Also like how meZoom said how the US market is dumbed down. its in a way dumb downed. The way america does stuff and the way the rest of the world does stuff is different. You dont use the american market to test out your new products, unless you did some heavy R&D. The american market is one of the biggest markets in the world, one bad product and your entire company is in jepardy. IE look at the sales of hyndai in the US. In america we hold our products up to a standard, if something breaks we send it in for warranty service ect. Imagine the loss'es that would accumulate for a defective product, a recall, replacement, then your product name being dragged in the mud, then sales decline, ect.... not good

For example look at cel phones. You ever wonder why the latest and greatest sell phones come out in asian markets first, and takes forever to reach the US? First of all in places such as hong kong everyone got a bad *** cel phone. So you see people spend $400 or $500 for the latest and baddest cel phone. If it breaks they go buy another phone they dont send it back for warranty service. Thats just the mentality they have. Comapanies are able to test their new products on a market that won't cost them as much if something is designed bad or has flaws. If a phone that was prone to breaking was released in the US without testing it in other markets first that company would be losing quite of bit of money.

Quick Reply: How come some luxury brands dont come w/ LED's