Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next Acura NSX Has Ferrari F430 in Its Sights

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-06, 12:56 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Next Acura NSX Has Ferrari F430 in Its Sights

TOKYO — Work on Honda's replacement for the much loved Acura NSX supercar is progressing, and Honda has Ferrari's F430 in its sights with the new car.

Prototypes are already testing in Japan, according to company insiders, and the car is said to be based on the stunning HSC concept car of 2003. The car's styling is said to preview an all-new design direction for Honda's U.S. upscale brand, Acura. But different drivetrain layouts are under evaluation: midengined (like the old NSX) and front-engined prototypes are reportedly being tested.

The new model is designed to challenge the Ferrari F430, the Lamborghini Gallardo and the forthcoming Lexus supercar, and Honda wants to reinforce its race-bred Formula 1 credibility with the car, which is expected to hit showrooms in 2009.

Power is expected to come from a high-revving, normally aspirated 500-hp, V10 engine, with electronically controlled all-wheel drive derived from the next-generation Legend sedan.

What this means to you: The old NSX is a hard act to follow, but Honda's engineers are undoubtedly up to the task.

Source: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...cleId=109734#2
Old 03-23-06, 01:00 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That looks a TON like a Murcielago from that angle

Really I think all they need to do is shoot for the handling. They've already got a 500hp V10 lined up for it, and Ferrari's are fast in straight lines, but every enthusiast knows that there's no matching Ferrari handling.
Old 03-23-06, 01:21 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TheRupp

Really I think all they need to do is shoot for the handling. They've already got a 500hp V10 lined up for it, and Ferrari's are fast in straight lines, but every enthusiast knows that there's no matching Ferrari handling.
If the next NSX is AWD and V-10-powered it'll be more of a Gallardo competitor than a F430 one.
Old 03-23-06, 01:30 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

I think it looks really good.
Hope the price won't be too bad.
Old 03-23-06, 01:35 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRupp

I don't think they will have any problem with matching the Ferrari's handling. As the G1 NSX aged, many caught up to its handling and passed it, but it is still no dog and is among the best handling cars in the world still. This is late 80s Honda technology. What they need to do it skip those front engine prototypes and just bring out the mid engine car already Keep the front engine for the S2000 and proposed new Acura coupe. If they go front engine GT, I know I'll just stick to the G1 NSX.
Old 03-23-06, 04:14 PM
LexFather

That is a BIG BIG goal. The F430 with E-diff acts like a AWD car basically without the AWD weight and complexity. The press is just head over heels with that car.

I am sure the NSX will give it a good run for its money though.

Old 03-23-06, 04:47 PM
papachino
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Overclocker
Power is expected to come from a high-revving, normally aspirated 500-hp, V10 engine, with electronically controlled all-wheel drive derived from the next-generation Legend sedan.
Woah, the next gen Legend, where's info on this? Also that means the drivetrain on the NSX is going to be longitudal right? No more transversally mounted V6 from the accords
Old 03-23-06, 05:34 PM
jwa
Pole Position

Even if the NSX matches or exceeds the performance of the F430, would any Ferrari drivers make the trade? IMHO, an Acura could never match the mistique and appeal of owning a real Ferrari. I'd gladly trade any performance edge the new NSX may have for the history of the Ferrari brand.
Old 03-23-06, 06:23 PM
CallmeDoc
Driver

Originally Posted by jwa
Even if the NSX matches or exceeds the performance of the F430, would any Ferrari drivers make the trade? IMHO, an Acura could never match the mistique and appeal of owning a real Ferrari. I'd gladly trade any performance edge the new NSX may have for the history of the Ferrari brand.
That is very likely true. However, I'd personally rather have a Ferrari-like ride (and look) with a 50,000 mile waranty that I could enjoy putting miles on without getting brutaly raped by maintenance costs. Very appealing in my book.
Old 03-23-06, 06:43 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

For those that have never owned a Ferrari, the NSX may be a good alternative that will provide the performance without the price.

However, there is a huge difference in road presence when you drive the two. I applaud Acura for creating this monster of horsepower and technology. But when you put that much money into a car, you want more than performance, you also want the brand and prestige.

It's like the Corvette. Yes, it's an awesome car. But I'd pay a little extra to get a Porsche instead...
Old 03-23-06, 07:11 PM
kietlander
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by papachino
Woah, the next gen Legend, where's info on this?
:
i think they are talking about the current Acura RL.
Old 03-23-06, 11:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

nice, we definitely need this car. the japanese are coming back

i hope this time they make the car and also keep the cost reasonable so they can sell it!
Old 03-24-06, 12:33 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

Next Acura NSX Has Ferrari F430 in Its Sights

After it tries to take on on the track the next thread title will be "Next Acura NSX embarrassed as Ferrari F430 pulls out of Sight".

I just do not see honda pulling this one off, and I really do not see them getting MSRP on it with so many choices on the market.

"Honda" just doesn't roll off the tongue like "Ferrari" when you are sitting around talking about your investments for the past year. I'm sure it is an excellent car, but........ you know.
Old 03-24-06, 12:44 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Too many great super sports cars coming out that I couldn't afford Ferrari F430, Lamborghini Gallardo, Porsche 911 GT3, Infiniti GTR, Acura NSX, Lexus something........even BMW M5 is so tempting......
Old 03-24-06, 12:50 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
After it tries to take on on the track the next thread title will be "Next Acura NSX embarrassed as Ferrari F430 pulls out of Sight".

I just do not see honda pulling this one off, and I really do not see them getting MSRP on it with so many choices on the market.

"Honda" just doesn't roll off the tongue like "Ferrari" when you are sitting around talking about your investments for the past year. I'm sure it is an excellent car, but........ you know.
well everything has a start i guess. back in 1990 you didnt' think the kind of success lexus would have today (compare to the name mb and bmw). i still have hope in honda. seeing the previous nsx still hanging in tight (not to mention blowing the f360 bad), i know they are capable in making a car that's easily over the f430.

however, of course, how honda/acura markets the car that's another story. to me it's almost like how lexus is going to sell their lf-a when it's here (that car is supposed to compete with ferrari as well)

Quick Reply: Next Acura NSX Has Ferrari F430 in Its Sights