Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How a recall earned Lexus a top reputation

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-06, 06:08 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
Default How a recall earned Lexus a top reputation

How a recall earned Lexus a top reputation
Automotive News / March 27, 2006 - 6:00 am

In this excerpt from their new book, Satisfaction: How Every Great Company Listens to the Voice of the Customer, Chris Denove and James D. Power IV, son of the founder of J.D. Power and Associates, detail how Lexus established itself as a leader in customer satisfaction among car buyers.

Sending a message from the top
The year was 1987 and the domestic automakers had finally resigned themselves to the fact that the Japanese were here to stay. What began as a trend in California and was perceived as consumers' knee-jerk response to the gasoline shortages of the '70s had taken root across the country. To the domestic automakers' dismay, even after gas prices stabilized, cars such as the Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla continued to gain share not only on the West Coast, but also in small Midwestern towns that traditionally bought American.

Although the loss of share was daunting, the domestic automakers believed their problem was self-limiting. "Okay," they thought, "Americans may have fallen in love with small economy cars from Japan, but the Japanese will never be able to sell a large car in this country." And this was a comforting thought, because small cars were a loss leader for domestic automakers. Their real profits came from the larger, option-laden vehicles, which they felt were immune from Japanese attack. And so the executives from the Big Three went to bed at night content that although they may be losing the battle for small cars, they would still win the war for corporate profits and market dominance in the end.

Halfway across the globe, executives at the European automakers were even less concerned about America's growing acceptance of Japanese vehicles. After all, with the exception of Volkswagen, the Europeans didn't even sell small cars in America. They didn't even sell large cars, for that matter. They sold luxury vehicles. And a luxury vehicle isn't just defined by its size; it exists because of its brand cachet -- something that no Japanese automaker could deliver, or so they thought.

So you can only imagine the reaction on both sides of the pond when, on August 24, 1987, Toyota announced the unthinkable. It would create Lexus, an entirely new division dedicated to building and selling what they said would be the best luxury vehicles in the world. You could almost hear the laughter filtering down from corporate towers in Detroit and Stuttgart, "An office worker may pay $10,000 for a Toyota to get back and forth to work, but there is no way a doctor or a lawyer is going to plunk down $40,000 for a Toyota, even if you give it a fancy name like Lexus."

Toyota was undaunted. It set out to redefine luxury beyond the traditional attributes of leather trim and a powerful engine. To Lexus, luxury would be defined by the total ownership experience, including a defect-free vehicle coupled with great dealer service.

Development progressed quickly, and in September 1989 Lexus delivered its first vehicles into the waiting hands of customers. Its flagship vehicle, the LS 400, carried a list price of just under $40,000. By comparison, a fully loaded Mercedes S-Type sold for nearly twice that amount. That's okay, Mercedes thought; Lexus needs that price advantage to make up for the stigma of driving a glorified Toyota.

Small glitch
The cars sold well initially, but a few months into the program the one thing happened that Lexus feared most, and that executives at competing car companies secretly dreamed: the cars began to experience a problem. We're not talking about a stuck-on-the-freeway type of problem, but just a little crack in the armor that Lexus knew could snowball into a deluge of bad press for a company trying to establish itself under the eye of a microscope. It seems that two customers in different parts of the country complained about a glitch in their cruise control.

Lexus faced a decision. After all, it was only two cars, and thankfully this particular cruise control glitch didn't pose a safety issue. It could quietly fix those two cars and wait to see whether others surfaced with similar problems. Or it could issue a recall and let the world know that Lexus engineers were human after all. To those we interviewed for this book, the decision was simple. Since Lexus was counting on its dealers to deliver a level of service head and shoulders above that of any other automotive brand, Lexus needed to take the high road and set an example, one that is still talked about among automotive insiders today.

Big fix
So, just a few months out of the gate, Lexus recalled every LS 400 it had sold. They made this decision knowing full well that competitors like Mercedes, BMW, and GM were just waiting for the company to stumble, ready to pounce on every miscue. They could almost hear the cheering from Stuttgart and Detroit at the misfortune of this early recall. They knew competitors would use the recall to proclaim that Japanese automakers need to learn their place, stick to selling small economy cars, and let the more established manufacturers cater to the world's automotive elite.

But remember, Lexus set out from the beginning to redefine the meaning of luxury. They realized that this recall provided them with an opportunity to really show the world that they were dealing with an entirely new kind of car company, a company that didn't just talk customer satisfaction, it lived it. So, when Lexus owners received their recall notices, they were in for a surprise. The notices not only included a detailed apology letter, but owners were advised that their dealer would come to their homes, pick up the car, and leave them a loaner car free of charge while the repair was made. Every car was returned to the owner washed, detailed, and with a full tank of gas.

