Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

06 Rav4: Growing up, and experiencing some growing pains

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-06, 10:02 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
Default 06 Rav4: Growing up, and experiencing some growing pains

AUTO REVIEW
2006 Toyota RAV4
Growing up, and experiencing some growing pains

DARNESTOWN, Md. (MarketWatch) -- The folks at Toyota apparently thought it was time for their little sport utility to grow up. So when it came time to redesign the RAV, they looked to the Highlander for inspiration.

In many important categories, the new RAV is now very close in size to its bigger brother. It's 14 inches longer and three inches wider, and the wheelbase is up nearly seven inches from the old one. Interior space is up about 20%, according to the automaker. See slide show.

Later editions of the RAV will be available for the first time with a six-cylinder engine; it will be a 3.5-liter unit out of the Avalon packing 269 horsepower. But in the interim, the RAV comes with a 2.4-liter, four-cylinder that's good for 166 horsepower.

While a smooth, well-refined unit, it just doesn't have the clout to make quick moves such as merging on interstates. Our strong recommendation to any buyer is to wait for the six. As for gas mileage, the four is rated at 23 city/27 highway miles per gallon and the six, at 20/27.

While there's every expectation that the RAV will have the same exceptional durability of the old one, we think the new model would benefit from some interior changes.

Let's start with the available third-row seat. Assuming you can work your way back there, and that's not easy, you'll discover there is zilch, nada, zip in the way of room for legs and feet. Your pet chihuahua wouldn't fit back there. It's one of the silliest third-row seats we've seen, and with the seat up, there's virtually no cargo space out back to boot.

Second-row passengers make out better, but not by all that much. While there's enough head room, the seats are flat and not terribly comfortable. Toyota says this is a seven-passenger vehicle, but it's really only designed to sufficiently seat four given the way that the second-row seats are configured.

Interior materials are on the cheap, side starting with a headliner that felt like cardboard. There's also a lot of hard plastic inside, although not bad looking hard plastic. Both front armrests are hard as a rock. The front seats are okay, but they'd benefit from improved lower-back adjustments.

Also up front, the accelerator pedal's too far to the rear to be comfortable for long-legged types. Toyota did outfit the RAV with a tilt and telescoping wheel, and that helps.

We thought the instrument panel was mounted too low. Similarly, an information panel below the radio was hard to read in both sunlight and shade, as was the radio dial itself.

Moreover, we thought that if you are starting with a fresh sheet of paper, the hinges for the rear cargo door should have been moved to the left side to ease curbside loading.

The reason we point all this out is that we're accustomed to Toyota hitting home runs. As far as interior design goes, Mr. Auto Evaluator thought this one was a bloop double.

Perhaps this vehicle was designed for shorter people? With the exception of the third-row seat, Mrs. Evaluator (a few inches shorter than yours truly) found the RAV comfortable.

In short, we expected more from our top-of-the-line Limited Edition, which commanded a rather dear sticker price of $27,409. In that bracket, many consumers might start looking at the Highlander, a more comfy ride.

But as noted, shorter people might disagree with our conclusions about the interior. And of course, the RAV comes with the promise of excellent reliability, outstanding build quality and good resale values.
http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Stor...eid=mktw&dist=

Last edited by magneto112; 03-19-06 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-19-06, 10:08 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Ouch! I sort of like the new Rav4.
Old 03-19-06, 11:13 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

well someone has to NOT like it, it was about time

:-).
Old 03-19-06, 11:26 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While a smooth, well-refined unit, it just doesn't have the clout to make quick moves such as merging on interstates. Our strong recommendation to any buyer is to wait for the six. As for gas mileage, the four is rated at 23 city/27 highway miles per gallon and the six, at 20/27.

Can someone please tell me a naturally aspirated I4 SUV that rips through stoplights or makes highway merging fun? No. And people who opting for the 4 probably don't care that much either. Give me a break.

