Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Camry vs Accord vs Sonata vs Fusion (edmunds)

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-06, 08:14 PM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camry vs Accord vs Sonata vs Fusion (edmunds)

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=109710
Old 03-27-06, 09:16 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Nice to see that it won................I saw a few of the new Camrys at the Toyota dealership and they are REALLY UGLY. The SE version looks like a joke, it was parked to the previous gen Camry which for some reason looked much bigger, longer, and more upscale. Toyota has to step its styling and stop putting the Bangle butt on all their cars. At least the new Avalon looks decent, the previous gen was a nightmare.
Old 03-27-06, 09:18 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow! That was a long read (for a car article).

Good to see that the new Camry promises a lot of bells and whistles. And it's also good to see that as much as the writers wanted to talk about horsepower and handling, Camry got the first place because of all its amenities, not 0-60 time.

Hyundai is still a threat to Toyota because of price, but I think people will realize that there are some things that make a car better, and will spend a little extra $$ for it.
Old 03-27-06, 09:45 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Nice to see that it won................I saw a few of the new Camrys at the Toyota dealership and they are REALLY UGLY.
That is exactly what I was thinking and have been saying all along. The worst
part of it is that they are going to be everywhere!

The FUGLY ranking would be

1) Camry (an eyesore Bangle would be proud of)
2) Sonata (badly done Accord of 2 generations ago, still fugly)
3) Fusion (a bit odd, but not bad looking)
4) Accord (least offensive due to extreme blandness)
Old 03-27-06, 10:58 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Didnt read the entire thing(just too long) but its nice to see the Camry win. They really raised the bar with this model.
Old 03-27-06, 11:43 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Nice to see that it won................I saw a few of the new Camrys at the Toyota dealership and they are REALLY UGLY. T
I got to check out the new Camry this past weekend. My inlaws current 95 Camry needs replacing, so we checked out the Scion's, Camry, and Avalon. The Camry is nice inside, but the exterior is horrible. It is uglier in person than in pictures. Mostly due to the front end. The grill with the large Toyota emblem just ruins this car. The Avalon is also kind of nice inside, but the car we checked out had problems with the cup holder and storage compartment doors. Something was wrong with it and it had trouble opening and closing. Plus, the Camry has the same 3.5L engine and HP, and a better 6 speed tranny vs the Avalon 5 speed. I'm not sure why anyone would pay that much more for the Avalon. All the Toyota products felt 2 steps down in quality than the Lexus cars. That reinforced my opinion that I rather buy a few years older used Lexus than any new Toyota at this time. The only car I felt I could live with for the price was the Scion tC.
Old 03-28-06, 03:37 AM
mhc0725
Driver

Cool Two Steps Down and Dozey Doe...

I totally agree with prevous post'r that Toyota seems to be two steps down in terms of quality next to Lexus. It also seems like they waved the ugly stick over their Toyota vehicles so their Lexus brand stands out more too. I haven't seen the new Camry at dealership yet, but I will in probably another week or two, but from pictures online, they look butt ugly. Extra $8000, why not get an ES350 over a top-of-the-line Camry. Better material, more goodies, and you're driving a Lexus.

Back to the two-steps-down, the base Highlander interior is just the cheapest Toyota interior this side of the Mississippi... hard plastic all around, flimsy plastic. If they continue pricing vehicles the way they are without the same improvements in quality, don't look in your rear view mirror because the Koreans are coming... the Koreans are coming...and behind them in about another ten years, the Chinese are here too...
Old 03-28-06, 05:21 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

In truth, however, after the first five minutes behind the wheel of the all-new 2007 Camry, each evaluator came away with the same impression: "This is a Camry?" Every so often, an automaker produces something so extraordinary that it manages to not only eclipse its own predecessor, but also succeeds in making the competition appear obsolete.

One might expect this scenario from, say, Mercedes-Benz, Porsche or Ferrari, but not from Toyota. Small, measured steps are what we've grown to expect from the Asian manufacturer. Toyota, it seems, has found its mojo. The company has tapped into a new, more confident, riskier and more rewarding future as a result.

If this is the kind of progression we should now anticipate when Toyota replaces an old model with a new one, then we'll need to recalibrate our expectations for future redesigns — and so should everybody else.
nice, all out positive review...
Old 03-28-06, 05:22 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mhc0725
I totally agree with prevous post'r that Toyota seems to be two steps down in terms of quality next to Lexus. It also seems like they waved the ugly stick over their Toyota vehicles so their Lexus brand stands out more too. I haven't seen the new Camry at dealership yet, but I will in probably another week or two, but from pictures online, they look butt ugly. Extra $8000, why not get an ES350 over a top-of-the-line Camry. Better material, more goodies, and you're driving a Lexus.

Back to the two-steps-down, the base Highlander interior is just the cheapest Toyota interior this side of the Mississippi... hard plastic all around, flimsy plastic. If they continue pricing vehicles the way they are without the same improvements in quality, don't look in your rear view mirror because the Koreans are coming... the Koreans are coming...and behind them in about another ten years, the Chinese are here too...
lol, you didnt read the article, did you?
Old 03-28-06, 05:24 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Yes, it can do that, too
If this were a performance-sedan test, a luxury-sedan test or an economy-car test, the Camry still would've won. In reality, performance, luxury and economy are considerations of family sedan buyers, whether they realize it or not.

The 2007 Camry is a do-it-all automobile, the one that pleases Mom and Dad and impresses the boss without embarrassing the kids. The V6 Camry makes the dash to 60 mph in less time than a recent BMW 330i did, it was nearly as quiet as a Bentley Flying Spur at idle and wide-open throttle, and its 22 city/31 highway EPA fuel economy rating matches that of a four-cylinder Honda Civic Si. Pretty impressive stuff to say the least.
man, they liked it a lot....
Old 03-28-06, 05:47 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

That's a glowing review & a good win Yes, that proboscis is ugly, I think they probably did that on purpose to make the ES350 stand out even more . . .
Old 03-28-06, 07:24 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by spwolf
nice, all out positive review...
Damn, what a comment by Edmunds! I thought the same, just looking at specs. This car is going to hurt a lot of feelings, like the IS and Avalon

Old 03-28-06, 01:06 PM
xioix
Racer

The surprising thing was Edmunds got 0-60 of 6.5, can't wait to see what C&D gets
Old 03-28-06, 01:51 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome review and a great win for the New Camry.

I can't believe they gave the JBL system a 9.0 score--that's as good as the Mark Levinson system in the New ES and the New IS!!!

Let's see...better acceleration, reclining rear seats, faux wood that looks as good as real according to Edmunds, and an audio system that sounds just as good... Now can someone please tell me why anyone should pay the extra to get an ES over a Camry XLE besides for a better-looking nose and a possibly better customer service?

Oh wait, I see that the Camry is sorely lacking an HID option. So the ES is superior after all I guess?
Old 03-28-06, 04:27 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Awesome review and a great win for the New Camry.

I can't believe they gave the JBL system a 9.0 score--that's as good as the Mark Levinson system in the New ES and the New IS!!!

Let's see...better acceleration, reclining rear seats, faux wood that looks as good as real according to Edmunds, and an audio system that sounds just as good... Now can someone please tell me why anyone should pay the extra to get an ES over a Camry XLE besides for a better-looking nose and a possibly better customer service?

Oh wait, I see that the Camry is sorely lacking an HID option. So the ES is superior after all I guess?
lots of little luxury things like AFS, dynamic cruise control, extra airbags, memory seats, etc, etc, etc.

Quick Reply: Camry vs Accord vs Sonata vs Fusion (edmunds)