There was even a gift sitting on the driver's seat as thanks for their patience.

And when a customer lived beyond the normal range of a Lexus dealership, the company's field personnel took it upon themselves to drive to the home, break out their tools, and fix the problem right there in the customer's own garage. In at least one case this meant getting on a plane and flying a technician to Alaska to fix a customer's car, because Lexus didn't yet have any dealers outside the continental United States.

For all practical purposes, we believe this recall marked the day that Lexus was truly born, and not the day it sold its first car. This is because the recall was the day that Lexus showed the world what it really meant to be customer-focused.

Putting teeth in the platitudes
Lexus's story is important because it provides one of those rare examples in which a company eschews an inexpensive short-term solution to a problem in favor of a more costly but permanent fix. When Lexus recalled every LS 400 it had sold, it told the world it wasn't just saying it planned to be the best; it lived it, and backed up the claim from the top all the way down to the technicians who drove out to customers' homes. Remember, Lexus was in no way legally, or even morally, obligated to issue this recall. They did it simply because they felt it was in the best interest of their customers.

Let's face it. Every company says that customer satisfaction is a paramount goal. Countless CEOs begin their speeches or their annual report letters by declaring: "We've built our company around the philosophy that we will do absolutely everything possible to satisfy our customers." If you feel as if you've heard all of this before, you have. Corporate America has embraced the verbiage as a mantra over the past decade.

In truth, talk is cheap, particularly when it comes to customer satisfaction, a concept that companies and their advertising agencies increasingly believe is on sale to the highest bidder. Claims of love affairs with customers have become such common chatter in business that most employees, managers, and customers themselves don't even hear it anymore. We intend to be more than a bit exclusionary in our discussion. We want to talk about the companies that really mean it!
http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...fsect=BREAKING
Old 03-27-06, 06:54 AM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Nice read

Beatiful write-up. Not the least surprising. That pretty much defines Lexus and what Toyota had in mine from day one.
Old 03-27-06, 07:29 AM
Lexus_girl
Pole Position

Good find. I just sent the link to my GSM.
Old 03-27-06, 01:36 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

A very similar situation happened with Saturn in 1991, their initial year of release. Several thousand cars went out with substandard coolant that, over many years, would cause corrosion of hoses and other parts. Saturn knew they could bury the information, but instead chose to recall every one of the affected vehicles. They gave the owners brand new cars, even ones that had been driven for many months and many thousands of miles, as a gesture of goodwill and a (costly) example of standing by their motto as a "different kind of company".

If you ever went into a Saturn dealership in the early 90's you likely saw one of these recalled vehicles. In a brilliant "lemon into lemonade" move they put one in every dealership, but with pieces and parts cut away so that customers could get a real inside look at the construction of the cars they were considering. This was also the source of all those doors that people could whale away on with a sledgehammer without causing a dent!
Old 03-27-06, 03:00 PM
AJ
Lexus Champion

Great read
Old 03-27-06, 03:12 PM
papachino
Pole Position

That's my babies daddy, now what happened to that service?
Old 06-02-06, 10:14 AM
kissbang
Pole Position

Great article. I enjoyed it thoroughly. Further proof that I'm such a fanboy.
Old 06-02-06, 10:26 AM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

If you want a better read, pick up the book "The Lexus Story", from which that article was derived (copied?) from.

It's a fantastic read cover to cover, and the book has a very nice leather cover and a chrome Lexus emblem. It's a good book to read whether you own a Lexus or not, similar to the way "The Toyota Way" is required reading for anyone interested in improving their business/management.
Old 06-02-06, 10:38 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 196 Likes on 109 Posts

Awesome read!!!

When I bought my GS400 back in November 2002, the warranty had just expired or was about to expire in a couple of weeks. I don't remember exactly now.

Anyway, when I went to the London Lexus dealer to pick up the car, the salesman asked me if I wanted to buy an extended warranty. I thought about it for a moment and then without any hesitation I said an emphatic "No" with a smile.

I had done my research on the car - it was owned by a local doctor who drove it less than 6K miles per year and had carried out all scheduled maintenance at the same dealer he bought it from (same dealer I bought it from). Lexus cars were built like tanks for crying out loud, why would I need an extended warranty???

