Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Checked out the '07 Camry today...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-06, 03:56 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Checked out the '07 Camry today...

So I got to spend some time in and around the new Camry today and figured that I'd post a few thoughts on here. When I was walking up the the car, the first thing that came to mine was packaging. As a total package, this car is so above the last model that it's hard to almost comprehend. The body of this car, if it had no wheels, no ground effects, no chrome or body colored grill...for the first time, is attractive. It truthfully looks good in person. The old car wasn't bad looking, and it wasn't particularly good looking either but the new shape is really quite attractive. In person it appears a bit smaller than the old car, and yet has a lot more of a presence. The rear end is taut, clean, and tidy looking, the side profile looks chisled and strong, and the front end is set off with a bit if flair that was absent in older generations. The shaping of the hood and bumper crease is a bit off, but I guess you get over it. For the old car, it took the SE trim to make the Camry exterior even considerable, and this time, even the CE looks pretty good. It's distinctive. I just kept looking at it thinking that it seems like the first Toyota coupe/sedan since the Supra that someone actually cared about how it looks. I was concerned about the SE's body kit from the initial press photos, but in person it plays of the lines of the car very well and looks far more purpose-built and sporty than say, the tacky Corolla S.

The packaging effect rolls over into the interior, which is head and shoulders above the old car. It's still just as functional and ergonomically sound as the old car, but again, it seems like they designed the car to leave more of a lasting impression than the old generation. The aluminum trim, chrome, and plastics are all pleasing to the touch and in unique places that make you want to touch them. The shape of the entire dash is what I enjoyed most. This time, there is finally some character. There's the central area, which seems to jut out of the dash with two edges on either side, the housing for the gauges, shape of the steering wheel, shift gate...the interior of the car is simply more distinct now. It's sporty. Seriously. I kept thinking about how the old interior pales in comparison to the new one, because for the first time, the Camry interior has personality. You'll get out of this car, into another one, and actually remember speific details about it that you liked, rather than just the fact that it all worked well.

I didn't bother to drive the cars because I was waiting for service on my car, but feel free to ask any questions or criticize me...because it's probably coming. Walking away from the car I was pleased with what they had done, but I think that considering the styling inside and out, and the overall packaging, this is the first Camry they've ever made that's got a personality, and a flair of distinction.

-Michael
Old 03-21-06, 04:31 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to hear. Thanks for sharing. Toyota defnitely did a great job on this one. Now if they only made the bluish translucent plastic easily swappable it'll be just about perfect.
Old 03-21-06, 04:44 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've seen 2 on the road already, and they look...more futuristic.
Old 03-22-06, 07:13 AM
LexFather

The interior shames many luxury cars. I haven't been happy with the last 2 camry interiors, this one is WOW

Old 03-22-06, 11:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
So II just kept looking at it thinking that it seems like the first Toyota coupe/sedan since the Supra that someone actually cared about how it looks.

The aluminum trim, chrome, and plastics are all pleasing to the touch and in unique places that make you want to touch them.
-Michael
As far as the first good-looking coupe/sedan since the Supra, I thought the the 1995-1999 Celica ( with the sleek lines and the four big round headlights ) was just stunning, looks-wise. I bought a 1995 Celica coupe brand-new....kept it for 6 years.

Since you described aluminum trim inside, I assume you did not look at the XLE model? The XLE, with the wood and chrome, is the only Camry interior that I find appealing. None of the others.......including the expensive Camry Hybrid.......have the wood. But...I do agree with you that ALL Camry interiors are well-assembled and use high-quality hardware.
Old 03-22-06, 02:32 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The interior shames many luxury cars. I haven't been happy with the last 2 camry interiors, this one is WOW
I just looked at Toyota's site to check again on the interior which my original impressions weren't favorable (didn't like the pastel blue plastic inserts).

I NOW see though that the interior is quite different between the models.

Hybrid (maybe same as XLE?) interior:

SE interior:

I really don't like the 3 spoke wheel or the round center dials on the SE. I think the hybrid wheel and center controls look classier.
Old 03-22-06, 03:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I just looked at Toyota's site to check again on the interior which my original impressions weren't favorable (didn't like the pastel blue plastic inserts).

I.
Blue is being used more and more now on dashes and dash lights primarily because for some people it is easy on the eyes at night and doesn't affect night vision much. Honda, Acura, and Volkswagen have made widespread use of blue on the dash, gauges, and gauge lighting now for several years.....and Volvo ( always safety-minded ) is now putting solid-blue gauges in all of its high-performance R Models.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-22-06 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-23-06, 01:00 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Blue is being used more and more now on dashes and dash lights primarily because for some people it is easy on the eyes at night and doesn't affect night vision much. Honda, Acura, and Volkswagen have made widespread use of blue on the dash, gauges, and gauge lighting now for several years.....and Volvo ( always safety-minded ) is now putting solid-blue gauges in all of its high-performance R Models.
its more like sea green... As I said before, we have it on Corolla Verso in Europe, and it real life, and when backlighted, it looks awesome. Lots of ppl buy that car because of cool interior...
Old 03-23-06, 01:14 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I read a review that said the Avalon had interior gauges that have a 'glowing ice cube' look...are there any pics of those? I've done a preliminary search on the web, wonder if the Camry glow is inspired by that.
Old 03-23-06, 06:58 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I think it is more due to common trends and the whole notion that blue is trendy and futuristic. Blue light has traditionally been 'not good' for vision and traditionally more distracting for people. A soft reddish/yellowish glow is most contrasting with darkness and is perceived more sharply by the human eye, especially at night. Blue's just more trendy.
Old 03-23-06, 07:14 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by enigma354
I read a review that said the Avalon had interior gauges that have a 'glowing ice cube' look...are there any pics of those? I've done a preliminary search on the web, wonder if the Camry glow is inspired by that.
The gauges on the new avalon are incredible! Here is a pic from my 2006 Avy with the gauges at full brightness and no flash, sorry for the bluriness. They really do look like they are floating, and the needles when they move have the same kind of look, the movement is very smooth and its very easy on the eyes.

Old 03-23-06, 07:20 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

Just noticed, the shifter area is shared almost directly between the newer Avalon and the new Camry...check it out:

Avalon:

Camry (looks to be the same for both models):

This isn't really surprising...everytime the Camry is redesigned it gets more and more luxurious.
Old 03-23-06, 07:37 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Yea they do look nice in person. I finally saw one a couple days ago. I think my Dad's lease is up on his current Camry in a few months, so he will definitely be purchasing this. No matter how hard we try to get him into something else he wont and cant do it. Very loyal Camry buyer since the First Generation Camry.
Old 03-23-06, 05:31 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

The first one is chopped(drop, etc), however the second one is the real deal. Doesnt look bad.
Old 03-23-06, 05:58 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default liked it in pics, not in real life

I've seen two in person in the last two days and I must say that they are pretty damn ugly. I thought I liked it in pics until I saw it in person. the front looks like Gonzo from the muppets and the rear trunk and bumper just looked over done. Looked like they added lines just to add lines.

Quick Reply: Checked out the '07 Camry today...