Let's start with the available third-row seat. Assuming you can work your way back there, and that's not easy, you'll discover there is zilch, nada, zip in the way of room for legs and feet. Your pet chihuahua wouldn't fit back there. It's one of the silliest third-row seats we've seen, and with the seat up, there's virtually no cargo space out back to boot.

They neglect to mention that the second row of seats are adjustable, which give the third row more room if you should need it, or the second row more room if you take out the third and slide them back. While there may be more space in one configuration than another, I think that it's at least nice to have the option.

Second-row passengers make out better, but not by all that much. While there's enough head room, the seats are flat and not terribly comfortable. Toyota says this is a seven-passenger vehicle, but it's really only designed to sufficiently seat four given the way that the second-row seats are configured.

see above

Interior materials are on the cheap, side starting with a headliner that felt like cardboard. There's also a lot of hard plastic inside, although not bad looking hard plastic. Both front armrests are hard as a rock. The front seats are okay, but they'd benefit from improved lower-back adjustments.

First of all, this is the first review that I have seen is *****ing about the interior. Toyota can't please everyone, but the professional automotive journalists, unlike this person who I have never heard of before, have been raving over the Rav4.

Also up front, the accelerator pedal's too far to the rear to be comfortable for long-legged types. Toyota did outfit the RAV with a tilt and telescoping wheel, and that helps.

So, they complain, and then solve their own problem. Interesting.

We thought the instrument panel was mounted too low. Similarly, an information panel below the radio was hard to read in both sunlight and shade, as was the radio dial itself.

Little known fact, adjusting the seating position and steering wheel helps, but looking at your comment before this one you had some trouble with that one as well.

Moreover, we thought that if you are starting with a fresh sheet of paper, the hinges for the rear cargo door should have been moved to the left side to ease curbside loading.

Are you kidding me? Is this serious?

They didn't comment at all on the driveability, performance, or handling of the car, and really had nothing positive to say anyways, so am I sensing a Toyota showroom review, with the help of a salesman?

Hmm..I think so.
Old 03-19-06, 12:32 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Businessweek RAV4 review

MARCH 15, 2006

Reviews
By Thane Peterson

Toyota's Prince of Practicality Ten years after its introduction the Rav4 gets an overhaul. It may be jack of all trades, master of none, but it offers a good value

(Readers' Reviews below)Editor's Review
The Good Versatility, optional V-6 engine, and all-wheel drive
The Bad Unattractive interior
The Bottom Line A practical, compact people-hauler at a reasonable price

Toyota has pulled off quite a coup with its redesigned Rav4 sport utility vehicle. The latest incarnation of the Rav4, which first hit the market in January, 1996, and has been completely redesigned for 2006, is a practical, well-designed compact SUV that is now big enough (14 inches longer than the previous model) and powerful enough (with an optional 269-horsepower, 3.5-liter V-6 engine) to really appeal to American tastes. Advertisement

The Rav4's soaring sales numbers tell the story. In the first two months of this year, Rav4 sales are up 117% to 20,450, while sales of the Honda CR-V, probably its most direct competitor, have fallen 8% to 19,646. If the trend continues, that's a big reversal. Last year, Honda sold more than 150,000 CR-Vs, more than double the Rav4's sales of 70,000 units for the year. In fact, one of the few negatives about the Rav4 is that you may have to wait awhile to get one with the features you want.

PLAY DRESS UP. One reason the new Rav4 is popular is that it offers such good value for your money. The base model Rav4 starts out at just $20,905 with front-wheel drive and $22,305 with four-wheel drive. The fancier Limited version -- which comes with dual-zone climate control, a roof rack, a power driver's seat, and a six-CD changer -- starts at $23,160 with front-wheel drive and $24,560 with all-wheel drive. Add about $1,500 for the sport version of the car with a stiffer suspension system and big 18-inch wheels, plus another $2,000 or so for the bigger six-cylinder engine.

What this means in plain language is that you can get the Rav4 in versions to suit just about every taste. The base model is an inexpensive small SUV that can be had with four-wheel drive if you live in the snowbelt and without if you don't. Opt for the six-cylinder engine and sports suspension and it's a speedy performance car that can jump from 0 to 60 in less than seven seconds.

Throw in the optional third-row seat ($810) and it becomes a carpooling vehicle for suburban soccer parents. The Rav4 isn't meant to be luxurious, but you can also opt for a fair number of creature comforts and safety features if you want them, including leather seats ($1,050), heated seats ($440), a moonroof ($900), and side and side-curtain airbags ($610).

The big question you face right off the bat is whether to pay the extra two grand for the V-6 engine. If you do a lot of highway driving, I'd say go for it because it probably won't affect your fuel consumption all that much.

CHOOSE POWER. With the standard 166-horsepower four-cylinder engine engine, the Rav4 is rated to get 23 mpg in the city and 29 on the highway (or 23 and 28 with four-wheel drive), only slightly better than the 20 in the city and 28 on the highway it's rated to get with the bigger engine (or 20 and 27 with four-wheel drive). In 425 miles of mainly highway driving of my test car with the four-cylinder engine and four-wheel drive, I got 24.7 miles per gallon.

If you're into fast driving, the bigger engine will dramatically add to the fun of driving the Rav4. As Leo, a reader of my review of the Subaru WRX noted, the V-6-powered Rav4 is one of the few small SUVs that can compete with the little Subaru station wagon's speediness.

The four-cylinder engine should be adequate for most people, but it's not especially exciting to drive. In town, it's sprightly without being particularly sporty, though there's a surprising amount of oomph when you pull out into the passing lane at highway speed. The ride is very smooth, but with enough road feel so you know it when you go over a bump. The steering is tight but a little heavy. I felt like I was working a little harder than in most compact cars.

WISHFUL SHIFTING. Unfortunately, the Rav4 only comes with an automatic transmission, and the four-speed automatic that's paired with the smaller engine is a little loud. The Subaru WRX, which can be had with a stick shift and has a lower center of gravity, handles better. For that matter, so does the Toyota-made Scion tC , which has the same standard four-cylinder engine as the Rav4 and also can be ordered with a stick shift.

The Rav4 isn't by any means a rough and ready off-road vehicle, but it handles winter driving conditions quite well. It has an intelligent four-wheel-drive system that automatically distributes power based on road conditions -- so much of the time it's actually in front-wheel drive only. But you can push a button to keep the four-wheel drive permanently on when you need to power out of a snowdrift.

There's also "hill start assist" to keep you from rolling backward when you take off from a standing start on an incline and "downhill assist control" that intervenes to keep your speed steady when you're driving down a steep slope.

IN ITS PLACE. What really stands out about the Rav4 is its practicality. The third seat is probably too tight for adults, but it's a great option for those who regularly travel with small children. The Rav4 has numerous cupholders, and there are handy storage bins and niches everywhere.

These include a small separate compartment above the glove compartment, a small flat space for papers over the CD bin between the front seats, and an underfloor cargo area in the back where the spare normally would be (the Rav4's full-size spare tire rides on its rear-end, outside the passenger compartment).

There are also bins for maps, purses, and magazines in the doors, nets on the backs of the front seats for stowing magazines and papers, and another net behind the second row of seats.

JUST FINE. In terms of looks, the interior is nothing special. The black cloth upholstery in the base model is functional and looks quite durable, but it's but not very attractive. The center stack looks like an implant made out of R2D2 robot parts, which is fine if you're a Star Wars fan but out of place in such a functional vehicle. The big chrome Toyota logo on the steering wheel looks a little tacky.

Still, the Rav4 gives you tons of features and technology for your money, as well as many thoughtful design touches. It isn't perfect, but if you're looking for a practical, versatile set of wheels at a reasonable price, you'll want one.

Peterson reviews cars for BusinessWeek Online

source HERE
Old 03-19-06, 02:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

While no doubt the new RAV-4 has some nice features ( chief among them, of course, is the new V6 and the 3rd-row seat ) I'm afraid that Toyota may end up robbing Peter to pay Paul here....this new, larger RAV-4 may cut substantially into the Highlander's sales.

The article that MPLexus posted also mentioned cheap plastic interior pieces and unimpressive trim. This is true to some extent, and is also noticeable on the latest-generation 4Runner and Tacoma....perhaps one of the things that is contributing to Toyota's huge profits and enormous cash-flow in recent years. However, typical of Toyota, those cheap-looking pieces are extremely well-assembled, with minute panel gaps and no squeaks or rattles.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-19-06 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-19-06, 02:48 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Until it hopefully gets redesigned next year. But I understand what you mean. In some ways the Rav4 is bigger. I highly doubt they would enlarge the Highlander by much, but I can see it becoming more of a true crossover. Like that concept they showed last year in NY. Toyota has a hell of a lot of SUV's right now.
Old 03-19-06, 03:30 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sat in the resdesigned RAV4 at some shows recently and could not believe how little room there was. Even with the driver's seat all the way back my knee (at 6'3") was just a 1/4 inch from the dashboard which is unacceptable. If there was any sort of crash my knee would get shattered. While I was sitting in the car some other people were trying out the 2nd row seats, and even after adjusting them they still couldn't fit comfortably. These were not exactly big people either. They were shorter than me. On the last gen RAV4 I fit great in the driver's seat at least and had plenty of room. "robbing Peter to pay Paul" Yeah exactly. Cut down on front row room and 2nd row room so that you can market a 6/7 passenger vehicle even though that's nonsense. They should have left it as a 5 seater and then enlarged the next-gen Highlander to a more useful 3-row vehicle (which I understand they're doing). So why the 3-row RAV4?

I was going to recommend that my parents check out the RAV4 for a replacement for one of their aging Camrys but after this I don't think they'd be interested. They're both a bit on the tall side also. And I don't know what it is lately, but new Toyota designs are making flat out horrible use of space. The IS's backseat is useless. Even the GS is cramped on the inside. I cannot fit at all in the back of the new Camry due to poorly designed footwells and because of the front seat backs that arch back into my knees. Then there's this RAV4. The only thing I fit great in from Toyota these days is the Avalon (and our Highlander). Everything else is on the cramped side.
Old 03-19-06, 03:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
The only thing I fit great in from Toyota these days is the Avalon (and our Highlander). Everything else is on the cramped side.
A little off-topic, maybe, but you could do a lot worse than the new Avalon. it is an excellent car, particularly the drivetrain, though I have mentioned several times I don't think much of the center dash layout, upper-dash stereo readout, or the orange-color knurled-look wood paneling.

Check out the Lexus ES330, though, before you plunk down 30-35K for an Avalon. For just a couple thousand more, it has an interior that will blow the Avalon's away.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-19-06 at 03:41 PM.
Old 03-19-06, 04:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

While there's every expectation that the RAV will have the same exceptional durability of the old one, we think the new model would benefit from some interior changes.
Agreed.

Second-row passengers make out better, but not by all that much. While there's enough head room, the seats are flat and not terribly comfortable.
Worse, the seat backs of the second row don't recline much beyond BOLT UPRIGHT which would be VERY uncomfortable on all but a trip to Starbucks. They do slide forward/backward, but still don't provide enough legroom for someone 6' or more. The Honda Element is palacious in comparison.

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Can someone please tell me a naturally aspirated I4 SUV that rips through stoplights or makes highway merging fun?
One as heavy as a Rav-4 (3600lbs) - um... trying to think of one. Only the Honda Element comes to mind, and yes, that's slow and under-powered too.

They neglect to mention that the second row of seats are adjustable, which give the third row more room if you should need it
But that makes the second row useless. Face it, the 3rd row was just for marketing purposes.

First of all, this is the first review that I have seen is *****ing about the interior.
Well I've *****ed about it a couple of times on here.