Anyway, two months later I noticed the condensation in the headlights, so I took the car to my local Lexus dealer and complained about this and they said the warranty had expired and they would have to charge me to "fix" the problem.

Not satisfied with that response, I left and wrote a long letter to the President of Toyota/Lexus Canada complaining about how this problem was unacceptable in an expensive car like this (I posted this on CL back in early 2003).

Next thing I know, I get a call from Lexus asking me to take the car in to my local Lexus dealer and they would replace the headlights for free!!!! They could very easily have said, take a hike my friend - warranty is over!

But no, their customer service is just so exceptional, they replaced both headlights at a cost of $1600.00 (canadian) per side plus at least 4 hours labour. I saved over $3.5K minimum.

Now that's what I call customer service!!
Old 06-02-06, 10:44 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by papachino
now what happened to that service?
I would also like to know...
Old 06-02-06, 10:51 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot of companies could learn from this!
Old 06-02-06, 12:48 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Default Interesting

I send that story to my father via e-mail. He is a pretty wealthy man who doesn't spend a whole lot of money on cars (except his new Vette). Take a look at his interesting response.

I find it hard to debate him

Well, I could play devil's advocate and point out that when you have only sold a relative hand full of cars, it's not too hard to exercise a recall in this detail, in fact it was probably a requirement just to prove they meant business, but I won't.

Lexus has impressed me with their customer service and the American and Europeans were guilty of sitting their laurels just as your little desertation suggests. No argument on those points. But it still wont make me buy a Lexus or a BMW or a Mercedes simply because they cost too much, I don't keep a car long enough and I have too many other "wants"
that mean more to me than driving an exclusive Marc. My used Caddy or Vette will do nicely thank you.....at less than half the price. And these days, except for a really really low price dealer like Suzuki or Kia, who have to go through all kinds of antics and foolishness to sell cars, most of the dealers I've dealt with are pretty good. Buick, Cadillac and Dodge dealers all treated me well. An interesting point, when you mother was looking at new cars last year, our worst buying experience happened at the biggest Toyota Dealership in Charlotte. The Honda dealer was better but neither impressed us much. It might have been that we weren't looking at $60K or $70K cars. Who knows, if we had gone to look at a new LS we might have gotten treated better, I would expect nothing less. Today I can buy a good used Cadillac and another lot in a resort community with the difference in price of a used LS. Guess what the resale value of the LS will be in five years compared to the lot?

Which of your Lexus family of vehicles, or any other foreign brand, attempts to rival the performance of the Corvette Z06 for under $65K?
Or the good old American muscle car cadre like the new Dodge Challenger?
I'm sorry you didn't have the opportunity to grow up in the late 60s or early 70s to watch a paradigm shift happen. How many "old" Lexus, Mercedes or BMWs sell at collector auctions for hundreds of thousands of dollars? It's not even an unusual occurance for old Mustangs, Camaros and Barracudas. Where were the Japanese and Europeans then? BMW was the only real "performance" car that the average European citizen could afford and you know what their reliability was like just a few years ago. Lexus didn't invent anything. They entered the game late and took advantage of years upon years of Toyota experience and the fat bankroll to go with it. If they had done anything original, maybe they would deserve a place in automotive history, but I don't think they will ever endear themselves to real car lovers because they came late to the party and guessed lucky on their marketing strategy. Big deal. They haven't paid their dues.

As long as people are willing to indenture their paychecks to own, or worse yet lease, an overpriced luxury model that they don't need and indebt themselves to astronomically high monthly payments for five, six or even seven years, I'll keep buying good used cars for less than $40K and smile all the way to the bank, beach house, resort or golf course each payday knowing I got there in just as much comfort although the crowds probably didn't notice my ride as much as they did the guy in the LS. They don't know either of us anyway.
hard to argue with his points.... but I'll still stick with Lexus
Old 06-02-06, 01:18 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 196 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by IronCobra
I send that story to my father via e-mail. He is a pretty wealthy man who doesn't spend a whole lot of money on cars (except his new Vette). Take a look at his interesting response.

Yep, hard to argue with him, that's why I bought my GS400 used for $40K!
Old 06-02-06, 01:53 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by IronCobra

Easy to debate this guy. Here:
Well, I could play devil's advocate and point out that when you have only sold a relative hand full of cars, it's not too hard to exercise a recall in this detail, in fact it was probably a requirement just to prove they meant business, but I won't.
Name one other company that did it BEFORE Lexus. I bet he can't name one. Thus, this was history. It wasn't even a RECALL from the Federal Government, Lexus initiated it.

