Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Factory Installed Swirls? Huh

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-06, 11:24 AM
Monk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory Installed Swirls? Huh

Just bought a black SC430. It is filled with swirls/holograms. Dealer swears that "all dark Lexus' are like that--that is how they come--I have proved it in court five times". I look around the lot, and sure enough, all of their dark cars are covered with swirls. This does not make sense to me. This is a major issue to me, because they insisted that my car be repainted following delivery due to wind chip damage while on their lot. Now, whenever the sun is out, the car looks like ____. Am I getting the glad hand?
Old 03-25-06, 12:17 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

That guy is full of such crap I don't even know where to start. All the ones on their lot look like that because they prep them, and by prep I mean probably run them through a brush of doom washer than have some 16 year old kid hit it with some diamond compound and a 10,000 rpm rotary. An unpreped Lexus's paint will be flawless aside from damage received through transit (which should be none, or almost none), that guy is feeding you a bunch of bull. I've detailed cars straight off the boat for Erin Park Lexus and I can tell you that aside from a very light polish and some dressings they need almost no work because the paint is in perfect condition. I've also detailed "prepped" cars for unhappy customers, and those cars inevitably look like *** because the dealership prep is a joke.

Before I go on I want to hear more about this repaint due to wind damage? Was it a full repaint? If so I would absolutely not accept that car. Re-paints are almost never as durable (or as good looking) as factory paint, and they are virtually never baked, so they have to cure on your time. If you've already accepted the car it's time to get on the phone with Lexus because you're getting a bum deal.
Old 03-25-06, 12:23 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by picus
That guy is full of such crap I don't even know where to start. All the ones on their lot look like that because they prep them, and by prep I mean probably run them through a brush of doom washer than have some 16 year old kid hit it with some diamond compound and a 10,000 rpm rotary. An unpreped Lexus's paint will be flawless aside from damage received through transit (which should be none, or almost none), that guy is feeding you a bunch of bull. I've detailed cars straight off the boat for Erin Park Lexus and I can tell you that aside from a very light polish and some dressings they need almost no work because the paint is in perfect condition. I've also detailed "prepped" cars for unhappy customers, and those cars inevitably look like *** because the dealership prep is a joke.

Before I go on I want to hear more about this repaint due to wind damage? Was it a full repaint? If so I would absolutely not accept that car. Re-paints are almost never as durable (or as good looking) as factory paint, and they are virtually never baked, so they have to cure on your time. If you've already accepted the car it's time to get on the phone with Lexus because you're getting a bum deal.

Never accept a car that was re-painted or had any paint work. It will never be anywhere near the quality of factory paint.
Old 03-25-06, 03:57 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Och

Never accept a car that was re-painted or had any paint work. It will never be anywhere near the quality of factory paint.
Old 03-25-06, 09:14 PM
Monk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by picus

Thanks for not mincing words. Sometimes you start to think you are crazy, particularly when the other guy has a greater knowledge base and is in the business of being a professional BS-er (Sales Manager). By light polish, you mean something like Meguiars Speed Glaze #80?
Old 03-26-06, 06:59 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, exactly. A car right off the boat should require the following (in my experience with doing it for dealers and on my own cars)

1) Remove protective film with an APC
2) Wash the car
3) Clay the car thoroughly (this is good for cars that come from overseas)
4) Polish with a light polish. Megs #80 is a good example. I like Klasse AIO for this too. Very light marring removal abilty, but more importantly brings out the paints shine.
5) Dress the trim and tires
6) Wax/Seal

That's it. Unless otherwise damaged (which I mentioned is unlikely) the paint should be in perfect shape off the boat. The swirls people see on their cars from dealers are almost *always* a result of dealer prep. The dealers mean well, I'm sure - but if you've ever seen their bays you've seen the big bristle brushes they wash cars with, and their "detailers" are more often than not young kids who are paid minimum wage to get through as many cars as possible in the shortest amount of time. This is why you'll often hear about people telling dealers not to wash their cars when they bring them in for service, etc.

The thing about a re-paint on your car worries me. Assuming you're ok with the re-paint though, I would tell them to pay you to have an independant reputable detailer fix the paint for you. I'd imagine at this point (disregarding any re-paint problems) that you need a clay, two polish steps (compound then finish), and some wax/sealant. Depending on where you live in FL I'd guess that it'll cost between $200-$350. This is just a guess based on what you've said so far. I hope this helps.