Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

does any one know anything about VW?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-06, 01:04 PM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default does any one know anything about VW?

i have a 99 VW jetta and its getting this code: P0411... 16795 Secondary Air Injection System Improper Flow Detected. how can i fix this?
Old 03-26-06, 01:42 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts
Default ...

My friend that's a hardcore veedub enthusiast frequents this site,

www.vwvortex.com

Hopefully you can find the answer to your question there. I'm sure with the bulk of veedub heads on those boards you're bound to find someone that can help
Old 03-26-06, 02:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I'm not an expert on automotive computer codes but it sounds like a problem with the Mass Airflow Sensor ( MAS )...the device that detects the amount and density of the air ( partially determined by temperature and humidity ) flowing through the air intake system for the fuel injectors. It sends a signal to the main engine-control-computer to adjust the amount of fuel going into the injectors for the optimum air-fuel mixture for the driving conditions.....warmup, acceleration, transmission gear-shifting, easing off the throttle, etc.....
If the MAS is bad the engine will not start, warmup, or run properly. It will either be too lean or too rich a fuel mixture....or both.

Don't be surprised if you are getting computer-related problems with a Jetta......VW electronics border on being junk, though I know this is not a brand-new car here but a 7-year-old one.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-26-06 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-26-06, 09:00 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats caused by the stock vac lines. I used to work on VW's at Reeve's in Tampa... Simple fix. DEFINITELY DO NOT TAKE TO THE DEALER TO FIX. They will charge you over $100 to fix this, but in actuallity, it takes about 20 min and $3 of vac hose.

What engine do you have? 1.8, 2.0, or VR6? Let me know and Ill let you know where the hoses are.

PM me, Email me, or IM me...
Old 03-26-06, 09:24 PM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

its a 2.0. please let me know what to do. as far as i have researched it's a vac line of some sort, i was hoping it was a gas cap.
Old 03-27-06, 05:05 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Ok, the fix is fairly simple. I couldn't find a good pic of a Jetta 2.0, but considering they are all the same the Beetle will work just the same.

To get to these, you are going to have to remove the engine cover. Two bolts up front and the cover slides out of the back bolt.

I numbered the ones that I remember were the crap hose. I say crap hose because the hose becomes VERY brittle and dry after a few years, then they crack and eventually break. You will need some pliers to pull off the broken pieces that remain on the nipples. Sometimes, they get so stuck on you might need a razor blade to cut them off. Anyhow, there are only two that I can remember that you will need to replace. The hose you will need to look for under the engine cover looks like this.

They should be pretty easy to spot as there aren't too many of them. If you go the OEM route, the replacements are going to be exactly the same style and look. As you can see, what they give you (and charge you for) is more than you should need. I have about 6 feet of this hose in my tool box from when I used to work at Reeves.

Hopefully, this should cover it. Let me know if you need help finding them. If you still cant find it all of them, take a pic of the engine without the engine cover and Ill point them all out for you... but the pic of the beetle should give you a starting point!
Old 03-27-06, 07:20 PM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

so do i need to replace all the hoses that look like that braided one? are the colored hoses on the bug the ones i need to replace? is this all accessible from the top of the motor? thank you for your help.
Old 03-27-06, 07:24 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ILOVEGIRLS
so do i need to replace all the hoses that look like that braided one? are the colored hoses on the bug the ones i need to replace? is this all accessible from the top of the motor? thank you for your help.
Nah, the only hoses you need to replace will look like the braided ones above. They aren't really "braided" but they have a cloth covering on them.

The colored hoses on the Bug have ALL been changed, including non-vac hoses. The #1 and #2 in the pic of the colored hoses should be the only ones you should have to replace. But once you look under the engine cover you will be able to see which hoses they are. And yes, they are all on the top side of the engine with VERY easy access. Matter of fact, the hardest ones to replace were on the 1.8T Beetle...
Old 03-28-06, 02:23 PM
LexFather

Wow, way to help Stage3.

I am a member of vwvortex as well, great forum

Old 04-01-06, 10:04 PM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

stage3. thanks for your help. i was able to find the line that broke and replaced it ; however, i am still getting that code for the same issue. im going to replace all the "braided" lines tomorrow. is there a special way to clear the ecu?
Old 04-01-06, 10:31 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ILOVEGIRLS
stage3. thanks for your help. i was able to find the line that broke and replaced it ; however, i am still getting that code for the same issue. im going to replace all the "braided" lines tomorrow. is there a special way to clear the ecu?

If you have a OBD2 Scanner/Clearer, that should clear it right up. Plug the reader into the OBD port, then turn the key to ACC. Pull the code on the reader and clear it. Turn the car on and then run a scan again. It should be all cleared up. And yes, I would recommend that you replace all the vac lines. If one is cracked, that usually means the other ones are about to go too.
Old 04-01-06, 11:02 PM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

i have a scanner and i plugged it in to read the code. the same code comes up and when i hit erase, nothing happens. im wondering if there is something wrong with my reader...
Old 04-02-06, 09:34 AM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

HMM... That's peculiar. Clear the code with the car in acc, then unplug the reader. Start the car up fully and let it run for a few minutes. Put the car back into acc and scan again. See what happens.
Old 04-02-06, 07:05 PM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

stage3. thanks man. i cleared the code with the car in acc. now i guess we will see what happens. BTW: where do i add the steering fluid? the book sucks and did not point out the location. also, how do i flushed the coolant system? these cars are so out of the norm for me. thanks!!!