Lexus has impressed me with their customer service and the American and Europeans were guilty of sitting their laurels just as your little desertation suggests. No argument on those points. But it still wont make me buy a Lexus or a BMW or a Mercedes simply because they cost too much, I don't keep a car long enough and I have too many other "wants"
Clearly he is biased toward GM/Caddy, which was RESTING ON ITS LAURELS FOR 30 YEARS. It wasn't until the STS to an extent they kind of work up and not until the CTS, etc thtat people started taken them seriously. Until then, they were FWD, or a rebadged Opel (Catera) with poor quality. Lexus trumped Caddy like they didn't even exist in the 90s.
that mean more to me than driving an exclusive Marc. My used Caddy or Vette will do nicely thank you.....at less than half the price. And these days, except for a really really low price dealer like Suzuki or Kia, who have to go through all kinds of antics and foolishness to sell cars, most of the dealers I've dealt with are pretty good. Buick, Cadillac and Dodge dealers all treated me well. An interesting point, when you mother was looking at new cars last year, our worst buying experience happened at the biggest Toyota Dealership in Charlotte. The Honda dealer was better but neither impressed us much. It might have been that we weren't looking at $60K or $70K cars. Who knows, if we had gone to look at a new LS we might have gotten treated better, I would expect nothing less. Today I can buy a good used Cadillac and another lot in a resort community with the difference in price of a used LS. Guess what the resale value of the LS will be in five years compared to the lot?
I am sure they treated them well as he probably let it be known "hey I am rich and can buy anything here". ANYONE will take you serious then. He is already biased against Lexus, I bet if the A/C was off 1 degree, he would have said "service was awful".
Is he bragging on the "low" resale of the Caddy? Nothing luxurious about that.
Which of your Lexus family of vehicles, or any other foreign brand, attempts to rival the performance of the Corvette Z06 for under $65K?None, and I love the Z06 but it kills me that people are using this arugement to death. Well BEFORE 2006, the Z06 was okay, not great. They have improved it. Now I ask him"
1. What american car battles the LS 430 let alone 460 or 600h L?
2. And the GS 450h? RX 400h?
3. Hell IS or ES? The CTS interior is TRASH, period.
4. Before Caddy's revival, name one Caddy you would seriously pick over a Lexus? Hard ain't it.

So he's comparing the car he loves and a great car, to one Lexus doesn't even make competition for. FLAWED.
When the LF-A comes, he can say "Value" all he wants, V-10 and F-1 inspired will be serious stuff.
Or the good old American muscle car cadre like the new Dodge Challenger?
I'm sorry you didn't have the opportunity to grow up in the late 60s or early 70s to watch a paradigm shift happen. How many "old" Lexus, Mercedes or BMWs sell at collector auctions for hundreds of thousands of dollars? It's not even an unusual occurance for old Mustangs, Camaros and Barracudas. Where were the Japanese and Europeans then? BMW was the only real "performance" car that the average European citizen could afford and you know what their reliability was like just a few years ago. Lexus didn't invent anything. They entered the game late and took advantage of years upon years of Toyota experience and the fat bankroll to go with it. If they had done anything original, maybe they would deserve a place in automotive history, but I don't think they will ever endear themselves to real car lovers because they came late to the party and guessed lucky on their marketing strategy. Big deal. They haven't paid their dues.
Here he is showing ignorance. He is comparing cars literally 40 and 50 years old and their value to a brand out 17 years. You got to be kidding me. Time will only tell will Lexus be valued as much (and even I doubt that).
Yes, they entered the game late, Toyota had no idea they would be this large. Their first car failed miserably in America. but they kept PUSHING and TRYING while American car companies NAPPED for 30 damn years, trying to turn it around recently.

Paid their dues? Lexus got LAUGHED AT literally in 1989-1990. Look who is laughing now?

As long as people are willing to indenture their paychecks to own, or worse yet lease, an overpriced luxury model that they don't need and indebt themselves to astronomically high monthly payments for five, six or even seven years, I'll keep buying good used cars for less than $40K and smile all the way to the bank, beach house, resort or golf course each payday knowing I got there in just as much comfort although the crowds probably didn't notice my ride as much as they did the guy in the LS. They don't know either of us anyway.

Here has nothing to do with cars. He is a smart man who buys used. He might be in the book "the millionare next door" this is one of their traits.

Old 06-02-06, 03:19 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

You don't have to prove anything to me. I'm sold on Lexus and have been through the last 3 models I've owned.

I just want my father to buy one for himself to experiance it personally.

I think you keyed in on it here: